It seems one of the greatest obstacles for businesses locating to Detroit has been the overall presence of crime. Stores become targets of convenience because criminals acknowledge that they are sources of ready cash.

Would the overall drop off in some cash only clientele be worth it to no longer be a target of convenience? Is it possible that if stores made it clear that they were cashless stores that they would no longer be a potential target to all but some of the more sophisticated thefts.

I was talking to several friends that were looking at opening various shops and restaurants in Detroit and while crime is a major concern, the cost of retail insurance is equally a concern especially when they are looking to start.

I would surmise that if a store was verified as being cashless then insurance companies would be more apt to decrease the insurance premiums.

I don't know if anything has been done on this before, I couldn't find anything in the DY archives, but if any has any insight that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.