Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    My Garmin has the Garmin Lock feature. It makes it so that the GPS is locked until enter a code or go to an "unlock location". If your GPS has a similar feature you won't have to delete your address.
    hmmmmmm....have to check that out.

i saw that guy today, first i was at livernois and 94 and there was a black guy with a white t-shirt.... i then next saw him at warren and I-96, standing on the corner, black guy with the SAME white tshirt..... about 1 hour later i saw the guy, black guy in a t-shirt at mack an moross by st. johns....

he should be easy to catch, im seeing him all over detroit.......... how hard could he be to find when he's always wearing the same clothing......

But was he scratching?

Wow, so many comments!

First of all this was a factory installed GPS that was stolen. I had no way of putting it away or taking it with me. The theif literally ripped it out of the dash board in less than 8 seconds.

Second of all, the thief used a screw driver to pry the glass away from the frame of the window so the glass would break without setting off the alarm.

If you notice, after he broke the glass he got back in his car as to make a speedy get away if I had noticed him breaking the glass.

Once he waited several seconds and saw I didn't come out, then he got back out of his car and jumped in my car and stole my GPS.

I literally timed it out and it was 8 seconds from the time he jumped in the window till the time he removed the GPS and went out the Drivers side door.

This thief was simply driving around with his buddy targeting SUV's with built in GPS Units. I had a brand new $400 Lenovo computer sitting in the 3rd row of seats, and I had a $10 bill in the cup holder that he did not touch.

I had the same problem last September with someone also trying to steal my GPS. I was at Old Tiger Stadium on Sunday standing on Pitchers mound with my friend, when someone attempted to steal my GPS then. The guy broke the glass, but the alarm scared the guy off when the 20+ people fixing up the field noticed what was going on and looked his way.

As far as the security system on the car, I got the top of the line Viper Security system with 2 way remote and it setup with my Iphone to send text message alerts. In addition, the video camera feed is on a monitor right next to my desk.

I always park my car infront of the window, so I can keep an eye on it from inside either by physically looking at the car, or on Camera.

There was simply nothing I could do. Here is how it went down...

Im sitting at my desk doing paperwork and hear the alarm go off on my key chain. Usually a big truck going by will set it off and I'll ignore it, but it was too quiet and I didn't hear a truck go by, so I decided to get up and walk up to the window.

When I walked up to the window, and see this guy standing there in the white shirt. He sees me and takes off.

I run back to my desk, grab my keys, lock the front door and take off in my car to go after him.

I didn't realize the guy had a get away car, as from inside it looked like he ran down the street. Thats why you see me getting into my car and driving down the street as I was going to try to catch up with the guy if he was on foot.

Reguardless, I do my best to protect my property. The problem here is the insurance companies who are buying these units back as referbished units which is creating the secondary market. If the insurance companies would not buy them, there would be no demand and this crap would stop.
    Last edited by CLAUDE G; August-13-11 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks for clearing up some of the details Claude G. I didn't realize it was a factory installed GPS so forgive me if I seemed as though I was lecturing you in particular about hiding valuable gear from plain sight. It's still practical knowledge to have though but it obviously didn't apply to you in this instance.

The guy who took your stuff is still an asshat and you shouldn't have to bear the brunt of the scorn here on this site. My sympathies to you.

Hello, Claude G, you seem to be a very smart man, as evidenced by all of the safety/security precautions you took with your vehicle. A lot of people who didn't know the setup of your GPS system criticized and bit into you greatly for not being careful enough, but you've gone beyond what the average citizen would have done to secure his/her vehicle. I hope that all those who critized you, apologize to you. I feel really angry at all of these bums out here, tearing up vehicles and houses, for a few measly bucks....

....but if you are accurate in claiming that insurance companies - the same insurance companies that gouge us Detroit residents and make us pay the highest rates in the country - are the impetus for the thieves, that when they break into our cars and we report it to these companies, they substantially raise our premiums...well that is downright EVIL, EVIL, EVIL. They make enough money from us from the high insurance premiums, why do they have to be so cheap in purchasing some GPS units?!?

lilpup Guest

I leave my car unlocked with absolutely nothing of value in it and morons STILL jump in and go through the glove box and console.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I leave my car unlocked with absolutely nothing of value in it and morons STILL jump in and go through the glove box and console.
    Ya know, if Detroit had that bait car thing like on TruTV, it'd probably help a lot to discourage crooks or at least get some of them off the street. Too bad our police force is in a crappy situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    So you left your GPS out in the open for everyone to see and expect that no one will steal it? I am sorry but in this day an age with all the news on TV telling people NOT to leave things like this visible, you sitll ignore common sense and thought that no one would take it?

Its gone forever.....get a smart phone with it built in and that way its always with you. Lesson learned.....

I don't even leave a piece of paper visible, thugs will take anything any time.....
    Dude, quit being judgmental.

She is the victim and not the culprit.

Thanks for the update Claude and with such civility in the face of the accusations made against you. Sorry again for your bad luck.

I truly hope that all who made blind assumptions about you and then proceeded to deride and scold you based on zero evidence take the time to read your reply.

They might also consider the old dictum, "What do you know, what don't you know and, only then, what do you think?"

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    True as that may be, you have to take responsibility for securing your valuables. There have been dozens of news articles and on-air stories about not leaving things visible when you park in public places.

Yes, blame the thief, but if the owner had put the item in the trunk, or even the glove compartment, they may not have become a victim.
    So, if the car was stolen...

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post

....but if you are accurate in claiming that insurance companies - the same insurance companies that gouge us Detroit residents and make us pay the highest rates in the country - are the impetus for the thieves, that when they break into our cars and we report it to these companies, they substantially raise our premiums...well that is downright EVIL, EVIL, EVIL. They make enough money from us from the high insurance premiums, why do they have to be so cheap in purchasing some GPS units?!?
    I wonder if you understand how insurance claims work. If you smash a car or it's stolen and damaged and it's insured and you put a claim through, it goes to the body shop. The claims adjuster tells the body shop to locate used/salvage parts from a junk yard that are a quarter to half the cost of new parts if they can find them and put them on the car. If claims adjustors authorized new car parts instead of used parts every time someone put a claim through, the premiums would be double what they are now. The problem might be resolved if the police started investigating and reviewing the accounting books of junk yards to make sure they are selling only salvage parts, not stolen auto parts, which these guys are fencing these GPS units to. Who else would be buying these stolen parts except an unscrupulous junk yard? I don't see how the insurance are aware that these parts are stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Im at work today and some A-hole broke into my car and stole my GPS.

Here is the video of it actually happening. If you know this guy, please contact Detroit Police...

Only took 8 seconds for them to steal it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByBswv9qdcw

Can anyone determine what kind of car was the thieves driving? Is that a Grand Marquis?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    True as that may be, you have to take responsibility for securing your valuables. There have been dozens of news articles and on-air stories about not leaving things visible when you park in public places.

Yes, blame the thief, but if the owner had put the item in the trunk, or even the glove compartment, they may not have become a victim.

So when you drive a mini van or a station wagon there is no trunk!

Southeast Michigan is plagued with cheap thieves that is the real problem. Those who are making absurd comments does not understand the reality of Detroit Eastside. Detroit has far too many thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    First of all this was a factory installed GPS that was stolen. I had no way of putting it away or taking it with me. The theif literally ripped it out of the dash board in less than 8 seconds.
    It looks like several posters owe you an apology. You did everything right and you were still a victim.

I'm sorry to hear about your luck. I wish you the best.

It looks like several posters owe you an apology. You did everything right and you were still a victim.

I'm sorry to hear about your luck. I wish you the best.
    You did every thing you could. Bad luck and Assholes seem to walk the streets.

yea you may be lucky you didn't walk in on that happening. Nobody needs to get shot over a GPS and well... You would have been dealing with someone thats making desperate moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    You would have been dealing with someone thats making desperate moves.
    The problem is that with some of these criminals, including ones that know how to take a dash mounted GPS out in 8 seconds, this is not desperation and is instead a lifestyle.

I wonder how many of the people blaming the victim in this thread are the same people who complain when retail businesses in the city "disrespect the neighborhood" by employing "excessive" security measures such as bullet-proof glass, security guards and cameras.

Can't have it both ways, guys.
    Last edited by artds; August-14-11 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Yeah. I apologize. I assumed it was a portable GPS... Pretty fucked up that he was able to pop out an in-dash GPS in a couple of seconds. But it's pretty clear from the video that they are "professionals" who were casing the area.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3