Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Yes we would.If they have a proven track record of fiscal awareness.We voted for Barry the Fool,er community org,er voted present with no clue....
    Yep. And a lot of white folks all over the country are telling each other they'll never make that mistake again... hey, they gave the black guy three good years... a fair chance, and as much time as they gave the...

Oh, wait.

Black Americans are voting with their feet all over the country and especially in Detroit. If they had any problem living in places with white mayors, the suburbs of the United States wouldn't be diversifying.

Also, there are several white Detroit political activists whom I believe would be great as mayor. I went to high school with a rising star in the Democratic Party. He's a politically active white guy, very respected, and comes from a labor/political family. If he threw his hat in the ring, I'd sign up with him tomorrow...

...because he's not afraid of black people. He's a lifelong Detroiter who knows the entire city, not just parts of it. Now, you don't have to be from here, but you do have to do what it takes.

If you're reading this, and you're white, and have political ambitions in this city, you've got to get around to the entire city. We had some great folks up for Charter Commission, a few of whom even post here, but you've got to work the Inner City Sub Center as much as you do Corktown. You've got to get to the churches and the black Greeks. You've got to talk to everyone, even if you disagree, even if you think that the citizens are illiterates and their leaders are a bunch of clowns... and you can't show them that, either. You've got to make common cause with the people and feel as if their voices are heard. [[I hate to say this, but I've figured out that here in Detroit, it's not what you do for people, it's whether or not you listen to their concerns, and don't look down on them. Yes, I know. But that's the way it is.)

I am sure that we'll have a Latino councilperson from SW Detroit in 2013; perhaps we'll also have some white council members IF they actually do the tough work of dealing with the Detroit political machine. Because no matter what people think of the dominant group of Detroit activists, loudmouths, organizers, etc. they are the ones who GOTV on Election Day.

"If you're reading this, and you're white, and have political ambitions in this city, you've got to get around to the entire city..."

That wont be necessary for council seats after the new charter amendments kick in.

I know a few white people who have tossed running for council around in front of me lately, and they all thought they wouldn't have a prayer before council-by-district turned into reality. Of course, they all want to run in the districts where Corktown and Midtown are [[a lot less work there).

I'm already preparing for the nonsense.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-08-11 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    "If you're reading this, and you're white, and have political ambitions in this city, you've got to get around to the entire city..."

That wont be necessary for council seats after the new charter amendments kick in.

I know a few white people who have tossed running for council around in front of me lately, and they all thought they wouldn't have a prayer before council-by-district turned into reality. Of course, they all want to run in the districts where Corktown and Midtown are [[a lot less work there).

I'm already preparing for the nonsense.
    Yes, I know. I am too.

I've had those kinds of conversations with a few of my wonderful, idealistic buddies. If they think it's as simple as getting elected from Midtown or Corktown and not dealing with the rest of the city, they've got another think coming. A lot of them want to make the world a better place, but the folks in the Detroit political machine are professionals. Politics and activism are two different things.