Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

So we made it through the 100 degree day!

I am very concerned about the power outages. Hope that things can get restored [[and that the crews stay cool!).

Also a bit tired of folks on the street/coworkers telling anyone who will listen "you'll miss this heat in February" or "I'm glad it's not February, that's all I can say." It's cold every February in Detroit. It's not 95-100 degrees every July in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by tlharrington View Post
    My sister got married on June 25, 1988. She was 7 months pregnant and it was an outdoor wedding. It was also 104 degrees! I'll never forget seeing the blackened swaths of I-696 from the grass fires due to the drought!
    My sister is getting married Saturday. We are thanking God that it wasn't today.

I hear you English! The long hard winter rationalization has gotten a bit old. LOL! Though I must say my hair loves the heat and humidity! It's just growing and full and thick in heat! Enjoy your sisters wedding this Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    So we made it through the 100 degree day!

I am very concerned about the power outages. Hope that things can get restored [[and that the crews stay cool!).

Also a bit tired of folks on the street/coworkers telling anyone who will listen "you'll miss this heat in February" or "I'm glad it's not February, that's all I can say." It's cold every February in Detroit. It's not 95-100 degrees every July in Detroit.

My sister is getting married Saturday. We are thanking God that it wasn't today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I hear you English! The long hard winter rationalization has gotten a bit old. LOL! Though I must say my hair loves the heat and humidity! It's just growing and full and thick in heat! Enjoy your sisters wedding this Saturday.
    Yes, I always feel as if my hair, skin, and even my body are healthier in the summer! Thanks for the well wishes... I'm taking a break from cleaning to entertain out of town guests... hope that Sunday will be a beautiful day on the Riverfront!

^^
    Yeah, like a nice tomato!! Growing and full!

Stromberg2

I like to get the top of my head wet and sit under the ceiling fan. aaaah. [[make sure the fan blades are reversed from the winter mode: have them blowing down not up, for "wind chill." it helps a lot...

I was helping somebody move this weekend, 89 in the shade. My method to beat the heat was to just lean over and pour cold hose water over my head. It feels really good on the temples and behind the ears! And, depending on how good you are at it and how handy a towel is when you're done, you don't get much wet elsewhere.

As my dad used to say when he disagreed with you, "Go soak your head!" It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I picked a helluva week to get back to jogging, huh?!

Gave myself heat stroke yesterday...lost the day and it wasn't pretty. And this with jogging EARLY, to avoid the heat. It was 78 when I started, 83 when I finished just under six miles of jog/walking.

Funny thing, I ran into Danny again in the Village...a few blocks after finding a shiny new penny on the ground outside Krogers. Took both as good omens until it became clear in the next few hours that I'd truly punished myself.

Stay safe, everyone. Don't be silly...like me.

Cheers,
    John

I was laughing about this all week. Told the story a few times during the BeerFest in Ypsi to some old friends.

Came home from an amazing weekend to learn that one of my city friends didn't fare as well...from all apparent evidence, David Blair died from heatstroke. He checked into a hotel to sleep in AC to cool down and never woke up.

I will never taunt the heat again...please be careful.

Sincerely,
    John

I really enjoyed the heat wave, but I work in an air-conditioned building. After living in Santa Barbara, CA for a few years, I was very happy to move back to the Midwest for the weather. Really. I love the extremes. I refuse to complain.

It's back! Heat advisory today, high 98. Gannon, skip the jogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    It's back! Heat advisory today, high 98. Gannon, skip the jogging.
    I have had the central A/C off but hearing that this morning, I texted home and asked to have the A/C cranked on. The nice thing is by Monday, it will barely reach 70..YAY!

Thanks, Pam. I thought about it, but helped a friend move a number of boxes of books up two flights of stairs instead. It was a great workout.

Cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4