Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Detroit Stove Works was owned by my grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Figures that the d-bag Buy American would jump to conclusions. It's probably struck by lightning.
    Ahhh yes, but it was Detroit, so it was "their" lightning. And all [[ex-) Detroiters know that "their" lightning just doesn't give a damn about "our" history. Why with "their" lightning it's just "burn baby, burn." "Their" lightning just shows no respect at all for anything, it just seems to strike randomly at anything it feels like hitting. "Our" lightning - pure electric white lightning it is too - would, of course, never act that way. It would strike, with deep respect for "our" history and culture, only at "their" crimal and miscreant lightning. Why, that big wooden stove would still be standing today if it were placed where only "our" lightning exists, and "their" lightning fears to strike.

Does anyone know how extensive the damage is? The links above just mention that it caught fire, not that it is damaged beyond repair.

Another Detroit landmark relegated to memory now. I passed that stove countless time going to Belle Isle growing up.

I could be cynical and say it just joins 75% of the rest of the city....but I won't say that.

Anyone remember what year it left E. Jefferson & the Boulevard? '65-70-ish?

Buy American Guest

I wonder what the percentage of lightening strikes versus arsonist fires there are in Detroit?

@DINNC and Brushstart, Michigan DOES still have a state fair, it's in Escanaba. When I was a little girl in the UP, that's the one we went to. I even won a prize for my 4H Lemon Sugar Cookies once. It's been operating since 1928.

http://upstatefair.org/?home

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That's a brilliant idea, because everyone knows that lightning never strikes in Royal Oak.

The stove was hit by lightning.
    If they were being fair, everyone who wrote the first few posts in this thread would apologize. But that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ahhh yes, but it was Detroit, so it was "their" lightning. And all [[ex-) Detroiters know that "their" lightning just doesn't give a damn about "our" history. Why with "their" lightning it's just "burn baby, burn." "Their" lightning just shows no respect at all for anything, it just seems to strike randomly at anything it feels like hitting. "Our" lightning - pure electric white lightning it is too - would, of course, never act that way. It would strike, with deep respect for "our" history and culture, only at "their" crimal and miscreant lightning. Why, that big wooden stove would still be standing today if it were placed where only "our" lightning exists, and "their" lightning fears to strike.
    Great post. Yep... even the weather is somehow our fault.

too bad. hopefully it is not totally destroyed. perhaps it needs to be in the Smithsonian, or some indoor space..

Vox Guest

Sorry to say, this is all that is left.

I think it's safe to say that that won't get rebuilt.

It's amazing it lasted as long as it did.

That's too bad. I remember seeing the stove when riding the SMART bus. You can tell it was an AOG not dumb humans looking for something to torch.

Here's the best Google Maps Street View shot I could find.

Zoom doesn't work well there for some reason.

I agree with English that an apology is well deserved for the undertone of BuyAmerican's post! You can't blame everything on the Black Man, I guess "THEY" should have did a rain dance, huh?...Get the facts before you let your hatred spew, thankyou.

Just fucking WOW. I seriously cannot believe this happened. This is really too bad. I drove west on Baseline from M1 into and through that storm. It was completely full of bad stuff. Strikes were occurring all around and on both sides of Coleman Young's Border. Thankfully, there is more than enough data to [[hopefully) complete a replication of it. Let's start right now! This could be something that could coincide with and compliment the new Gateway development. This is a real situation that has so much symbolism; so much history and potential. If anything, this country loves a comeback story and the rages to riches, to rags to redemption appealing as well. Deep and small pockets; peoples who give a shit: this is it! Let's make it happen!
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; August-14-11 at 07:30 PM.

Buy American Guest

I have no problem with an apology and will say sorry for assuming it was a two bit thug low life scum arsonist who set the stove on fire.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    I agree with English that an apology is well deserved for the undertone of BuyAmerican's post! You can't blame everything on the Black Man, I guess "THEY" should have did a rain dance, huh?...Get the facts before you let your hatred spew, thankyou.
    There was no reference to anything black or white in my post. The only hatred I see is from the young thugs [[black or white) killing each other and shooting the babies, raping the elderly in Detroit, wouldn't you agree?

Dr. Emil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    [INDENT]I wonder what the percentage of lightening strikes versus arsonist fires there are in Detroit?
    Nice back pedal.

There was no reference to anything black or white in my post. The only hatred I see is from the young thugs [[black or white) killing each other and shooting the babies, raping the elderly in Detroit, wouldn't you agree?
    Don't worry, we knew what you meant.

Yet you were quick to assume the fire must have been caused by "those people" who live in Detroit. You sure wouldn't want any facts to cloud your irrational rant, would you?

BA, you are a major part of the problem that faces all us in the Metro Detroit region. Why don't you just keep running father away, since it's obvious you hate anything connected to Detroit.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Just fucking WOW. I seriously cannot believe this happened. This is really too bad. I drove west on Baseline from M1 into and through that storm. It was completely full of bad stuff. Strikes were occurring all around and on both sides of Coleman Young's Border. Thankfully, there is more than enough data to [[hopefully) complete a replication of it. Let's start right now! This could be something that could coincide with and compliment the new Gateway development. This is a real situation that has so much symbolism; so much history and potential. If anything, this country loves a comeback story and the rages to riches, to rags to redemption appealing as well. Deep and small pockets; peoples who give a shit: this is it! Let's make it happen!
    I'd love to see that happen too. I hope that when that consortium that was put together to renovate the stove the last time, they took baseline measurements of it. If nothing else, maybe something can be done with that base left over.

I hope that when that consortium that was put together to renovate the stove the last time, they took baseline measurements of it. If nothing else, maybe something can be done with that base left over.
    Maybe BuyAmerican can finance it, as part of the penance for his sin of assuming Detroiter's were criminally involved in it's destruction!

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Yet you were quick to assume the fire must have been caused by "those people" who live in Detroit. You sure wouldn't want any facts to cloud your irrational rant, would you?

BA, you are a major part of the problem that faces all us in the Metro Detroit region. Why don't you just keep running father away, since it's obvious you hate anything connected to Detroit.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Detroit is swirling down the sewer as we speak. Unless people take the City back, it is gone for good. I am not the problem, nor is anyone else who believes like I do that Detroiters have become so complaisant about everything that has happened in Detroit in the past 20 years or so...from corrupt politicians stealing from them, to rapists, murderers and yes, arsonists. From Bing to Godbee, all I hear is talk but no action. There is no outrage from anyone over the killing and burning of children, Detroit is used to this.

As I've said before, I was born in, raised in, educated in, married in, worked in, raised children in Detroit....a Detroit that was a great City. I love the memories I have of Detroit and hate what it's become. If you or anyone else think that I or anyone who feels like I do, is part of the problem that faces you all in Detroit, you have things backwards. Detroiters who don't care about their children, Detroiters who don't care about their neighborhoods, Detroiters who could care less about their neighbors or anyone else...they are the ones who are the major players in the demise of Detroit. I am outraged at what's happening there...where's your outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Michigan no longer has a state fair.
    Michigan still has a State Fair!

Just not the one we remember.

Sorry to say, this is all that is left.
    For someone who grew up on the east side, that picture is a heartbreakingly sad sight. "The big stove," as we always called it, stood on the east side for so long, and was one of the last links to our pre-automotive history as the stove city.

Below is a picture of it in 1957, some years after it had been moved from the front of the old stove works a few blocks away to the spot near the Belle Isle Bridge entrance where so many of us remember it. In the background you can see Detroit's last stove factory, the Welbilt Corp., which bought out the Detroit-Michigan Stove Co. This plant was closed that year, the buildings absorbed into the Uniroyal Tire facility, and Detroit's stove production era came to an end.

Bye, big stove...

Just sad. I would put $100 towards rebuilding the thing. Looks like the base is still in tact.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast