Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I miss the very old-fashioned Claire's O. K. Bar & Restaurant on Michigan near Lonyo. Authntically Polish from the 1950's - even in 1990. white tablecloths and czarnina soup.

Ham Heaven
    Joe Muers
    Laffery's
    Topinka's
    Bonny Brook GC [[not much for the food, but the view was nice and the people friendly)
    Little Harry's

~Sigh~

My Dad used to take my sis's and I to the Daly's on Grandriver in old Redford, I miss those onion rings. Later in life my friends and or dates and I would go to Old Mexico. Always something interesting going on there.

I loved Ephs and Agave!

Stromberg2

S&C Diner.

Joey's Stables
    Franklin Street Brewing Company

ram's horn, mack ave. circa, early 1980's. probably about 3 a.m. after a night out at the bars. grilled ham and cheese on an onion roll, side of fries and chocolate milk....yummm ummmm ummmm. wait, now that i think about it, ewwwww

GUSHI Guest

Clocks in hamtown back in the day. Drago's[[now on 15/Ryan), on Jos Campau back in the day for cheese Burek and a glass of homemade yogurt.

How long has Clock's been gone? I used to go there when I lived off Trowbridge.

GUSHI Guest

I went a few years back maybe 10. IT was open then. Not sure when it closed my buddy told me it closed.
    Does anyone remember kmarts w pizza restaurants in them, i like they were liitle ceasers in them.

Quote Originally Posted by lukabottle View Post
    How long has Clock's been gone? I used to go there when I lived off Trowbridge.
    Clock reopened in late spring with new owners. They hired my fav waitress from a restaurant in Hazel Park. Food is good, and it's still open 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    I also give those responsible credit for trying to spruce up Roosevelt Park, but those giant wooden letters "R-O-O-S-E-V-E-L-T" are tacky and need to go.
    Some of us in Corktown jokingly refer to Roosevelt Park as "Slow's front yard."

I agree, those weathered blue letters look bad. Someone told me that they were supposed to light up

BB's diner had the best burger in town, with smothered potatoes, there was no burger like it. I know I posted this before, but it's worth mentioning again.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-01-11 at 08:55 PM.

I miss the small kitchen they had in the Rock and Bowl before they opened that "pizza" place. They served my favorite Reuben in town. My buddy and I would always order 2 with fries.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Becareful what you say about Slows shitty service and agonizingly slow seating. You might be accused of hipster haterdom by the DYes community...

I used to patronize Hellas in Greektown faithfully my entire life until it closed. When I walked out of the front doors for the last time, I cried all the way to the car.

Don't tell anyone.
    Slow's is way overrated. It was cool when it first opened...but now it may as well open a location in the 'burbs...I'm so sick of reading/hearing about how great it is and how great Cooley is...get over yourself Phil.

I loved the wings at the Rivertown Saloon.

Anybody remember Samual Brothers Cafeteria at Eastern Market? Best corned beef hash and cheese blintzes! A tiny spot crammed with tiny tables and great food.

Diamond Jim Brady's at 7 Mile and Greenfield, where Matt and Pat Brady would serve you up a "Charlie Brown" burger with a bowl of the best chili around the area. The place was a virtual "Cheers" bar, where after one visit, everyone knew your name.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Slow's is way overrated. It was cool when it first opened...but now it may as well open a location in the 'burbs...I'm so sick of reading/hearing about how great it is and how great Cooley is...get over yourself Phil.

I'm not a fan of Slow's either. I tried The Rub about a week ago for lunch. The prices and portions were reasonable. The burnt ends were great.

Anybody remember Samuel Brothers Cafeteria in Eastern Market? The BEST corned beef hash and cheese blintzes. Tiny tables in a bustling place. Building was on a Russell St. corner, long ago torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Wow. Don't like Slow's? Don't go. Here's a guy [[and partners) doing positive things in the city and everyone is all upset because they're getting good press. Seems to me there are plenty of things in this city to get upset about and this really shouldn't be one of them, but to each his or her own. Get over yourself Planner3357!

I don't patronize the Michigan Ave. location because of the long lines, etc. but I love the take out place in Midtown.

rhinoceros - gone [[burned down)

traffic jam - ok but just fell off my radar and don't seem to miss it.

and steve b: agree about the "R-O-O-S-E-V-E-L-T" needing to go

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    Wow. Don't like Slow's? Don't go. Here's a guy [[and partners) doing positive things in the city and everyone is all upset because they're getting good press.
    Nah, I think the main problems people touched on had nothing to do with his media darlingness. The complaints were about long wait times, uneven service and that the place is generally overrated. I liked it a lot, back when I could get a seat, and before the suburban hordes descended on it.

I'd have to question Mario's. I never went "in the day" but the two times I have gone, eeeek. Pasta that Chef Boyardee would pan and salads made table side with brown lettuce. I guess folks who still go do so remembering the good ol' days but those folks are moving down south [[or upstairs). I think they really need to lighten the place up both visually and their menu of heavy-assed slop sauces for the business to survive- because new visitors like myself don't have the good ol' days to blind them to the fact that the here and now is horrible.

Eastsiders: Sabre Lancer and/or Club 500.

I, too, had a bad experience at Mario's. Long wait times, dishes were undercooked, bill was wrong. It might have just been a total disaster that night ... who knows?

I don't think I'll go back to Honest John's after the last experience. Waitress was cute ... and rock-stupid.

But I don't want to rag on restaurants too much. It's a tough business, and even when a place opens with a winning formula, they can be victims of their own success. And if they aren't, then the temptation to cut corners is often too great, and they can fall down in service or quality. And, frankly, some customers are assholes and make it their business to rag on restaurants where they feel they didn't get everything they wanted. [["Two-hour wait? I'm Mitch Fucking Albom!")

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast