Dyes is a more constructive and objective forum than the Freep.com comment section.
Keeping Dyes that way requires a certain level of self-policing when discussing the events and issues confronting Detroit and Metro-Detroit.

For example:
I know a couple who purchased a Royal Oak house in the $100s that had been empty for longer than a year. I purchased a house that had been empty for 6 months for far less. People frequently refer to the latter only as an abandoned house.
What are the implications of framing a property as abandoned? Especially in terms of buying the house and obtaining financing, local investment, defacement?

Another example:
thug imagery
Consider the Webster's definition of thug, "brutal ruffian or assassin".
Looking to its more established usage, a self employed thug robs and a thug employed by others may be hired to beat or kill. Simply driving above the speed limit, beating your partner, or resolving another type of inter-personal conflict with violence does not make a person a thug. Such behaviour simply qualifies her as a criminal.
Labeling someone a thug is quite powerful, it brands the person as a violent professional criminal. The label establishes the idea that the person, guilty or not of the action being discussed, has a long criminal history.
What are the implications of framing a conflict as being between professional criminals? How does this affect the level of concern shown for the victims, for treatment of the criminal if caught by police, of the level of effort society should invest in preventing similar crimes?

Example:
characterization of criminals as young, no matter their actual age
I admit that an 80 year old may describe a 65 year old as young. So I seek to narrow 'young'. Webster defines it " being in the first or an early stage of life, growth, or development". A 30 year old is not in the first or early stage of life. Consider another perspective, what age of person would you address a person as 'young man' or 'young woman'? Clearly not a 30 year old.
The mention of youth into a conversation is quite insidious, it is a dog whistle at best.
Age is often overlayed with other seemingly harmless tropes.
Two shirtless men in a pickup truck, four men in a car, four women in high heels and mini skirts. Add race and age descriptions, does the meaning change? Why?
Now add a geographical description.