I received notice of this Sunday, August 21 event from my friend Jerry Cook, Board Member of the Jewish Historical Society of Michigan and one of the forces behind the tour. Details and sign-up can be found through their website http://www.michjewishhistory.org.

Here is a snippet:

Hop on! The Jewish Historical Society of Michigan, the Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue and the Reconstructionist Synagogue of Detroit are leading the way through the streets of Detroit for a fun-filled morning of cycling, learning and bonding. Our tour travels from the beautiful, new Milliken State Park on the Detroit River, along the Riverwalk and through the Dequindre Cut, a landscaped bike path once the Grand Trunk Railroad line and through the city to see such sites as the Hank Greenberg statue at Comerica Park, numerous former synagogues and buildings built between 1902 and the 1920s such as the United Hebrew School building built in 1922 and the new Moishe House on Ferry Street and the Oakland Avenue Schvitz. Don’t miss this first-time event!
Some of our tour stops include:

• The Hastings Street, Oakland Ave., Boston/Edison areas
  • Lafayette Park neighborhood
  • Early United Hebrew School building [[1922)
  • New Moishe House on Ferry St.
  • Ford Motor Company's Piquette St. Plant [[1903)
  • Max Jacob's 19th century home on the campus of Wayne State University
  • The Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue
  • The Reconstructionist Congregation of Detroit
  • Our thanks to Wheelhouse Detroit and M. Jacob and Co
Jerry said event close to half subscribed and advises those interested to sign up soon. All are invited regardless of faith or belief. However the event is limited to the first 150. Online registration can be made here.

Jerry also updated me on youthful Jewish activities in reviving downtown Detroit that includes the formation of a second congregation, in addition to the recently re-energized only-remaining Isaac Agree Synagogue, the Reconstructionist Congregation of Detroit. The latter is, interestingly, shares quarters in the historic Christ Church at 960 E Jefferson Ave.

I say interesting because this is a bit of a role reversal as almost all of the former synagogues of Detroit are now churches. For those unfamiliar with this Detroit story, I invite you to take my "The Lost Synagogues of Detroit" virtual tour at www.shtetlhood.com.