Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I was also awakened by the hum. It was unusually bothersome last night. I slept a total of about two hours because I was in and out of sleep. This was in Dearborn.
    Where about in Dearborn?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Where about in Dearborn?
    West downtown.

LOL, is that just west of downtown, or the new downtown in the west side?!

[[sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm betting it is that area I began boycotting after the paid parking went in...except for Dearborn Music, of course. Cannot boycott them. Oh, and Buddy's, since they have their own lot.

[[I'm still pissed what that did to the longtime favorites of the neighborhood, like Little Professor and a few other smaller joints)

West downtown.
    Do you mean in the west business district along Mich Ave?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    [[I'm still pissed what that did to the longtime favorites of the neighborhood, like Little Professor and a few other smaller joints)
    Not to sound like I'm thread jacking, but I always thought places like Borders did in Little Professor more so than the paid parking.

BTW, Gannon did you get those batteries for your Olympus? I was hoping to see some photos.

Here is a measurement I took this morning in my partner's kitchen in Grosse Pointe Park, at 4:30 after being awoken by this hum.

Attachment 10378

It shows VERY CLEARLY extraordinary energy just outside the range of normal human hearing. Those slopes are linear, and surely extend well beyond the limits of the measuring device.

There is NO QUESTION that we're onto something here...go ahead, doubters, you've got more faith than me.

Cheers,
    John
    Yes Gannon, there is extraordinary energy just outside the range of normal human sensation perception. Its God; perhaps humming a catchy tune.

Do you mean in the west business district along Mich Ave?
    Sorry, I was in a hurry when I typed that. I live in the area near Dearborn Music, etc - moved here about a month ago. Why do you ask?

LOL, is that just west of downtown, or the new downtown in the west side?!

[[sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm betting it is that area I began boycotting after the paid parking went in...except for Dearborn Music, of course. Cannot boycott them. Oh, and Buddy's, since they have their own lot.

Yeah, it's that area. TBH, I hate it over here. I never have liked it. It's a haven for too many old people and they are always cranky.

Also, people on this side of Dearborn are super weird. One morning I was waiting for the bus at around 5AM and some guy rode by on his bike and totally freaked when he saw me. He crossed the street so fast that he almost got hit by a car.

My boyfriend and I moved out this way because its convenient to the Mich. Ave. bus and convenient to where he goes to school. Other than that, I think that Dearborn sucks.

Here is a measurement I took this morning in my partner's kitchen in Grosse Pointe Park, at 4:30 after being awoken by this hum.

Attachment 10378

It shows VERY CLEARLY extraordinary energy just outside the range of normal human hearing. Those slopes are linear, and surely extend well beyond the limits of the measuring device.

There is NO QUESTION that we're onto something here...go ahead, doubters, you've got more faith than me.

Cheers,
    John
    This is fascinating. That's great that you got that measurement.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it explicitly but the assumed problem seems to be pinpointing the source [[if there even is one localized source). I Googled for things like "low-frequency acoustic direction finders," etc. and found a lot of academic papers dealing mostly with biological studies. Interesting stuff relating the distance between the ears to the wavelength of the sound to be localized.

Vague memories of bird calls come to mind. High-pitched mating calls can be easily located for obvious reasons but low-pitched predator warning calls cannot.

So can you use that frequency analyzer to locate the hypothetically localized source? How far from downtown Detroit do you have to go before the low-frequency readings drop off [[rhetorical question)?

How would you suggest going about localizing the source?
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-11-11 at 10:08 PM.

Jimaz,

I got interested in pursuing this hum when it interrupted a vacation UP IN PETOSKEY!

We were one of the last two houses occupied on Crooked Lake...I KNEW we were relatively alone...and joked a bit about surviving some apocalypse...but the diesel-drone kept me from sleeping. On the second or third night, I took a very long walk around three in the morning trying to figure out where this diesel engine was running. [[reminds me when I first moved into the Eastern Market loft, and having to teach the out-of-town semi-truck drivers that there were RESIDENCES nearby now, and could they PLEASE find another place to park and idle the morning hours away until their distributors opened to empty 'em)

Coming back to GPP, it gradually became one of my top areas of interest, because I suspected it of inducing some terrible nightmares in my partner that triggered panic loops. When I discovered that Mack's solid-silicone earplugs short-circuited those panics...I then went into discovery on the source.

This very thread was an attempt to survey others who may have similar symptoms and experiences...AND to figure out if we could collectively restore that conversation from so many years ago about the MindBox. I TRIED the WayBack on it in the past, and got NOTHING...you're so much better at finding this stuff, and occasionally you saved it yourself.

You came through in a mighty way...and this MindBox research proof is part of my reasoning of where the source truly is...and it gets gray unto black unto deep shadows very quickly. We MAY indeed be within the application stage of that research. If so...then it is huge. Evidence is worldwide that this hum is negatively affecting people.

It is clearly human-made...too many distinct changes to it on the hour and half-hour during the night for it to be natural.

Cheers,
    John
    finally getting back to sleep...

P.S.: Put a sock in it, Mahoney. Why even waste the keystrokes with your lame attempt at humor?! God's music would never, ever move any of creation negatively.

Yeah, it's that area. TBH, I hate it over here. I never have liked it. It's a haven for too many old people and they are always cranky.

Also, people on this side of Dearborn are super weird. One morning I was waiting for the bus at around 5AM and some guy rode by on his bike and totally freaked when he saw me. He crossed the street so fast that he almost got hit by a car.

My boyfriend and I moved out this way because its convenient to the Mich. Ave. bus and convenient to where he goes to school. Other than that, I think that Dearborn sucks.

I just had a chat on a Dearborn Memory sight with a fellow...about when we learned the undercurrent double-entendre of the popular Keep Dearborn Clean phrase on all the garbage cans from our youth REALLY meant and what we did about it after we knew.

It is sick to know that there are still people who are SO entrenched in their own insecurities that their actions can taint an entire area. GPP has a bit of this, and you can add classism to it as well.

Give me the little portion of experience in the City where I can never bump into any imagined hierarchy over melatonin-levels any and every day...the groups I run with simply don't notice race, gender, orientation, religion or lack thereof, or any of that tripe. THAT is the Detroit I'll be in...but I'll go back to Dearborn every once in a while to visit family and friends. More likely, I'll invite them downtown to blow their minds a bit with all the cool things going on [[and hope against hope nobody comes along to destroy all this good humor).

Cheers and more,
    John

Not to sound like I'm thread jacking, but I always thought places like Borders did in Little Professor more so than the paid parking.

BTW, Gannon did you get those batteries for your Olympus? I was hoping to see some photos.
    Perhaps, the parking was the last straw though, and the owner made that fact very plain.

I'll get out there in the morning to take a few pictures...I've a bit of trepidation that it might all actually be true. If it IS, then the next step is daunting, at the very least.

Cheers

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I typed that. I live in the area near Dearborn Music, etc - moved here about a month ago. Why do you ask?
    Not being nosy, just trying to figure out how close it might be to where I live which is near Oakwood Hospital.

Not being nosy, just trying to figure out how close it might be to where I live which is near Oakwood Hospital.
    Oh, I don't mind. I was just curious because I was wondering if you had experienced the same thing. I am pretty close to the hospital.

My father's house is near Outer Drive and Southfield...I hear it there.

Funny, I stayed there for a while last summer and ended up feeling WAY more comfortable sleeping outside...after hearing other's testimonies from Canada, there are a few of them doing the same thing.

I'll have to check with my aunt and uncle, off Oakwood and Southfield...see what they can hear.

I did some work at a fellow's house by the golf course on the west side, and I heard it there. That was when I first started doing my casual survey.

Cheers

My father's house is near Outer Drive and Southfield...I hear it there.

Funny, I stayed there for a while last summer and ended up feeling WAY more comfortable sleeping outside...after hearing other's testimonies from Canada, there are a few of them doing the same thing.

I'll have to check with my aunt and uncle, off Oakwood and Southfield...see what they can hear.

I did some work at a fellow's house by the golf course on the west side, and I heard it there. That was when I first started doing my casual survey.

Cheers
    I would be interested to know because I didn't notice it when I lived in the Warrendale neighborhood, which is very near to where I am now. Perhaps it was just the timing. It is very noticeable where I am living now.

Vox Guest

I've heard that it has something to do with the harmonic vibration of the sun.

People have complained of headaches and other effects from the solar flares too.

Here's the sound of the sun on this website.

http://www.suntrek.org/solar-surface...brations.shtml
    Last edited by Vox; August-12-11 at 10:47 AM.

This thread is fascinating. I think I'm just not in tune enough with my body and my senses to tell if I'm hearing it.

The only time I've ever suffered from ringing ears is when I've blasted my iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    From the windsor star today: The Hum is Real

Windsor has scientists working on the issue.

http://www.windsorstar.com/technolog...824/story.html
    I watched a video link next to this article that shows a woman recording the sound. It sounded to me more like banging, like construction work rather than a hum. Is this how it sounds to those of you who've heard it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I've heard that it has something to do with the harmonic vibration of the sun.

People have complained of headaches and other effects from the solar flares too.

Here's the sound of the sun on this website.

http://www.suntrek.org/solar-surface...brations.shtml

That may indeed be at least a component of it...this is so darned complex, I had to force myself to walk away from it yesterday. My brain was getting too tired to function...

Cheers!

I watched a video link next to this article that shows a woman recording the sound. It sounded to me more like banging, like construction work rather than a hum. Is this how it sounds to those of you who've heard it?
    I think everyone needs to deliver THEIR definition of what they are complaining about...because once we all chime in assuming we're talking about the same thing, it gets very confusing.

There are other environmental noises, and industrial ones...along with basic traffic sounds...that many of us have ignored until they are brought to our attention. Not all of them may be the same 'hum' I'm discussing.

The low-level hum that plagues me, is MOST OFTEN very similar to an idling diesel engine from the distance. Occasionally, and oddly WAY too often for mere chance, it will go up or down in pitch and intensity exactly when the clock hits the hour or half-hour. [[or in the case of the other morning, three minutes BEFORE the hour, exactly) Once in a while, there are distinct warbling effects to it...where another tone is introduced which creates what is known as a 'beat harmonic'...basically combining waves to create yet a third wave which rises and falls periodically. I've also heard serious 'phasing', which is way of 'bending' the delivery of the sound waves...you've heard this in guitar effects processing.

So, on our way to finding a source, we NEED to make a distinct definition of the sound first...

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    This thread is fascinating. I think I'm just not in tune enough with my body and my senses to tell if I'm hearing it.

The only time I've ever suffered from ringing ears is when I've blasted my iPod.
    Don't sell yourself short, English.

ANY local sounds will cause the ear/brain's auto-masking to engage...it can only be heard when the other sounds are gone...and takes a bit of training to hear consistently.

It affects the psyche and body in direct ways...interrupting sleep, triggering nightmares, major headaches, and in my case exacerbating a sinus condition!

If you have trouble waking exactly on the hour throughout the night [[especially at 3 or 4 am)...or having panics induced by very strange nightmares...or have unexplained anxiety that cannot be calmed...then you may be feeling the effects of this hum.

If not, thank the Maker for letting you miss all of this consternation!

Cheers,
    John

The low-level hum that plagues me, is MOST OFTEN very similar to an idling diesel engine from the distance. Occasionally, and oddly WAY too often for mere chance, it will go up or down in pitch and intensity exactly when the clock hits the hour or half-hour. [[or in the case of the other morning, three minutes BEFORE the hour, exactly)
    That's how some in the written article from the Windsor Star described it, as a diesel engine idling. However, in the video, the woman taping it described it as a rumbling. I agree a definition of the sound is needed.

My postulate currently is when there is less ground...clay and dirt...between the person and bedrock, they hum is greatly increased into a constant rumble. My bet is the larger surges will be attributed to large contruction, perhaps work in the salt mines, and Kwhyme's Comin' Out party.

I would describe it as being a very, very low engine sound. I would also like to add that it has an airy quality. Sort of like putting your ear up to a sea shell.

I don't really hear it during the day. It's at night when it's mostly quiet out, usually around 2-4am.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast