Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

For one I never said that I had concerns about the state of the park. I said people spend so much time saving things that will cost more then they will make. It will cost so much to fix the train station then what will we do with it? If the city will put money in Belle Isle Zoo people will go. As for the clean up you can have a crew of people clean but if you have people that go there that dont care about it and trash it the effort is worth less. I work at a camp for the summer and we dont have a crew that just cleans we have a saying "It is your camp, help keep it clean" it works and if campers see other not following this they remind then to clean up after your self.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by timmyjohn View Post
    For one I never said that I had concerns about the state of the park. I said people spend so much time saving things that will cost more then they will make. It will cost so much to fix the train station then what will we do with it? If the city will put money in Belle Isle Zoo people will go. As for the clean up you can have a crew of people clean but if you have people that go there that dont care about it and trash it the effort is worth less. I work at a camp for the summer and we dont have a crew that just cleans we have a saying "It is your camp, help keep it clean" it works and if campers see other not following this they remind then to clean up after your self.
    Timmy, to suggest those who are trying to save the train station to take up the Belle Isle cause was insensitive. You may think saving the train station is a waste of money, but for some, it isn't a waste. They are passionate about preserving our city's architectural history. That said, I often read on this forum comments that state others should "do this" and "do that" about various hot button issues. "They" aren't going to take up a cause as "they" are probably fighting for something they believe in.

I'm one of those people who, on occasion, show up to clean the island. I know how dirty it can become. The problem is many visitors don't clean up after themselves. Island maintenance is stretched thin. Put those two together and you get the current conditions.