Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    3 pages of posts, and I haven't seen more than a dozen of them relating to my original question. WHAT OPTIONS DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE.

It's their neighborhood. People from both Detroit and Hazel Park have to deal with this. They don't want the signs there. Cocktail dresses to one look like lingerie to another apparently.

I'm trying to tap into some intellectualism here. Not the usual lame ass banter. Damn threadjackers...
    None. Deal with it and focus their efforts on real problems. Like the one poster said, work on their homes and properties, clean up, fix up, sweep up.

Billboards on taxpaying business are not a problem for ethical people.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I drove by that club this morning. Looks like there are a few large, poster sized pictures of women in cocktail dresses. Not half naked, and not very large at all. I've seen much racier billboards on the highway.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO.
    Kinda what I figured. Still would be nice to see some pictures so we had more idea of what was in question.

I might begin to ease my opinion of the Catholic church when they begin naming female Bishops and above. For now, it's just another good ole boys club practicing a form of segregation.

Could someone please mention Hitler on this thread?

Oops.

GUSHI Guest

The hatred for the Catholic Church is similar to the hatred of the USA. People fear things they know nothing about. If you don't practice the same religon as me, that fine, but don't try to talk shit about. It is the strongest religous power in the world and people fear it. Just as the USA is the most poweful country in the world and people fear it also. No religon is perfect, just as the world we live in is not perfect,

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    sucking a dick is a choice, but lord help the catholic that finds this behavior repulsive...
    But being gay is not a choice and that's the issue which Catholics choose to object. Nice try, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    The hatred for the Catholic Church is similar to the hatred of the USA. People fear things they know nothing about. If you don't practice the same religon as me, that fine, but don't try to talk shit about. It is the strongest religous power in the world and people fear it. Just as the USA is the most poweful country in the world and people fear it also. No religon is perfect, just as the world we live in is not perfect,
    I know enough to see how it keeps minds [[and therefore society) from progressing to enlightened levels. It wouldn't concern me if religion, in general, didn't get in my way so often.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    It is the strongest religous power in the world
    Closer to a dictatorship actually.

Fear? Hardly.

GUSHI Guest

Call it what you want. if no fear, why so much anti-catholic post on this forum. Throught out the history of Catholic church, there having been groups that hated us. If you look at the history of the church it has done more good than anyother religous organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Closer to a dictatorship actually.

Fear? Hardly.

I think this thread should now be moved to Non-Detroit Issues... it's stupid enough to qualify....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think this thread should now be moved to Non-Detroit Issues... it's stupid enough to qualify....
    I think Lowell should make another category of threads, one where the original thoughts have long been lost. Put this one as the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah, too bad it didn't start off that way. The jacked up thing is, for as smart as everyone seems to think they are on this forum, not one person was able to give me any good ideas [[except for the paintballer of course).

Meddle, I'm on to you...

Yeah, too bad it didn't start off that way. The jacked up thing is, for as smart as everyone seems to think they are on this forum, not one person was able to give me any good ideas [[except for the paintballer of course).
    I don't think there's anything you can do. I saw the pictures - they aren't that large and the women portrayed are wearing dresses. I don't think you could argue they are too racy by any stretch of the imagination, from a legal standpoint that is.

You could picket outside the club, call for a boycott, that sort of thing. But I don't think it'll get you anywhere if asking nicely doesn't work.

not one person was able to give me any good ideas [[except for the paintballer of course).

Meddle, I'm on to you...

Vandalism is never a good idea.

I gave you the best suggestion. Leave the taxpaying business alone and go one about your business, whatever it is.

I wish it were that simple. But the neighbors sure are persistant. I don't really live there, so it's not really my issue. But like I said, I feel for 'em. And I know that with the coming changes in my part of town [[Corktown), this is going to come up again and I'd like to be prepared for the coming hysteria. I appreciate ALL ideas folks, thank you.

Yeah, too bad it didn't start off that way. The jacked up thing is, for as smart as everyone seems to think they are on this forum, not one person was able to give me any good ideas.
    Not to tout my own horn, but what about my post #63?

