Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Cox's big idea for a turnaround is cutting taxes. Man if you thought government services and the roads were bad now, wait until he gets in charge.
    What is with these guys running for office who can't keep their pants zipped up?

diver1369 Guest

kraig, I got one name for you. Robert Bobb. He's doing a great job re-organizing the Detroit school system, appointed by Governor Granholm.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    What is with these guys running for office who can't keep their pants zipped up?
    When Spitzer came back into the public last month, Newsweek had an excellent set of articles on politicians and infidelity which included psychologist's insight into how the personality traits of a politician can lead to infidelity. I remember some of them included being a risk taker, craving attention, and a desire to have everything. I can't do the articles justice; check them out at your local library.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    kraig, I got one name for you. Robert Bobb. He's doing a great job re-organizing the Detroit school system, appointed by Governor Granholm.

What great job? All he's done is make cuts. Everyone's saying he's doing a great job based on the fact that he's making cuts that the politicians didn't make. The fact is, we're going to realize in the next year that he didn't cut hard enough fast enough. Right now he's being graded on a curve, and compared with the idiots we have on the school board, there's no way he shouldn't get high marks.

And if Robert Bobb is all that it takes for you to be "blown away" by Granholm, I think it's time you give some serious consideration to raising your standards and expectations.

What a joke. Another neo-con, still in the closet, yet having affairs [[that's a true indication of neo-con, fundamental, christian beliefs) and he's running for office. Considering the field, maybe we need Feiger to jump in so we'll have some serious entertainment, because it doesn't seem we'll have any serious candidates.The only good about this election so far, is that Granholm and Engler aren't running [[bite my tongue, cross my fingers).

Given the available choices, I like Rick Snyder from Ann Arbor.
    http://www.michigantalks.com/about-rick-snyder/
    I don't know if he's going to run or not, but if he does, I think he is the most dynamic candidate. Though, he likely has little chance of winning.

diver1369 Guest

kraig, You restated my case for Robert Bobb exactly, thank you. Granholm was limited in her initiatives by the Republicans in the legislature. Look how they've sat on the smoking ban for years.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    kraig, You restated my case for Robert Bobb exactly, thank you. Granholm was limited in her initiatives by the Republicans in the legislature. Look how they've sat on the smoking ban for years.

The republicans in the legislature didn't have anything to do with appointing Art Blackwell over Highland Park or helping get Bernard Kilpatrick appointed to the Wayne County Health Board or her sitting on her hands for six months and doing nothing about Kwame until he put his hands on a deputy. That was all her. There's no way in the world you're going to convince me that the highest office holder in the state of michigan shouldn't be held responsible for her job performance and that anything that's gone wrong in her tenure is all the republicans fault.

how much do any of the candidates tow the line for the religious right? [[post links if possible)

diver1369 Guest

Those two appointments you mention certainly smell of machine politics, I agree. You misquote me tho' about the Republicans. I didn't see any retort to their work on stifling the smoking ban the public overwhelmingly supports. Under their leadership, consumer protection laws in the State have been gutted. Is this what they mean by being "business friendly"?

If Mike Cox can't honor the oath he took when he pledged his wedding vows, why would you expect him to honor his oath of office? Is that their version of "family values"?

Coxy and Grandy come from the same McNamara Mob.

The Consumer Protection Statutes haven't been changed at all. Their effectiveness has been gutted by ridiculous interpretations from a conservative Michigan Supreme Court. Michigan is always at the top of the list in articles regarding big money in judicial elections. Its where big money gets more bang for their buck. Now, if you meant that the legislature should have clarified the laws, I'm with you.

What Michigan needs is a governor who knows business and economics, plus a set of connections on the business world. Every other issue is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaFuzz View Post
    Re: Terri Lynn Land. A religious wacko - ugh, really? And here I was, thinking she was a half-way decent Republican. Then again, I thought the same thing of Candice Miller, and we all know how that turned out.
    Actually I don't. Please elaborate. Miller is the first name that came to my mind when thinking of who I would vote for.

I could never see me voting for Cox. If Archer had run and it came down to Archer vs. Cox, I would probably vote dem for the second time in my lfe. The first & only time was for Old Man Hackel for Macomb Sheriff, and we all know how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    What Michigan needs is a governor who knows business and economics, plus a set of connections on the business world. Every other issue is secondary.
    You mean to imply that a govenor that knows acting and the law with political buddies hasn't worked out so well?

What we need is a janitor, because there's alot of crap to clean up.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThaFuzz View Post
    Re: Terri Lynn Land. A religious wacko - ugh, really? And here I was, thinking she was a half-way decent Republican. Then again, I thought the same thing of Candice Miller, and we all know how that turned out.

For argument's sake, let's say that Debbie Stabenow ran for and was elected governor. Does Michigan law allow her to appoint her Senate replacement under those circumstances?
    Terri Lynn Land is a Grand Rapids/West Michigan Republican, and that's all I need to know. It's great that she's relatively competent, for sure, and she'd probably be more pragmatic than Hoekstra, but at the end of the day she's still very much part of the so-called West Michigan "Dutch Mafia". I'd much rather take my chances with the more secular/fiscal-minded SE Michigan Republicans if that what it has to come down to, at all, thank you. The Reformed Church can keep their candidates as far as I'm concerned.

After reading all the posts, I'm even more dismayed than when I started. I guess we have no one decent out there to take over as gov. Well, maybe more compentent candidates will emerge as we get closer to next year. We can only hope.

Even though he keeps denying it, the rumor/thought is still out there that Bob Ficano will run for governor. We'll see how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    The most disappointing aspect of Granholm's tenure was Granholm herself. She ran her administration by the McNamara playbook, friends and family plan. She's given a number of former state reps appointments so that they can continue to feed at the public trough. She's the one that's appointed pulpit pimps like Swendell Anthony and Art Blackwell, not the republicans.
    I knew I was forgetting something more unsavory. I guess the ridiculous soundbites from DeRoche, et al., made a deeper impression upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by patmc16 View Post
    Actually I don't. Please elaborate. [[Candice) Miller is the first name that came to my mind when thinking of who I would vote for.[/B]
    She was elected to the House of Representatives, and quickly became a rubber stamp BushBot. I believe she was MI's chair for his reelection campaign in 2004.

diver1369 Guest

Isn't Candace the Secretary of State that plastered her face and name all over the State offices throughout the State? Kind of a state-funded campaign signage. I give credit to Terri Lynn Land for not doing the same. There should be a generic sign for the Secretary of State offices that is immediately recognizable, absent any personal images or names. I recently went to get an enhanced drivers license in Livonia. I was 30th in line just to get a number and wait in an already crowded room. The processing was quite efficient tho' and I was out of there in about an hour. Some folks behind me came from Monroe because the Livonia office was the closest one that did the enhanced drivers licensing processing.

Mike Cox is weak and get rid of Candace. She followed and voted for almost everything Bush and Chinny stood for.

Default michigan's problems have little to do with governor

I have been disappointed [[but not very surprised) at how ineffective Gov. Granholm has been. Her handling of the Kirkpatrick fiasco was craven, and in general she seems unwilling to do anything that would require annoying any Democratic constituency. However I find the idea that any governor in her situation could have made a huge difference improbable. Her entire time in office has coincided with the implosion of the state's chief industry and she correspondingly has pretty much spent her entire time in office fighting rear-guard actions.

I don't really think the next governor is going to be lot better situated, whoever it is.

MIRepublic Guest

There's a lot I'm not happy with Granholm about, but her handling of the "Kirkpatrick" fiasco is not one of them. Are you from here [[Michigan), Mwilbert?

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    What great job? All he's done is make cuts. Everyone's saying he's doing a great job based on the fact that he's making cuts that the politicians didn't make. The fact is, we're going to realize in the next year that he didn't cut hard enough fast enough. Right now he's being graded on a curve, and compared with the idiots we have on the school board, there's no way he shouldn't get high marks.

And if Robert Bobb is all that it takes for you to be "blown away" by Granholm, I think it's time you give some serious consideration to raising your standards and expectations.
    Actually Bobb is not only making cuts, but he is changing the culture of DPS, putting in measures for accountablity, and letting the DFT know in his way that change is coming, get ready for it. He's reconstituting schools, wants to implement merit pay etc. What he is doing in his time here is nothing short of outstanding.

Now having said that I believe Bobb has his sights set on beating Ron Dellums in Oakland CA and being mayor, so I believe anything here is out.

And I agree with you on Granholm, she did sit on her hands with KK. However I believe [[can't prove it at all) that the Obama campaign pressured her to get on with getting KK out of office. Granholm just strikes me as that politician who sticks her finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing before she does anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast