Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I think the home streak hurt the season end and playoff performance of the Wings much more than it helped. There was so much team focus on winning then, but that focus disappeared after the loss at home and never seemed to come back. It reminded me of the season that the Wings led the league in points but lost in the first round. For the last weeks before the playoffs, and against Nashville [[who beats the Wings most of the time anyway), the Wings were pretty passive on the ice and only occasionally displayed the aggression that they are known for.

They also never seemed to recover from the rash of injuries. Datsyuk came back, but I'm not convinced Howard and Franzen were fully healed. They missed Helm because he provides a spark and makes something happen almost every time he's on the ice, and no one else except Zetterberg and Datsyuk seemed to be able to do that [[and not as often). Patrick Eaves was also out since Nov. While not a star, he is a solid consistent player.

The Wings definitely need a more solid defense, as I expect Lidstrom will play even less next season [[if he's still playing). I like White and Quincey [[at times), and of course Kronwall, but I don't think they can carry the load. They also need a solid back up goalie, as I think McDonald is too inconsistent.

Well, sometime this weekend I'll have to take off the Red Wings' license plate frame.

In the past when we desperately needed a goal, Babcock put Z and Dats together on a line. I wonder why he did not do this in this series. The injuries killed our momentum, which you need going into the playoffs. I hope either LA or St. Louis wins it.