Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thank you to all that sent in a letter - fantastic job.

And some drivers going the wrong way even honked at police to get out of their way so they could get through.
    Someone's unfamiliar with the concept of "one way."

Did anyone happen to read Model D's article on LAX? Complete garbage and lies from the owner...that place will never be family friendly.

And great work everyone...let's hope these places clean up a bit.
    Last edited by Planner3357; July-28-11 at 08:48 AM.

anyone read the comments on the news article? Horrible

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    anyone read the comments on the news article? Horrible
    Ignorance at its best.

You guys are awesome, well done.

One of my favorite bars downtown is right on the corner Of Adams & Woodward. As soon as LAX opened it was a complete debacle outside at closing time. I love seeing new business but this is not what we need to be aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Ignorance at its best.
    Pathetic........I'm usually one who takes any online comments with a grain of salt [[Even on here sometimes, sorry guys), but it just kills me that people honestly stick up for what is going on down there outside of these clubs.

"LAX doesn't have a liquor license, but rents out the club to nonprofits that obtain daily permits [[typically used for fundraisers)."

This nonsense needs to stop immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    You'll probably be called a biggot.
    Hey, I'm Black, and if that happens, let me know! They can't call ME a bigot. This crap has to stop!

James Grant

http://www.facebook.com/visionary1
    Last edited by JGrant; July-28-11 at 10:06 AM.

"On Friday, Williams told owners of several downtown establishments to beef up security, make sure their staffs conduct weapons searches, keep out people under 21 and market their clubs to a less rowdy crowd."

First three make sense, but how do you do that last one?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    "On Friday, Williams told owners of several downtown establishments to beef up security, make sure their staffs conduct weapons searches, keep out people under 21 and market their clubs to a less rowdy crowd."

First three make sense, but how do you do that last one?
    You can market parties differently- don't hold as many "college nights", hold more lounge nights, etc.

Thank you DPD for responding to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    Thank you DPD for responding to this problem.
    Seconded. Special kudos to Commander Williams.

Hello James... we know each other from another blog! I'll PM you.... Z.
    Quote Originally Posted by JGrant View Post
    Hey, I'm Black, and if that happens, let me know! They can't call ME a bigot. This crap has to stop!

James Grant

http://www.facebook.com/visionary1

Great work by the citizens, who took an active role in their city. No marching, no shouting; just a simple act
    of a pen and motivating the constitutents!!

Great job by all! Can't wait for districts!!!!

I hope all of your efforts are successful. It's weird that Detroit won't force these clubs to close or reign in their clientele. Both Washington, DC and Prince George's county in Maryland close clubs where violent incidents occur and at the very least suspend liquor licenses while the establishments are investigated.

I was on Fox news last night fumbling through an interview...hope I'm not marked.

I came in midway of Fox talking to a police official about cleaning up LAX and Mandees. They showed the stores and interviewed someone living in the area. I have not been able to find the video to post....
    Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    I was on Fox news last night fumbling through an interview...hope I'm not marked.

Has anyone been able to locate the Fox 2 story? I was so happy when Santiago contacted me to tell me he was running this story. We have developed a walkable neighborhood where our residents can walk their dogs in the park without fear. LAX is a slap in the face. Thank you for all your hard work!

Hey Planner, I saw you.....big shot!! Fuck it if your marked...taking the city back one step at a time.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Hey Planner, I saw you.....big shot!! Fuck it if your marked...taking the city back one step at a time.

Stromberg2
    Aww shit. I'm fucked then....oh well! You got my back, right?

You and me both man. I was in the News.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrishK View Post
    You and me both man. I was in the News.
    Yeah you were...I've run into you a few times at our place of residency....
    Too bad about Rub though...it makes it easier to not go there since they quit giving regulars $3.00 beers.

I got your back!!

Stromberg2

I do have an update on responses from the letter, but financial markets have left me with little spare time to go into details. Soon enough, though. And I would like to hear from the Kales Residents who can comment more accurately of how things are on Grand Circus Park.

In the meantime...here's an article from a black columnist in Milwaukee called, "It's Time to Take Steps to Stop Young Thugs."

Philadelphia - While out of town last week, I suddenly started receiving urgent long-distance messages about young black people in Milwaukee acting crazy.

Again.

Last time it happened, I was on vacation during the Fourth of July weekend when a bunch of misbehaving young black people ransacked a gas station convenience store and attacked residents in a park.

This time, I was in my hometown of Philadelphia attending the National Association of Black Journalists convention when my BlackBerry started blowing up with news about what happened Thursday night at the Wisconsin State Fair.

According to reports, it was similar to what happened in Riverwest last month, but on a much more brutal - and scarier - scale.

When people start reporting they were being beaten by black people for no other reason than being white people at the State Fair, that's pretty disturbing.

It's also thuggish and disgusting.
    ...and the ensuing security response

It's not a perfect analogy. There's definitely a difference between thuggish behavior from large groups of high school students inciting mob violence vs. thuggish behavior from large groups of adults coming out of a club. But it's probably fair to say that the root causes behind the behavior are related...impulsive behavior combined with desensitization to violence combined with aggressive and hostile interactions. Perhaps a similar multi-faceted strategy is the solution.

Either way, I'm glad to say that the response from city hall has been more than receptive. I only wish the response from the community was just as convincing.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; August-08-11 at 10:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast