Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I think he fell 200ft. I would wonder if he even wore a chute. I doubt it.

Russix, that base jumper probably had the rip cord in their hand and yanked it the second their feet left. And totally expecting it, I might add.

This guy is focused on jumping from one craft to another. When you miss, there's that second of "You gotta be kidding me?!?!?!" Then getting you bearings enough to pull that cord.
    Then its too late to do anything about it.
    The way I've seen it is that base jumpers are holding a mini-parachute in their hand as they jump that immediately deploys the main chute. A reserve parachute requires 400 feet to open and a main one even more. Plus the video shows him toppling violently off the plane so hopefully he was unconscious when he hit the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    The way I've seen it is that base jumpers are holding a mini-parachute in their hand as they jump that immediately deploys the main chute. A reserve parachute requires 400 feet to open and a main one even more. Plus the video shows him toppling violently off the plane so hopefully he was unconscious when he hit the ground.
    I doubt he was unconscious, but I also don't really think he was aware of what was going on.

I did the highest bungy in the world [[at least at the time it was) in South Africa a few years back and during the six/seven second free fall you literally are just out of it. No idea what's going on, how close you are to the ground...nothing. He knew he was screwed, but your head is a complete clutter during a free fall like that.

This story is about to air on Nightline in a few minutes.

I cannot watch this man fall to his death one more time on TV. It makes me nauseous.

I feel so bad for his family right now.

Saw Nightline coverage. The most interesting revelation was that his father, grandfather and girlfriend, also a wing walker, all died in air accidents.

Let's not forget there was a bit of a Detroit precedent with the 1962 Flying Wallendas high wire tragedy at the Shrine Circus at the State Fairgrounds Coliseum.

I don't understand the bru-ha over the photos. The man chose to wing walk for a living. If it wasn't dangerous....or he wasn't tempting fate, he wouldn't have gotten paid to do so. Lion tamers get attacked, motorcycle jumpers crash, and wing walkers fall. This is all part of "lawn chair theory". If you're stupid or crazy enough to attempt it, I'm lazy and curious enough to pull up a chair and watch.

When the phone call was made to family, do you think they thought he slipped in the tub ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I don't understand the bru-ha over the photos. The man chose to wing walk for a living. If it wasn't dangerous....or he wasn't tempting fate, he wouldn't have gotten paid to do so. Lion tamers get attacked, motorcycle jumpers crash, and wing walkers fall. This is all part of "lawn chair theory". If you're stupid or crazy enough to attempt it, I'm lazy and curious enough to pull up a chair and watch.

When the phone call was made to family, do you think they thought he slipped in the tub ?
    No of course not, but no matter how stupid the death do we need to see it replayed over and over and splashed across the front page of both major dailies and a few locals as well? there was nothing "newsworthy" about the replay, I don't think anyone was confused about what happened. The replay loop was just pandering to prurient interests. He bled, so it led. I'm sure they'll figure out how to re-run it during sweeps.

I'm sure it'll be shown a few million more times over the next decade on various stunt video programs and websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It's probably imprinted on the ground out there.
    I agree with others this comment isn't right. Now thanks you I'm going to hell for laughing at that

That's the third one this week!

First an acrobatic pilot lost track of the earth coming towards him and then an RAF Red Arrow lost control.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    One brave sonumbidge. R.I.P.
    No, running into a burning building to save someone is brave. Risking your life to entertain an audience is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No, running into a burning building to save someone is brave. Risking your life to entertain an audience is just dumb.
    well, we know what he meant.

This was a very disturbing video and other descriptions of it.....and what bothers me is people who say he died doing what he loved....BS......I love Sex, but I do not want to die durring it.!!!!!!

I graduated high school with him-- A good guy. Absolutely fearless. It seems that maybe a bird either struck or distracted him as he was reaching across.

Not that it matters, but according to The Macomb Daily, the three passes, and the wind warning from the announcer were both standard operating procedures at every show....all part of selling the act, and written by the stuntman himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    This was a very disturbing video and other descriptions of it.....and what bothers me is people who say he died doing what he loved....BS......I love Sex, but I do not want to die durring it.!!!!!!
    If Im gonna die I wanna die during sex. Ill feel bad for whoevers under me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    If Im gonna die I wanna die during sex. Ill feel bad for whoevers under me though.
    ROTFL!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2