Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

94 degrees with 60% humidity now...

I think it is hotter than that now. I began sweating as soon as i stepped outside...

..I remember 1995.. working at a k-mart at the time.. mostly i was outside.. got badly sunburned one day.. not fun..

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I agree. Some folks have medical conditions that make it tough for them. I have a friend with MS, who can't take it at all if it's over 85. He gets just totally wiped out.
    A guy today was found dead of heat:

"An Oakland County man is dead, 29,000 are without power and utility companies are asking customers to reduce their electricity use as temperatures approaching 100 degrees threaten Metro Detroit and much of the Midwest today.
    A 37-year-old restaurant worker, Clark Carrier Jr., was found dead by his sister in his un-air conditioned Highland Township home about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. Oakland County Sheriff's deputies reported no signs of foul play at the scene."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110721/...#ixzz1SlPXEPfF

I hope this horrible, humid weather breaks soon.

I hope this horrible, humid weather breaks soon
    Supposed to cool down a bit by Monday.

is there a centralized list of cooling centers in various cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Supposed to cool down a bit by Monday.
    Hallelujah. When it is November and 19 degrees outside, I'm pulling up this thread and thanking the good Lord summer is over.

I'm out in a shaded porch right now - and for once, no tiny flies or ants to BUG me. Where have they gone? Too hot for them? HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Seriously, just a 10" fan and the breeze is just fine out here. Beats running the AC every ten minutes.

And - I've bought my second paper Freep this year. Nice to hold a paper in your hands again!

Could God move the Asian carp eyes UP a few inches? Thanks God.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is there a centralized list of cooling centers in various cities?
    Some listed here:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...oling-centers/

Back in the days before air conditioning people used to spend a lot of time at the movies. The downtown movie palaces were air conditioned since the late 20s.... among the earliest air conditioned buildings.

Back then the theatres were open for 5 or 6 performances a day. Some folks would spend the whole evening there, buying multiple tickets. The advertisements for theatre showings back then always mentioned air conditioning during summer performances... the ad artwork would also show icicles around the words "AIR CONDITIONED".

I remember the '88 heatwave, too. Many people's lawns were turning brown that summer. I lived in Ecorse and worked at Calder Bros. Dairy in Lincoln Park, making ice cream. During lunch I'd go out back, grab a cone and go inside one of the coolers to eat it, then chug a pint of milk [[I know...). I also delivered Freeps to half of Ecorse, much of River Rouge and part of Dogleg [[Edsel, Electric etc up to Basset betw. Outer Dr. & Visger).

I'm going tomorrow to the Art Fair. Was going to go today, took off work in fact, but the air is so dense you could chew it so I'll pass.
    Last edited by psubliminal; July-21-11 at 01:55 PM.

Here's another tip from a former desert rat:

Before venturing out into the heat, eat a big bowl of frozen sorbet to get your core temperature down. Try to get uncomfortably cold. You'll last longer outdoors before getting uncomfortable and at first the heat actually feels good.

The squirrels are lying spread-eagle on bricks to transfer heat from their bodies.

I cleaned and filled the bird bath and one robin has been camped out there for hours.

Oh, and fans, fans, fans!
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-21-11 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Here's another tip from a former desert rat:

Before venturing out into the heat, eat a big bowl of frozen sorbet to get your core temperature down. Try to get uncomfortably cold. You'll last longer outdoors before getting uncomfortable and at first the heat actually feels good.

The squirrels are lying spread-eagle on bricks to transfer heat from their bodies.

I cleaned and filled the bird bath and one robin has been camped out there for hours.

I saw a squirrel do that last year on WSU's campus. It was too funny to see it just sitting there chilling and allowed me to walk directly up on him. I guess he felt it was too hot to run away...
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; July-21-11 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling

They're kind of creepy as they feast on maple seeds and watch me from four feet away. I'm still kind of an anti squirrel personel mine. But - I'll take chipmunks anytime. Take that squirrels.
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-21-11 at 02:17 PM.

lilpup Guest

radio report said 101 degrees in Ypsilanti with a heat index of 114

just got back from two hours of A/C-less, low speed driving tossing newspapers & about a half mile walk - gotta hit the shower for sure

102 degrees in Detroit right now, that's serious!

I took a two mile walk this morning - just damn near passed out until a neighbor picked me up. Better to just stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by surenowinlife View Post
    My central is dialed down to a comfortable 74 degrees and has been since before Memorial Day!
    We have been lucky so far with no interuption to our electric service this year. After the power grid failure in 2004 we installed a home generator and have only used it 3x since.It's a relief to know its there though!
    It was actually 2003......

Quote Originally Posted by psubliminal View Post
    I lived in Ecorse and worked at Calder Bros. Dairy in Lincoln Park, making ice cream..
    mmm....Calder's Dairy...yum.

Anyway, I'm not doing anything outside I don't have to. I have the A/C running with 2 oscillating fans blowing the cool air throughout the house, electric bill be damned. I really feel for anyone who does not choose to be without A/C on days like today.

For the first time in five thousand eight hundred fifty-one days ------- 100 degrees at Detroit Metro.

I usually drink hot tea when the temperature is as high as 90. I haven't tried drinking hot tea today.

The heat is bad enough. The power outage on the 11th was a bit much....but today - no water pressure. Called the Water Department and was told someone must have opened a hydrant....oh, yes, we have more calls on your block. I politely asked when this would be resolved...I was told to call after midnight and then to have different neighbors call.

My sister got married on June 25, 1988. She was 7 months pregnant and it was an outdoor wedding. It was also 104 degrees! I'll never forget seeing the blackened swaths of I-696 from the grass fires due to the drought!

The city of Ferndale is without power it has been reported.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The summer of 1992 was a cool summer. The summer of 2000 and 2009 were cool ones too. I would like to add that 1997 started out as a scorcher until the tornado hit Detroit then the temperatures had been much cooler for the rest of the summer
    Very true. And the summers of 2005 and 2010 were far rainier than usual.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast