Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Detroit's Faygo

littlebuddy Guest

Thanks for the web site for the Pop store. I will check it out and maybe order something. I also liked the candy selection. As a kid my sister and I used to like pumpkin seeds, they came in little red packs, indian something or another. They were real small and salty, but as a kid I liked them. Also like that in stores you could buy pretzel sticks one at a time, they kept them in a round,cylinder type of plastic container and you could pick out as many as you wanted. I haven't seen them in years. I really like the Germack squash seeds but they are hard to find outside of the Detroit area. I usually buy a couple of bags when I go see my folks in the Det. area. Do they still make baseball cards with the gum stick? Anyone have a good web site for old fashion candy? thanks

Towne Club was always served for the big family events like Christmas or Thanksgiving when all the cases of soda could serve 12 to 16 kids. The old cement sink in the basement would be filled with ice and then we would bury the Towne Club soda in the ice. As a kid, I always enjoyed running around gathering the different flavors in bright colors, placing them in the wooden crates and then sitting in the back seat with the bottles clinking against the crates on the ride home in the family station wagon. Can't recall a favorite flavor, but I do remember hating the coconut soda. So I can't say it was great soda, but the experience of getting Towne Club in the house was fun.

In case anyone is interested, Shoppers Market on Nine & Van Dyke has Faygo 2 liter bottles for 69 cents, plus tax.

6 pack, glass bottles at a grocery store on the corner of 12 mile and Farmington {Harvest Fresh} road in Farmington Hills, 48336. A little display on the end cap of the breakfast isle. A weird UBI in my brain.

dfunkycity Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I should again mention the admirable passion of John Nese. Faygo is mentioned.

Obsessives: Soda Pop - CHOW.com
    I've seen that Galcos place on the food network a few times.

Cool stuff

Dhugger, thanks for posting the info about 6-packs [[i.e., 'spax!) available at Harvest Fresh. Not too far from here, so I will surely check it out.

As far as Towne Club is concerned.... ahhhhh the memories. I spent my formative years Up North, so when visiting the grandparents on Beaconsfield, my first 'stop' was always to the basement pantry where they always had an assorted case or two waiting.

I remember when Towne Club was at 10 Mile and Ryan rd.
    I've driven by it 100's of times when it was there.
    And I always remembered getting soda in glass bottles of all kinds when I used to walk from my grandparents place to McNichols just east of Hoover.at the arcade [[now long been burned out) had Pac-man painted on the front. And sometimes going across the street to Alinosi Ice cream Parlor [[metal counter with stools all along) for some cool treats. Which is still there. But not opened to the public anymore.

IIRC, the Towne Club cases were larger than usual because they were a semi-wholesale dealer. They were wooden? How many bottles did their cases hold? What were the dimensions? Any photos?

Funny thing about this thread, Two Christmas's ago I got the kids each a 3liter of Faygo for their stockings, Orange, Grape, and Moon Mist.Went through alot of Faygo back then,would hide the Red Pop and Rock and Rye for myself, and a Grape for the Ol Lady.
    I miss Faygo at the Dollar Tree, Yet I will settle for the 2liters this year for the "kids". Still wishin Atlas was around liked their Black Cherry soda.

We have 6 pack plastic 20 ounce bottles in our Bi-Lo grocery stores all over Greenville, SC. Several convenience stores stores have them available as single bottles $1.19 each.

The Faygo Boat Song ... featuring The Great Gildersleeve [[in the striped jacket)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqyDj7RX6Y

Does anyone know where I can find caramel apple faygo in Detroit? I used to drink it all the time when I lived in Alabama, but I can't find it in the city where it's made...

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find caramel apple faygo in Detroit? I used to drink it all the time when I lived in Alabama, but I can't find it in the city where it's made...
    This is the list of flavors [[unofficial) from:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Faygo
    Faygo

• 60/40 [[60% grapefruit Grapefruit

The grapefruit is a subtropics citrus tree grown for its bitter fruit which was originally named the "forbidden fruit" of Barbados.These evergreen trees are usually found at around 5-6 m tall, although they can reach 13-15 m ....
      , 40% lime Lime [[fruit)

Lime is a term referring to a number of different fruits , both species and Hybrid , which are typically round, green to yellow in color, 3?6 cm in diameter, generally containing sour pulp, and frequently associated with the lemon....
      )
    • Dr. Faygo
    • Black Cherry
      • Black Cherry and Raspberry
    • Blue Raspberry*
    • Candy Apple Candy apple

Candy apples, also known as toffee or jelly apples, are whole apples covered in a hard sugar candy coating. While the topping varies from place to place, it is almost always served with a stick of sorts in the middle making them easier to eat....
      [[discontinued) [[recontinued later)
    • Centennial Soda [[Blueberry cream)
    • City Soda
    • Chocolate Creme Pie Soda
    • Club Soda
    • Coconut Cream Pie
    • Cola Cola

Cola is a beverage usually with caramel coloring and containing caffeine.Originally invented by the druggist John Pemberton, it has become popular worldwide....
      • Cherry Cola
    • Cream Soda Cream soda

Cream soda is a sweet carbonated soft drink. It varies from country to country, but its most usual property is its vanilla flavoring. Its name originated, at least in the United Kingdom, from "ice cream soda" as it was traditionally served with a dollop of ice cream floating in it....
    • Diet Chocolate Cream Pie
    • Diet Frosh
    • Diet Raspberry Creme
    • Fruit Punch
    • Ginger Ale Ginger ale

Ginger ale is a Carbonation soft drink flavored with ginger....
    • Grape*
    • Jazzin' Blues Berry
    • Key Lime Pie*
    • Kiwi Strawberry [[non-carbonated)
    • Mango Tango*
    • Moon Mist*
    • Moon Mist Green*
      • Moon Mist Red*
      • Moon Mist Blue*
    • Morning Mist
    • Ohana
    • Orange*
    • Orange Chug
    • Original Black Raspberry
    • Peach*
    • Pineapple
      • Pineapple Orange* [[This flavor had a difficult premiere in 1961 or 1962, when unsterilized pineapple juice sourced by Dole Dole Food Company

Dole Food Company, Inc. is an United States-based agricultural multinational corporation headquartered in Westlake Village, California and is the leading grower and packer of such food items as bananas, pineapples , grapes, strawberries, and other fresh and frozen fruits....
        fermented in the product and caused bottles to explode on the shelves .)
    • Raspberry Blueberry*
    • Red Cherry
    • Fine Rhubarb Pie [[Winning Flavor of the 2007 "Design a Flavor" contest sponsored in Adrian, Lenawee County, Michigan)
    • Red Pop Red Pop

Red Pop is a variant of Cream Soda that is traditionally flavored with strawberries....
      • Red Pop w/ Lemon
    • Rock & Rye*
    • Root Beer Root beer

Root beer is a carbonated beverage originally brewed using sassafras. Root beer, popularized in North America, comes in two forms: fermentation and soft drink....
    • Sensation
    • Strawberry*
    • Tonic Water Tonic water

Tonic water is a Carbonation soft drink flavoured with quinine, which gives it a distinctively bitter taste.The drink has garnered its name from the medicinal effects of this Bitter #Bitterness flavouring....
    • Twist* [[lemon-lime)
    • Vanilla Creme Soda*

* also available in diet

Discontinued

• Arctic Sun
    • Cherry Festival
    • Faygo Brau [[a nonalcoholic ginger beer made in the 1960s that looked and poured like real beer)
    • Chateaux Faygeaux [[a wine-flavored pop made in the 1970s)

St. Nick's Faygo

[[Sold around Christmas in association with St. Jude's Hospital)
    • St. Nick's Red Grape
    • St. Nick's Orange creme
    • St. Nick's Candy cane cola
    • St. Nick's Holiday Punch
    • St. Nick's Cranberry Smash

Ohana

• Kiwi Strawberry
    • Lemon Iced Tea
    • Lemonade
    • Raspberry Lemonade
    • Pom Pom Lemonade
    • Punch
    • Lemon Punch
    • Very Berry
    • Ho berry

Rip It

• Power
    • Citrus X
    • A'Tomic Pom
    • Lime Wrecker
    • Gin-Zing-r
    • Chic Energy
    • Sting-er Mo

Diet Frosh

Quote Originally Posted by Detromb21 View Post
    Diet Frosh
    Yeah, that's the stuff. Though, I've always wondered if there was a regular Frosh before the Diet Frosh..

Also, Moon Mist rules.

If you love Faygo, stop by Food Pride on E. Warren. They have Faygo 12 packs on sale for two bucks this week. They also have Faygo 3 liters.

A vintage Towne Club crate recently at auction on eBay:

A blast from the past: http://www.detroitkidshow.com/The_Faygo_Kid.htm

History of Faygo: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

Edit- Just found this page too. The predecessor to this board? http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1151753294

Lots of good stuff there including the words to the Faygo song.
    Last edited by Meddle; November-29-09 at 01:33 AM.

I am so thirsty now! I don't buy Faygo too much, but Faygo Grape with crushed ice is my fave.

I LOVED Towne Club pop growing up! My favorite of that was the clear one. Cream Soda, maybe? I was very young, so I don't recall where the place was at, but I remember going to the "pop store" [[my dream store when I was little!) and picking out bottles for the crates of pop. So fun! We didn't always get to drink pop growing up, but whenever we had a family get-together, we always went and picked up a few cases.

Wow, talk about a memory maker! I've lost my taste for ultra sweet pop like Faygo but my favorites were:

Pineapple [[something, not sure of actual name) it was really refreshing!
    Red Pop [[Ahh that wonderful food coloring number # Specter 31fX-2)
    Rock and Rye [[what a unique flavor)

I used to like a nearly frozen red pop with fried fish on a hot summer day. Absolutely decadent!! ROTFL!

Recall the red tongue you'd get after drinking that stuff. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    I rarely see the 3 liters, but have seen them at biglots before.
    The 6 pack glass I haven't seen at all this year.
    Most of the places I go to seem to not have rock n rye in the last few months.
    Top five for me would be

Rock N Rye
    Red Pop
    Rootbeer
    Ice tea
    Grape

Hmm, St. Nick's Cranberry Smash! That sounds great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    This is the list of flavors [[unofficial) from:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Faygo
    Faygo

• 60/40 [[60% grapefruit Grapefruit

The grapefruit is a subtropics citrus tree grown for its bitter fruit which was originally named the "forbidden fruit" of Barbados.These evergreen trees are usually found at around 5-6 m tall, although they can reach 13-15 m ....
      , 40% lime Lime [[fruit)

Lime is a term referring to a number of different fruits , both species and Hybrid , which are typically round, green to yellow in color, 3?6 cm in diameter, generally containing sour pulp, and frequently associated with the lemon....
      )
    • Dr. Faygo
    • Black Cherry
      • Black Cherry and Raspberry

• Blue Raspberry*
    • Candy Apple Candy apple

Candy apples, also known as toffee or jelly apples, are whole apples covered in a hard sugar candy coating. While the topping varies from place to place, it is almost always served with a stick of sorts in the middle making them easier to eat....
      [[discontinued) [[recontinued later)
    • Centennial Soda [[Blueberry cream)
    • City Soda
    • Chocolate Creme Pie Soda
    • Club Soda
    • Coconut Cream Pie
    • Cola Cola

Cola is a beverage usually with caramel coloring and containing caffeine.Originally invented by the druggist John Pemberton, it has become popular worldwide....
      • Cherry Cola

