I want to get other people's take on this because it is affecting me...

Are there people out there who would prefer to live in the city, but can't realistically do it because of how employment centers are spread out all over the region? By that I mean, if your employer located in or near the city, would you choose to live in the city as well?

I live downtown and for the past few years was working downtown, which was awesome. I didn't even have a car for a while. However, that position ended, and now I'm working for an auto supplier in the western suburbs, and while my commute is tolerable, it is not ideal. Likewise, my girlfriend [[who lives with me), has been working in the far western Oakland County suburbs. She is really worn down by her brutal commute and I feel bad about it. Not to mention, gas prices between us are terrible. It probably adds an extra $400/month to our costs. Worse yet, my next position might be even further out in the Wixom/Milford area. Yikes!

We both REALLY want to stay living in the city. It's just reaching the point where it might not be realistic. It makes me wonder how many other people there are in a similar type of position. Are there people who would prefer to live in Detroit, but simply can't because the jobs are all spread around? It's especially difficult when you are a couple and both people must commute long-distances in different directions. I feel like our commutes would be easier from rural Pinckney than they would be from downtown Detroit. It's kind of ridiculous.