Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
How about greenhouses? I remember being between Windsor and Leamington and stopping off at some huge greenhouses. Maybe we can put that infrastructure [[power grid, etc) to some use since it's in place. You could have 12 months of growth, instead of only late spring to fall.

Not really serious on this idea... but just a thought.... on second thought, they better use plexiglass...

Why disclaim brilliance with that tripe, "Not really serious on this..."?!

Of course building greenhouses is the way...SAND is one of Michigan's plentiful raw resources. Anything we can do to create industry using our raw materials is where we need to direct our attention. We NEED a flat glass plant here as soon as possible. Make it able to produce the v-e-r-y thin glass necessary for solar panels, and the thicker stuff for storm protection and artwork. ALSO, able to process recycled materials, since BROKEN GLASS is also unfortunately in abundance here.

THEN, the city government needs to get off their fat, ignorant asses and move on forcing anyone who uses GM crops to do so ONLY under sealed environments. This will do a few things...keep GM crops from infecting their neighbors who have souls and brains and do things truly the OLD way, honest-organic [[not the bullshit organic certification that is purchased from the FDA)...AND have the corporate interests [[are you listening Mr. Hantz?!) pay for the infrastructure...and job creation in waves beyond the meager minimum of those working the land and those running the office. [[you can read that as land-slaves and office-slaves, for proper effect).

Every piece of land that has been abandoned should AUTOMATICALLY be classified as OPEN TO GARDEN. We need as MUCH food production as possible, if only for the deep rooting of community which Cub fully and deeply understands. Gas is going above $4 per gallon again, and it seems WAR is coming to the entire world very soon. Will Urban Farming Save Detroit?! Obiquely, yes...absolutely yes. It is not the only answer, as others have proclaimed more clearly than I am able in this thread...but it IS one of the more foundational actions we can invest our time, energy, and efforts upon.

I've got more, but know I've got to take a breath to keep this from becoming another novella.

Sincerely,
John