Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Seven Oaks Station, Detroit
    My dad carried mail out of Seven Oaks for about 15 years. The neighborhood loved him and he was on the softball team. This news would have been heartbreaking to him.

Any other Detroit postal workers or postal workers' spouses/kids around these parts? Everyone seemed to know each other. My dad had nearly a thousand people at his funeral, many of them post office folks... I was too young to fully appreciate the fellowship and friendships that were formed.

Here's the list of Michigan post offices studied for closing at the USPS site:
    http://about.usps.com/news/electroni...s/michigan.htm

all these post office closings bug me [[more than most) I'm kind of an ebay junkie and sell a lot of stuff, its very nice to have a po nearby.

It sure seems like the city is being hit especially hard. For example both the springwells and livernois stations are on the close list and [[aside from a little mini po in the price valley maket) are the only two post offices in SW that I'm aware of. In contrast, in the little town i grew up in there are two post offices not even a mile apart [[and we're talking about a city of a few thousand bordered by an even smaller one)

I'm also saddened to see the rencen location close. This is another one that seems strange. Now I remember hearing about the main fort st branch closing [[not sure if it did) but its especially bad if that one is closed along with the rencen location. Please tell me there's a post office somewhere downtown still.

Obviously I understand having to trim costs but to have no post office for either greater downtown or southwest?! Doesn't seem to make sense.