Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have no problem with cameras. I seriously doubt that the police would even be "monitoring" them unless there was a special event going on or a problem area. From what I understand, cctvs are usually employed as a way to gather evidence, not investigate. I have a friend in London who was attacked while walking to her car and the cctv footage filmed at that corner was a crucial piece of evidence in finding the thug who hurt her. The story from a few months ago of the little boy in Brooklyn who was kidnapped and murdered also comes to mind- the police were able to piece together where he disappeared and who he was with because of the security camera footage.

I know people want privacy, and they don't want to feel like they are being watched all the time, but the system we have now is just not enough. Knowing that you are being filmed might be enough to deter some people from committing brazen acts of violence, and if it is not at least there is a physical record of what happened.

They have studied the effects of CCTV in England, where they have been doing this for much longer. They found that crime does not go down. It moves. It moves to areas that are not surveilled, often much poorer neighborhoods. So, is that an acceptable outcome? We're simply going to MOVE crime around to other neighborhoods we've arguably given up on?

As for those who have nothing to fear, the danger of such trite statements is that they're so seductive. But the problem is that you don't get to decide what "wrong" is. The people who decide what "wrong" means are not your friends, they're not your family, they're not even your elected officials. They might not even be following the law. They're people who's livelihood depends on making arrests and getting convictions.

If you've never had any experience with the "justice system," then you don't understand that you offer evidence with the understanding that anything you say or do can and WILL be held against you in a court of law. With CCTV cameras, they're basically gathering evidence on everybody, on innocents, suspects alike. Is that "no problem"?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Really? No me. I'm rather have freedom and liberty.

I'm actually rather surprised that people aren't gathering in masses at airports throwing rocks at the people who favor the way the TSA handles customers.

I'd rather just take a couple extra days and drive. Less of a chance of having some creepy old pig rub my balls.
    It's people that are so concerned with freedom and liberty that seem to have the least freedom and liberity. You won't fly somehwere because you don't want to deal with the TSA? If you have done nothing wrong the process is pretty painless. All the things you won't be able to experience assuming you could afford to or are interested in experincing new things in different parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    It's people that are so concerned with freedom and liberty that seem to have the least freedom and liberity. You won't fly somehwere because you don't want to deal with the TSA? If you have done nothing wrong the process is pretty painless. All the things you won't be able to experience assuming you could afford to or are interested in experincing new things in different parts of the world.
    I think that's called a principled boycott. And those that would give us essential liberty for the feeling of security deserve neither liberty nor security.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A camera doesn't stop anything.

The money could be better used putting more beat and bike cops on the street.
    this. Im all about a proactive solution.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    You've already admitted to illicit activities on this board, so I'm not surprised you are opposed to this.
    I did? What might that be? Are you cyber stalking me or something?

I don't have any problem with cameras.....if you do, than your either paranoid or your doing something at some point that you should not be doing. According to research I have done, you are already on betwen 8-12 a day maybe more. People in Britain are on them over 300 times a day.
    Although not sure if they will do any good since I already have no faith in the DPD.

I did? What might that be? Are you cyber stalking me or something?
    I responded to your post in the Internet downloading thread. You're obviously being paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    It's people that are so concerned with freedom and liberty that seem to have the least freedom and liberity. You won't fly somehwere because you don't want to deal with the TSA?
    My refusal to deal with TSA is having more effect on the airlines that on me. Granted, one person's 'principled boycott' has virtually no effect on the airlines which is why I encourage as many others as possible to refuse to fly whenever possible. Around 500-750 miles is usually easier by car anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    This is almost guaranteed. Personally, I don't like it but I'm resigned to it since everywhere you go, some entity is watching your every move.
    I don't think that's really happening. There's no way costly hours would be spent watching an intersection all day. A live feed would only display when an alert is sent for the sound of gunshot. Otherwise recordings go unseen. Not to say the surveillance system could be abused....but the stories of a cop abusing their power has existed forever...it's not the fault of technology.

I agree with this principled boycott wholly.

You're right, Meddle. Less stress, more healthy, better views...and what you lack meeting your seatmates, you can make up a bit during refueling or at a rest stop!

Plus, at least within 6 hours, it is usually FASTER, too...door to door. Let alone cheaper!

Screw the TSA. Heck, I have boycotted the Detroit Marathon for the same reason! They are a bs response to a false premise...coupled with a few false flag operations that inflamed the public into welcoming restrictions which would've been unthinkable just over a decade ago.

Cheers

The value of an abundance of peeping Toms over your shoulder has just been shown in the England riots. [[Not the UK riots since these riots were confined to the England part of the UK and not in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.) The most shocking footage was shot during those days and now the police has excellent material to apprehend the bastards who went over the line. In particular the monsters that robbed an injured kid from his cell phone and playstation. I can tell you that the main suspect has been arrested and is on trail now.

I'd say, if you don't go over the line, why would you be affraid of CCTV cameras?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-15-11 at 01:06 PM.

Oh yeah, and screw their 3.5 oz liquid restriction...and over-priced airport purchases that most surely give cashola into what remains of the McNamara political dynasty, which includes more than a few of the Cheeks/Kilpatrick family, most likely.

I think this is a step too far. Here's a report of talking cameras.

Here's a report about the London CCTV system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Oh yeah, and screw their 3.5 oz liquid restriction...and over-priced airport purchases that most surely give cashola into what remains of the McNamara political dynasty, which includes more than a few of the Cheeks/Kilpatrick family, most likely.

Er... wrong topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    I'd say, if you don't go over the line, why would you be affraid of CCTV cameras?
    Simple:

You're driving home from work. There's an accident on a surface street, the road is all messed up. You check your GPS and see a sidestreet takes you to the next major intersection after the crash. You head down that sidestreet.

A vicious home invasion is committed in the same subdivision as you're driving through it. The investigators check the red light camera - that takes pictures of every car going through an intersection. Your plate number comes up.

So, what exactly were you doing in that subdivision? An accident? Oh, sure. Nobody else took that detour, did they? Let's just check your background...

Of course, the assailant could be from the neighborhood, but you aren't from the city, and citizen-on-citizen crime looks bad, and, hey, technology doesn't lie, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Simple:

You're driving home from work. There's an accident on a surface street, the road is all messed up. You check your GPS and see a sidestreet takes you to the next major intersection after the crash. You head down that sidestreet.

A vicious home invasion is committed in the same subdivision as you're driving through it. The investigators check the red light camera - that takes pictures of every car going through an intersection. Your plate number comes up.

So, what exactly were you doing in that subdivision? An accident? Oh, sure. Nobody else took that detour, did they? Let's just check your background...

Of course, the assailant could be from the neighborhood, but you aren't from the city, and citizen-on-citizen crime looks bad, and, hey, technology doesn't lie, right?
    Your going really far in hypothetical mode right now.

Er... wrong topic?
    Nah, just still a-bitchin' about the TSA...

No way that was a CCTV. That is a hand-held civilian camera...shot from an upper window or rooftop.

If it IS a professional CCTV, the operator got lucky with catching the scene, but was lousy at zooming and identifying the perpetrator.

Just listened to is as well...civilian camera. Not CCTV. There is a play-by-play dialogue.

I don't mind police cameras in public places.

However, I agree with others that step one is getting a fast response to a 9-1-1 call [[or in some cases a response at all).

Spend the money on more cops, that's what we need.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I responded to your post in the Internet downloading thread. You're obviously being paranoid.
    You're going to say I'm against cameras because I said I download.....stuff off the internet?

I won't make assumptions, but I'm going to guess at some point you have driven at least 36mph in a 35 zone, which would be speeding, which is against the law. I guess we are both criminals.

You're going to say I'm against cameras because I said I download.....stuff off the internet?

I won't make assumptions, but I'm going to guess at some point you have driven at least 36mph in a 35 zone, which would be speeding, which is against the law.
    That's a perfect example actually. I'm sure people were upset when cops started using radar guns....and to think the technology was far from perfect. We still don't like them when we get pulled over speeding, but it's technology that assists police in enforcing the law. And yes, I have received a speeding ticket and I have driven over the speed limit plenty of times but that doesn't mean I'm against any of the tools law enforcement uses to do their job efficiently.

guess we are both criminals.
    Not quite, speeding is a civil infraction, but I get what you are trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Simple:

Technology doesn't judge people, it records what it sees. From what you are saying, the police would base their entire investigation on some footage of an out-of-town plate rather than investigate the entire crime scene. The police would probably run the plates, yes. And if the DL photos matches a positive ID by the victim, then yes I guess there's a big problem where the guy had a look-alike and was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The fuzz mounted some cameras on top of the power poles at the corner of my boyfriend's street about 7-8 years ago [[in decoyville). Within days, the cameras were shot out. Then the fuzz hung new cameras in a different position shielded with metal plates. The trappers paid crakheads to climb up the poles and knock them down [[the camera pieces laid in the street for days). Then the fuzz set up shop in a former storefront and pointed cameras at the entrances and exits of the sub from inside the building. The place was outed by a DPD officer who had family in that sub, and the building was broken into and the cameras were stolen.

The fuzz got pissed off and showed up in their raid vans, rounded up some of the well-knowns, who were promptly replaced by their workers, a few people shot each other, and the beat went on...

Still goes on.

I've got dozens of stories just like this one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast