Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I'd like my "cushy" and "government" now, please. I've never seen any cush where I work and I certainly don't work for the government, nor do I work for the city. DPS is not "government". We don't get government benefits or pension.

It is true that they extort money from taxpayers, though...but only to pay for new vehicles and lavish trips and other things that have nothing to do with educating the kids. I have YET to find ANY novels in the building I am in...and I've looked in every nook and corner that I can find [[it's worse than it was at Cooley as far as books go). I've tried to get them, even offerning to go pick them up [[in MY truck with MY gas on MY time). No one can seem to track them down. I am in the process of ordering some for a buck each + shipping [[at 140 copies) online [[out of MY pocket). Where is the "cushy" in THAT? That money could be going for something else but I care about those kids and feel that they should have what the kids in the burbs have [[as far as experiences go so they won't get to college or where ever and feel stupid because they weren't exposed to something that they SHOULD have been exposed to in school).

Please let me know where to find "cushy", I seem to have missed that part in orientation. Oh wait, it must be hiding out with the novels that I should have in the building. Perhaps it's in the warehouse that no one can seem to get into to get the required tools for our jobs! Maybe it's in the back of the new Tahoe? I hear they are pretty cushy.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; August-12-11 at 06:16 AM.

lilpup Guest

Thanks for solidifying my opinion that taxpayer funded jobs should not be allowed to unionize.

That right should only be granted to the private sector.

Buy American Guest

Jealousy...resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

lilput has a real problem, it's obvious.

I've never much understood why certain working class individuals choose to insult and wish ill upon other working class individuals in support of big business interests. It seems more logical to look out for yourself instead of expecting Walmart / Nike / Coca-Cola / General Motors to tuck you in at night.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Thanks for solidifying my opinion that taxpayer funded jobs should not be allowed to unionize.
    Ha, I've always said that.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    A tempest in a teapot. The job comes with a car. The guy needs a bodyguard or two because many citizens threaten him. The vehicle he inherited too well-used. He needs a big vehicle. My little car cost $20,000 a few years ago. This is nothing.
    And remember, the problem with the Red Navigator was that it wasclandestinely purchased from DPD funds and outfitted, not for the Mayor [[who had already spent $1 million on his fleet of Navigators after refusing to use Archer's Lincoln) but for his wife's use.
    the navigator, in my opinion, was a symbol of flagrant abuse of funds and greed in general. And considering what i have seen when attending/working in DPS, i would say that teachers are more at risk for harm and in need of bodyguards. In addition, 110,000 miles is nothing for today's cars, and a 1000.00 fix is better than 40,000 considering the currently financial situation which cannot be compared, in my opinion, with other school districts. Most importantly, most of the citizens of Detroit who are DIRECTLY affected by what is going on in with the DPS that i have spoken to see this latest move as a continuation of abuse of funds and a slap in the face.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crosswordgirl View Post
    the navigator, in my opinion, was a symbol of flagrant abuse of funds and greed in general. And considering what i have seen when attending/working in DPS, i would say that teachers are more at risk for harm and in need of bodyguards. In addition, 110,000 miles is nothing for today's cars, and a 1000.00 fix is better than 40,000 considering the currently financial situation which cannot be compared, in my opinion, with other school districts. Most importantly, most of the citizens of Detroit who are DIRECTLY affected by what is going on in with the DPS that i have spoken to see this latest move as a continuation of abuse of funds and a slap in the face.
    I would bet $1,000 that the Durango with 110,000 miles on it never had a bit of recommended maintenance, ie., oil changes, tires rotated, etc., in the years it was used by the previous administration. That Durango, with proper maintenance, would have been in good shape if taken care of properly, no doubt!

What Jeff said:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ase_under.html

No amount of rationalizing is going to hide the fact that Robert's screwed up big time. The guy doesn't work for GM anymore. Quit expecting GM executive level perks when you go to work for a failed bankrupt school district.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    The guy doesn't work for GM anymore. Quit expecting GM executive level perks when you go to work for a failed bankrupt school district.
    Not a GM exec level perk at all - it's a standard ongoing DPS leadership level perk that's existed for years [[probably decades). And it's a Chevy not a Caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Not a GM exec level perk at all - it's a standard ongoing DPS leadership level perk that's existed for years [[probably decades). And it's a Chevy not a Caddy.
    Status quo is exactly what caused DPS to need an EFM. Districts that need an EFM should not be handing out any perks, standard or otherwise.

lilpup Guest

NOT status quo as the overall cost of DPS leadership has gone down.

You people aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

Yeah, I've heard tales of fleet cars in general completely abused. No oil change, or other maintenance just drive it till it's toast. That's why when I purchase my cars used I ALWAYS do a VIN check to make sure the car was NEVER a fleet car. They're usually junk, or something pretty with severe drive train problems coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I would bet $1,000 that the Durango with 110,000 miles on it never had a bit of recommended maintenance, ie., oil changes, tires rotated, etc., in the years it was used by the previous administration. That Durango, with proper maintenance, would have been in good shape if taken care of properly, no doubt!

*Sigh* I hear you DTeacher... Here's a secret: college instructors have it cushy too! Hah! And seeing how many of us are only working part-time it's 'really' cushy.... LOL. I thought of that as I was up half the night grading my summer college class finals. And we purchase extra things as well for our students, though not as much as the K-12 setting.

As I said before there's little success in persuading some, withstanding that your points are clear and compelling. Thanks for all that you do for your students at DPS. As an instructor in the post-secondary college level we appreciate the dedication and hard work of teachers, especially in the high school level... Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I'd like my "cushy" and "government" now, please. I've never seen any cush where I work and I certainly don't work for the government, nor do I work for the city. DPS is not "government". We don't get government benefits or pension.

It is true that they extort money from taxpayers, though...but only to pay for new vehicles and lavish trips and other things that have nothing to do with educating the kids. I have YET to find ANY novels in the building I am in...and I've looked in every nook and corner that I can find [[it's worse than it was at Cooley as far as books go). I've tried to get them, even offering to go pick them up [[in MY truck with MY gas on MY time). No one can seem to track them down. I am in the process of ordering some for a buck each + shipping [[at 140 copies) online [[out of MY pocket). Where is the "cushy" in THAT?

...Please let me know where to find "cushy", I seem to have missed that part in orientation. Oh wait, it must be hiding out with the novels that I should have in the building. Perhaps it's in the warehouse that no one can seem to get into to get the required tools for our jobs! Maybe it's in the back of the new Tahoe? I hear they are pretty cushy.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-13-11 at 10:38 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5