• Cream Soda Cream soda

Cream soda is a sweet carbonated soft drink. It varies from country to country, but its most usual property is its vanilla flavoring. Its name originated, at least in the United Kingdom, from "ice cream soda" as it was traditionally served with a dollop of ice cream floating in it....
    • Diet Chocolate Cream Pie
    • Diet Frosh
    • Diet Raspberry Creme
    • Fruit Punch
    • Ginger Ale Ginger ale

Ginger ale is a Carbonation soft drink flavored with ginger....
    • Grape*
    • Jazzin' Blues Berry
    • Key Lime Pie*
    • Kiwi Strawberry [[non-carbonated)
    • Mango Tango*
    • Moon Mist*
    • Moon Mist Green*
      • Moon Mist Red*
      • Moon Mist Blue*

• Morning Mist
    • Ohana
    • Orange*
    • Orange Chug
    • Original Black Raspberry
    • Peach*
    • Pineapple
      • Pineapple Orange* [[This flavor had a difficult premiere in 1961 or 1962, when unsterilized pineapple juice sourced by Dole Dole Food Company

Dole Food Company, Inc. is an United States-based agricultural multinational corporation headquartered in Westlake Village, California and is the leading grower and packer of such food items as bananas, pineapples , grapes, strawberries, and other fresh and frozen fruits....
        fermented in the product and caused bottles to explode on the shelves .)

• Raspberry Blueberry*
    • Red Cherry
    • Fine Rhubarb Pie [[Winning Flavor of the 2007 "Design a Flavor" contest sponsored in Adrian, Lenawee County, Michigan)
    • Red Pop Red Pop

Red Pop is a variant of Cream Soda that is traditionally flavored with strawberries....
      • Red Pop w/ Lemon

• Rock & Rye*
    • Root Beer Root beer

Root beer is a carbonated beverage originally brewed using sassafras. Root beer, popularized in North America, comes in two forms: fermentation and soft drink....
    • Sensation
    • Strawberry*
    • Tonic Water Tonic water

Tonic water is a Carbonation soft drink flavoured with quinine, which gives it a distinctively bitter taste.The drink has garnered its name from the medicinal effects of this Bitter #Bitterness flavouring....
    • Twist* [[lemon-lime)
    • Vanilla Creme Soda*

* also available in diet

Discontinued

• Arctic Sun
    • Cherry Festival
    • Faygo Brau [[a nonalcoholic ginger beer made in the 1960s that looked and poured like real beer)
    • Chateaux Faygeaux [[a wine-flavored pop made in the 1970s)

St. Nick's Faygo

[[Sold around Christmas in association with St. Jude's Hospital)
    • St. Nick's Red Grape
    • St. Nick's Orange creme
    • St. Nick's Candy cane cola
    • St. Nick's Holiday Punch
    • St. Nick's Cranberry Smash

Ohana

• Kiwi Strawberry
    • Lemon Iced Tea
    • Lemonade
    • Raspberry Lemonade
    • Pom Pom Lemonade
    • Punch
    • Lemon Punch
    • Very Berry
    • Ho berry

Rip It

• Power
    • Citrus X
    • A'Tomic Pom
    • Lime Wrecker
    • Gin-Zing-r
    • Chic Energy
    • Sting-er Mo

Since we're talking pop, forgive this slight zig-zag. My husband [[who was also born and raised in Detroit), recalls a pop called "Sweet Sixteen". He said it also came in a lot of different flavors. We didn't have pop in our house often, so I have never heard of it. Have any of you heard of it and know anything about it?

Yes Sweet Sixteen was also a favorite. That seems to be a rare bottle to find now-adays. We use to buy it all the time when we were kids in the 50's. It was pretty popular in and around Highland Park. 16 ounces . More than the others were selling . Lots of flavors.
    Like to see some add from then for it.

Thanks for the photo, Laughsmith. It brings back memories.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast