Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Horrible Violence in Detroit Today

Per WDIV, 15 people have been shot and three are dead in the last 12-24 hours in the city. Nine different crime scenes mostly on the east side.

This has been an unbelievably violent year.

Oh...and she just said another shooting in the last 20 minutes...teenager hit.

lilpup Guest

stay away from gangs, stay away from drugs, stay away from the clubs the thugs frequent

it's warfare, not random

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    stay away from gangs, stay away from drugs, stay away from the clubs the thugs frequent

it's warfare, not random
    Do you know for a fact that all 15 shootings are not random?

The media reports are not very specific.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post

it's warfare, not random
    Sorry to ruin your theory, but at at least one of the victims was indeed random. He was robbed & shot while changing a flat tire on Greenfield south of W. Outer Drive.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Sorry to ruin your theory, but at at least one of the victims was indeed random. He was robbed & shot while changing a flat tire on Greenfield south of W. Outer Drive.
    1 out of 16 [[and more in the long view) isn't enough of a deviation to entirely dismiss a theory. The vast majority of gunplay and homicide in the city isn't random.

There are no specifics on any of the news sites....

The perps are getting younger. As the lady in the interview said "trickle down violence". I miss those lazy hot Detroit summers.

Sounds like Chicago or New York or Philly or Oakland.

Situation normal.

Don't like it? Blame the Supreme Court and their policy on striking down gun control laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Don't like it? Blame the Supreme Court and their policy on striking down gun control laws.
    yeah, cause what do you think the odds are that the guns used in these shooting were legal registered guns?

always wondered why people want to disarm innocent and law abiding citizens....

Steve bennet Guest

Situation normal.

Agreed.

Plus continuing the "war on drugs",

Situation normal.

With all due respect, no, this is not just like Chicago, NYC, Philly, or Oakland

From the 2010 Uniform Crime Reports
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...4/table-4/view

Detroit Population 713,777 Murders 310
    Oakland 390,724 90
    Chicago 2,695,598 432
    New York 8,175,133 536
    Philadelphia 1,526,006 306

Sure looks to me like the average resident of Detroit has a way higher chance of being murdered than the residents of the other cities mentioned. It doesn't do anyone any good to close our eyes and chant, "It's just as bad in other places".

Now, as far as the second point goes, I'm not an NRA member, or even an NRA sympathizer, and I believe some kinds of gun control could be good, but to the extent the murders are a result of gang violence, what earthly good would gun control do? Did the gangs of the 20's and 30's worry that Thompsons were illegal? Would today's gangs let gun control stop them? Yes, making guns harder to get would make the "person gets pissed off at his/her spouse, kid, parent, neighbor, random stranger" or "person mistakes spouse or kid for an intruder" type of killing less likely, but really, how prevalent are these last types compared with gang killings in Detroit? And the question is still open as to why Detroit is so much more violent than other cities.

Situation normal.

So then, we're supposed to be unarmed and protect our families how?

So wait, the fire house incident is had 2 shootings nearby? Were the other shootings from random spots around town or in the same area?

Normal or not, it's still a tragedy, a sin and a shame. It's sad but here in the United States, we've grown very used to people killing each other. What will it take for us to step back and say to ourselves that this is neither normal nor feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Normal or not, it's still a tragedy, a sin and a shame. It's sad but here in the United States, we've grown very used to people killing each other. What will it take for us to step back and say to ourselves that this is neither normal nor feasible?

I was a Detroiter many years ago when it was a marvelous place to grow up. I have sadly watched it's demise and pray that one day, not for myself, but for the others that are and will be missing out on the great city Detroit was, and I believe, can still be.

One of the threads of thought that I have observed here, with grief, is the often spoken attitude of violence is everywhere so get over it. Learn to live with it. NO, NO, NO.......

Nothing good will happen in Detroit until that violence is stopped. Yes, all cities have violence but folks don't learn to accept it and go about their way. They fight back, they demand their officials address the issues, they address the issues by protecting their neighborhood and by addressing the violence in the media. I really can't offer any other solutions but to say that as long as folks accept these horrific actions they will continue. Stand up and scream.......

yeah, cause what do you think the odds are that the guns used in these shooting were legal registered guns?
    They had to come from somewhere. If they weren't manufactured or available for sale initially, they couldn't be stolen or blackmarketed.

They had to come from somewhere. If they weren't manufactured or available for sale initially, they couldn't be stolen or blackmarketed.
    so by banning them you get rid of them, right.... how that working for you with drugs? yeah.......

It's kind of naive to assume that banning guns means there are no guns. There's a pretty large black market in this country, from my understanding. Most felons could probably get a gun if they knew where to look.

Criminals get guns one way or another. They don't care about laws.

Not to pour salt on an open would, but even city residents can't help to make it better.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/28858171/index.html

Full moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Full moon.
    I was thinking that too, but I didn't want to be the one to bring up the superstition card.

Hey, it could have been a factor. That is for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Full moon.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast