The Detroit Police Department is rolling out a program this week to move officers from behind desks onto the streets, as the city is on pace to log the highest per-capita murder rate in a decade.
Operation Inside Out: Night Angels requires officers assigned to desk jobs to put in eight hours on street patrols each week, Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee said.
"That will put an extra 40 to 50 officers on the street per shift," Godbee said. "We're going to saturate targeted problem areas, so we can have a strong police presence around these places: liquor stores, gas stations and other high-crime areas."
Others, including Councilman Gary Brown, argue the force of nearly 2,800 still has far too many officers in administrative jobs.
"The department has about 1,000 officers doing desk jobs," said Brown, a former deputy chief.
"I don't want to pour cold water on what the chief is doing; I applaud his efforts to use every tool at his disposal to get more officers out there. But eventually I'd like to see those administrative officers on the street full-time and replace them with civilians."
From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110808/...#ixzz1URwSAjkv

I concur with Coucilman Gary Brown. We need more of an effort than this.

All 1000 desk jockeys need to be on the street. If they do not want to be on the street then retire or quit.