" As far as the strip clubs go, I think people who have issues with them should consider putting that energy to use by sweeping the cub in front of their house, planting some flowers around their property, volunteering with the neighborhood watch, mentoring the kids with no parental supervision, and taking on the local drug houses."

Back to the subject at hand.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110726/BIZ/107260422/

The law favors the strip club.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Not to tout my own horn, but what about my post #63?

" As far as the strip clubs go, I think people who have issues with them should consider putting that energy to use by sweeping the cub in front of their house, planting some flowers around their property, volunteering with the neighborhood watch, mentoring the kids with no parental supervision, and taking on the local drug houses."
    Yeah right. The Detroit side of John R and eight mile looks like 1940s Berlin, but I think the fact that it's people from outside the city hanging these up on a building in their neighborhood that's really got them pissed off. The Hazel Park side keeps their stuff together for the most part, and since the club is not in their city limits, they feel pretty helpless too.

Thanks anyway boys club

I drive by this place at least 5-6 times a week, sometimes with my kids in the car. I much rather have what is there now than the what the old Booby Trap has their sign. There is nothing wrong with these pictures. Perhaps a little tacky but there is nothing more going on than what you can see at almost any check out lane via Cosmo, et. al. mags. Get over it and focus on real issues. That section, both sides of Baseline, have more problems going on than a couple of images of women fully clothed.

Yeah right. The Detroit side of John R and eight mile looks like 1940s Berlin,
    Well, maybe if the residents would refocus their energy it wouldn't look so bad.

Yeah right. The Detroit side of John R and eight mile looks like 1940s Berlin, but I think the fact that it's people from outside the city hanging these up on a building in their neighborhood that's really got them pissed off. The Hazel Park side keeps their stuff together for the most part, and since the club is not in their city limits, they feel pretty helpless too.

Thanks anyway boys club
    That in part helps explains why that area is so f'd up. Talk about having your priorities out of whack.
    Actually I think that area south of 8 is beyond help so maybe these people are just pissed about everything.

I guess this pretty much answers the question:

New Strip Club Sign Law Stopped By Judge

POSTED: Wednesday, July 27, 2011

DETROIT -- A federal judge says Michigan's restrictions on signs promoting sexually oriented businesses is unconstitutional.

Judge John Corbett O'Meara ruled in favor of the Penthouse Club, a Detroit strip club. He says the new law violates the First Amendment because it bans all images on signs.

The law says signs outside an adult business can only display words, numbers and trademarks. The Penthouse Club has a large sign with a woman in a short skirt and skimpy top.

The judge issued a preliminary injunction stopping enforcement of the law, which took effect in March. O'Meara said Tuesday the law illegally singles out sexually oriented businesses only.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28680926/detail.html

Is this the same club in the subject of this thread? They mention a girl in a short dress, same as one of the posters described above. Somebody also posted a link above, but I don't know if it was the same ruling.

I knew O'Meara when I worked at the Federal courthouse and I had the impression he was as fair as any Judge could be.
    Last edited by Meddle; July-27-11 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Is this the same club in the subject of this thread? They mention a girl in a short dress, same one of the posters described above.
    No, the Penthouse Club is up 8 Mile further, towards Telegraph, I think. They have an enormous, billboard-sized picture on their building.

The place by John R is called something like the Diamond club.

It's their neighborhood. People from both Detroit and Hazel Park have to deal with this. They don't want the signs there. Cocktail dresses to one look like lingerie to another apparently.
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing the neighbors can't do a thing. This would fall under freedom of speech, no?

I haven't seen the pics, but I'm guessing they're no racier than your typical hard alchohol or hip-hop/pop music billboard.

How is this different than Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan in an ad?

And, given how young ladies dress in the warmer months, you probably see racier getups just walking down the street.

And, I'll admit, I don't like the thought of fundamentalist church ladies dictating public standards of decency.

wow, 4 pages and no one has yet gone by to entice us with a picture of so-called smut......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast