Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGirlsGoToParis View Post
    They are very loyal, hardworking and doing their best to get the crepes out as quickly as possible. These girls could make crepes in their sleep. To say that they are "confused" is wrong.
    No, sorry, it is not wrong. Last time I tried, 4 people before us made the same comment on the sidewalk, but we went in anyway... and they were right. I have worked in food service and I know when people are competent and when they are overwhelmed and confused. Your two employees at the Park Shelton location were the latter. Another poster [[or two) on this same thread stated that one of them was "bitchy" but I won't go that far and will just give the benefit of the doubt in saying "confused while instantly warning us we would have to wait 45+ minutes and might not want to." And there was no special event nearby and it was not crowded. If you acknowledge that Saturday is an issue then put 3 people in there on Saturday: crepe maker, ingredient maker, runner/cashier.

Not really impressed that you want to make this about me. I was one of your strongest advocates here and especially offline. Perhaps I will be again some day. I sent many people from Compuware to your old location. If your customers [[plural) are saying there is an issue... perhaps seek to understand.

As for the hipster clientele... people do care about atmosphere, clientele, etc. But was really a minor point for those who care.
    Last edited by East Detroit; August-01-11 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Bland is OK as long as they pile it up eh?

When you are fifteen or sixteen......................

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    i remember them as well but there also was a barbeque joint down the street that was also good but can't remember the name.
    Do you mean Pointe BBQ? I can't believe I forgot to list that place...

My gone-but-not-forgottens:

Wimpy's
    Cal's Pizza
    Koreana
    Reedy's
    Benno's
    Top Hat [[seriously)
    The Chambertin
    Starlight
    Woodbridge Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Do you mean Pointe BBQ? I can't believe I forgot to list that place...
    YES, thank you...i've been rackin' my brain trying to think of it. didn't they try to make a comeback at some point? i think they used to sell their bbq sauce too.

Yes, they did try to make a comeback. It didn't really work out, though. And, yes, they did sell their BBQ sauce, too.

As a side note, if anyone used to like Sabre Lancer [[the orginal one that eventually became Wimpy's), there is a place in Dearborn that captures the magic of Sabre Lancer really well in terms of layout, atmosphere and especially food. Until about a year ago, they even wore formal wear like the employees at Sabre Lancer used to. It's called the Elmhust Tap Room and it's located on W. Outer Drive, just northwest of Pelham. Give it a try...

Good Girls Go to Paris,
    I am happy to see you are on DYes! I will take responsibility for calling one of your employees "bitchy", on second thought she wasn't much bitchy, just indifferent, like she didn't want to be there. My friend was done ordering her crepe and suddenly the same girl just walked away to deliver a crepe, and then came back to cash her out...But I am happy you are on here to defend your business and I do wish you all the luck!

Is the Elmhurst the dark plush bar near Outer Drive in Dearborn? Sort of down by Edsel Ford High?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Is the Elmhurst the dark plush bar near Outer Drive in Dearborn? Sort of down by Edsel Ford High?
    Elmhust is on Outer Drive; I think we're talking about the same place...across from CVS.

Best French Dip in town.

http://www.google.com/maps?ll=42.285...55.38,,0,-1.39
    Last edited by milt721; August-02-11 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Genies weanies
    Interesting building, disgusting food!

Yeah, me and pappy used to have a few beers there. I liked that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    When you are fifteen or sixteen......................
    Cant argue with that.

Money Tree
    Joe Muer's
    Last edited by Islandman; August-02-11 at 02:07 PM.

detroitjim Guest

The Majestic Grill Cass&Henry

Wonderfully greasy breffasses !!!

I know it was a chain place which are never thought of very highly anyways, but Cooker restaurants made an awesome potato cheese soup. Anytime I see that on a menu somewhere, I'll try it, and nowhere else has ever come close.

3 bocks outside Detroit, but I really miss Sparky Herberts... What a great bar/restaurant!

bartock Guest

Nah, I think the main problems people touched on had nothing to do with his media darlingness. The complaints were about long wait times, uneven service and that the place is generally overrated. I liked it a lot, back when I could get a seat, and before the suburban hordes descended on it.
    When was that?

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    When was that?
    When you could get a seat? Oh, after it opened. I could sit at the bar and eat in, like, 2005, 2006, maybe a bit of 2007. Then it became what it is today, people hunkering down near walls for a two-hour wait. I remember when the valet service started. I thought, oh-oh, here it comes. Then it was totally mobbed. My favorite sight during that transition was a waiter chasing down a large group of suburbanites [[it was pretty obvious) who tore off in a massive truck without tipping.

bartock Guest

When you could get a seat? Oh, after it opened. I could sit at the bar and eat in, like, 2005, 2006, maybe a bit of 2007. Then it became what it is today, people hunkering down near walls for a two-hour wait. I remember when the valet service started. I thought, oh-oh, here it comes. Then it was totally mobbed. My favorite sight during that transition was a waiter chasing down a large group of suburbanites [[it was pretty obvious) who tore off in a massive truck without tipping.
    I recall it being full of suburbanites and perhaps only a 45 minute wait in 2005-2006. I usually just order[[ed) carry out.

But I didn't go that much so perhaps I missed something. Present company excluded, I saw a fair number of sniveling city hipster d-bags and suburbanites then, there are just more of both now. Didn't see or hear about the Dukes of Hazard stuff you've described, but dine and dashes are not exclusive to suburbanites in trucks in Detroit city proper.

I recall it being full of suburbanites and perhaps only a 45 minute wait in 2005-2006. I usually just order[[ed) carry out.
    Full? Yes. Crammed to the rafters? Not quite yet, by my memory. Now the very idea of a meal there is a joke. Three deep at the bar, five deep at the door, just way too much for my taste. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad it's a "success." Hearty high-fives for Cooley and company. Heck, I have a friend who works there and that person will never want for tip money, for sure. But I see no reason to wait for a seat at Slows when I can just go elsewhere.

But I didn't go that much so perhaps I missed something. Present company excluded, I saw a fair number of sniveling city hipster d-bags and suburbanites then, there are just more of both now. Didn't see or hear about the Dukes of Hazard stuff you've described, but dine and dashes are not exclusive to suburbanites in trucks in Detroit city proper.
    Haha. I thought I'd get some guff for that, but I wouldn't say it unless I'd bet good money on it being true. Anyway, it's not some generalization about suburbanites. Just an anecdote about being careful what you wish for. Want more customers? You got them. And some are d-bags.

bartock Guest

Full? Yes. Crammed to the rafters? Not quite yet, by my memory. Now the very idea of a meal there is a joke. Three deep at the bar, five deep at the door, just way too much for my taste. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad it's a "success." Hearty high-fives for Cooley and company. Heck, I have a friend who works there and that person will never want for tip money, for sure. But I see no reason to wait for a seat at Slows when I can just go elsewhere.

Haha. I thought I'd get some guff for that, but I wouldn't say it unless I'd bet good money on it being true. Anyway, it's not some generalization about suburbanites. Just an anecdote about being careful what you wish for. Want more customers? You got them. And some are d-bags.

I actually thought you were baiting me!

I actually thought you were baiting me!
    I'm not always a dick. Just most of the time.

Here are some places I miss from the past

The Sixpence in Warren and St Heights
    Bobby Moores Blind Fish
    and The little Cafe at Gratiot and Barlow.

I still miss Cregar's.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast