Hello All!

I've enjoyed reading this forum over the last week or two. You seem like a great group of folks who love your city. I'm from eastern Ohio, near Steubenville, and my girlfriend is from Pittsburgh. We're planning a short Thursday-Saturday visit to your city at the end of the month. Being a big music fan, I've always had an interest in Detroit. Neither of us are into sun and sand, and we figure places like Myrtle Beach don't really need the tourism. We're going to do somewhat of a music-themed vacation by going to three concerts in Pittsburgh, then to Cleveland to the RnR Hall of Fame, stay overnight, then finish out our vacation in Detroit Rock City.

I booked two nights at the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel downtown for $103 on Hotwire. We plan on visiting the Motown Museum, checking out some restaurants we've seen on TV, maybe going to a Tigers game, riding the people mover, and wandering around downtown to take pictures. I'm a huge Kiss fan so I plan on taking a stroll around Cobo Arena.

Anyway, now that you know our itinerary, we were wondering if there are any parts of town that have some cool record stores or neat little shops to visit - thrift stores and rock T-shirt shops, those kind of places. Sort of like Pittsburgh has the South Side and Cleveland has Lakewood and Coventry. I'd also be interested in seeing any places that have had some significance in music or movie history, however small they may be.

I appreciate any suggestions from locals. I'm really looking forward to our visit!