Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Dream Cruise

^^^^ Yikes I owned two Chevettes. I try not to think about that. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaspen View Post
    I live near the epicenter [[13 & Woodward), also own a store on 12 Mile in Berkley. The Berkley Cruisefest party is right in front of our store, it's one of our busiest days of the year and I welcome it. I don't spend much time at the Dream Cruise anymore, but it is still a good event. The only big problem is the idiot RO police department not letting anyone east of Woodward cross after 9:00 pm. We were in Troy for dinner and it took us an hour and a hlf to get home, we had to take Main St in RO to 696, to Greenfield to get back to Berkley. The traffic was ridiculous, I don't see the point of not letting people cross Woodward, it just effs up the traffic everywhere else. But I guess the RO cops need to show their muscle.
    care to share what business you own on 12 mile? wouldn't mind patronizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    care to share what business you own on 12 mile? wouldn't mind patronizing it.
    City Style

Cool! I've been there before. Got a onesie for my nephew there!

Thanks, introduce yourself next time!

I've shopped there before as well. And I did see your outdoor merch that evening as we listened to the Twistin' Tarantulas. Will be sure to ask for you next time I get a chance to drop by.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Just finished uploading my pictures from today's cruise. Thankfully, nobody was hurt that I saw from the violent storm that passed through, nor did I see any cars with damage. Enjoy.

Motor City Muscle
    Sorry we missed you!! Dave and I went through the Memorial Park exhibits around 1:30 or so Saturday afternoon as we headed up the east side of Woodward to the Chevrolet exhibit at Lincoln and Woodward. I remember seeing your coworker's car.

We were already back to the Northwood Shopping Center, heading for home for our dinner break and restup, and I was snapping a few pics of the classic muscle cars [[Silver Bullet, etc.) against the storm clouds when the deluge struck. We managed to find shelter in Northwood under the covered walkway but not before getting drenched!!!

I wasn't surprised that, despite radio announcements that the Cruise was cancelled, at least in Royal Oak, that the cars and people could not be stopped and within a couple hours, Woodward was once again cruising.

All in all, another enjoyable Cruise experience!!

SSport, nice blog. Didn't realize that there was such tree damage due to the storm.

By the way, I believe this Sunday Hines Drive will be closed to all traffic except classics. From Ann Arbor Trail to Outer Drive the road won't be shared with minivans. I'll see if I can find the link for it, but it sounds like a great event.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    By the way, I believe this Sunday Hines Drive will be closed to all traffic except classics. From Ann Arbor Trail to Outer Drive the road won't be shared with minivans. I'll see if I can find the link for it, but it sounds like a great event.
    Actually the 1st AnnualCruisin' Hines was last Sunday, August 28.
    http://www.donnicholson.net/cruisinhines.htm
    I had hoped we could check it out, but couldn't work it out. If anyone went, I would love to hear about it.

Default Woodward Dream cruise casualty.

Anyone seen this up close?

What a shame...

I have to comment on this thread even if it is a bit late. I flew from Finland to see the MoPar Nationals and the Woodward Dream Cruise as well as to see many of the historic Chrysler sites in the Detroit area. Detroit was my main goal during my 4 week visit that was automotive related pretty much 24/7.

The Dream Cruise is really nice from a Nordic viewpoint regarding the fact that there are no drunk people, it is totally family friendly, almost all cars are perfect and of course the fact that this is the Motor City, the natural environment for classic American iron. I was also happy to see a great variety of cars compared to a lot of American shows that are full of just Mustangs, Camaros and Classic Chevys.

What I didn't like was the massive amounts of cops and the fact that there wasn't much burn out action anything like that. The police presence is unreal comparing to the sunday school atmosphere. Woodward isn't really a residential street either so the cruising shouldn't bother anyone. I can see the congestion problem but if the Tupperware daily drivers would stay away the flow would be OK. I'm sure you guys would be shocked to see the big cruises on the other side of the pond with lots of folks drunk [[not good) and heavy burnout action til 4AM...and the cruising streets are full of condos...the biggest event in Sweden has over 10,000 American cars doing this in a city of 100,000 people...

I was also thinking that it is amazing how Michigan based the whole event is. There must be an unreal amount of cool cars in the area. On the other hand the event is really amazingly small to be in the US. I did see a few New York and even California plates but more than 90% of the cars seemed to be from Michigan. People here think the event is too big...I'd say it should be made a lot bigger. Chase away the daily drivers the week before, add a few [[manufacturer-specific?) huge parking lots, even if a bit away from Woodward and this thing could be totally unreal. Now it is really hard to see the cars up close even if you walk a hundred miles during the week. It would be cool to have a few huge parking spots to add to the close-up fun. Add some drag racing action nearby if possible. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the event, I'm just saying that it could be even better!

This thing should be marketed all over the world, now only the most hardcore car guys into American iron know about it and even they don't know how nice the whole Dream Cruise concept is. Add to this some guided tours to historic Automotive sites, museum visits etc etc. I spent a totally hectic week in Detroit but I wanted to stay 6 months. Maybe then I would have seen what I wanted. Detroit is amazing! I'll be back when I can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forwardlook View Post

What I didn't like was the massive amounts of cops and the fact that there wasn't much burn out action anything like that.
    Umm...that's to prevent the spectators from getting mowed down by some old car.

Had a chance to meet ForwardLook when he was in town - he is an avid carguy. Got him out for a tour of the Packard Proving Grounds and invited him to a Packard Club Ice Cream Social where he heard 56Packman play a pipe organ.

Hope to see him and more of his friends from Finland when he re-visits the Motor City.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    Umm...that's to prevent the spectators from getting mowed down by some old car.
    Ummm...I'm sure you must be joking...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    Had a chance to meet ForwardLook when he was in town - he is an avid carguy. Got him out for a tour of the Packard Proving Grounds and invited him to a Packard Club Ice Cream Social where he heard 56Packman play a pipe organ.

Hope to see him and more of his friends from Finland when he re-visits the Motor City.
    And I thank you again Sir! Didn't realize that the guy playing the organ was 56Packman though. Cool! I sent you an email a bit earlier...will be posting a great deal of pics from my trip on a car forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^^ Yikes I owned two Chevettes. I try not to think about that. LOL!
    I had a 81 Shove it AND a 71 Vega. That's quite a fall from the 71 Nova SS I had.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4