Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
It is my understanding this incentive program should not be viewed as an employee relocation grant or gift. This is a loan. A loan that is counted as income and will have to be paid back to the companies involved. Maybe someone who works at DTE or BCBS can clarify the particulars.

On balance I could see this program as a plus for an empty nester who is looking for a small place in the city; especially if they are getting tired of driving in from Metamora everyday, but I don't imagin any young families moving in due to the status of DPS.

Here's some information from the detroitlivedowntown.org

Incentives

If time and money are critical to your quality of life, then Live Downtown is for you. The average one-way commute in Southeast Michigan is 25.6 minutes. When you add it all up, that’s more than 2 weeks on the road annually-the national average for vacation time! That alone is enough for you to at least think about living near your place of work. If you’re still on the fence, how about some big help with your pocket book?
Here are the perks if you work at BCBSM, Compuware, DTE, Quicken Loans or Strategic Staffing Solutions:
  • New homeowners receive a $20,000 forgivable loan toward the purchase of their primary residence.

• New renters receive a $2,500 allowance of funding toward the cost of their apartment in the first year followed by additional funding of $1,000 for the second year.

• Existing renters receive a $1,000 allowance of funding for renewing a lease in 2011.

• Existing homeowners receive matching funds of up to $5,000 for exterior improvements for projects of $10,000 or more.
For full eligibility and program benefits, please review the program guidelines.
The Downtown Detroit Partnership [[DDP) is the overall program coordinator and is leveraging Midtown Detroit, Inc’s [[MDI) existing resources and skills to launch and administer the successful Live Midtown program. Both DDP and MDI are non-profit organizations.