Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There's an Aldis on Woodward in Highland Park.... but the parking lot never looks very full... there's a big Spartan who-know-what-name across the street. I've been to that one a few times, but not the Aldis... for discount store I prefer Save-a-Lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Monroe as in downriver? There are plenty of Aldis in the city.

I know, I just happen to live in Monroe. I have been to the Aldis in Highland Park. Same thing, clean store and friendly staff.

Stromberg2

I doubt Aldi's will be going in that site anytime soon: the space is too small and the demographics within 1 mile states only ~15,000. 20% of that population have an income of $0-$9999. I think Aldi's will only look at >20,000 square foot store with a population density of 35,000 within 1-3 miles.

Problem with those kind of demographics is that a large part of the one square mile is in the Detroit River, where nobody lives, rich or poor. That's one reason the area is overlooked by retailers who use these kinds of tools. If you draw a line one mile from the LP Shopping Center in the direction of Windsor, you will end up on the Canadian side of the River.

Monroe only has a population of about 25,000. We have an Aldis.

Stromberg2

I think an Aldi store in that location, particularly with the parking lot that center has, could be a magnet for much of the east side, midtown, and potentially parts of the near west side. Given the other shopping options in the central parts of the city I really think you have to look at an area quite a bit wider than a mile to see that store's potential core customer base.

I doubt midtown residents would use a *Lafayette Park* grocery store [[does anyone realize Lafayette Park is technically NOT downtown?!).

Midtown is about to get a new grocery store on W Forest and perhaps another at the old Zaccaro's spot on Woodward. That equates to four grocery stores, a health food store and a fresh produce market. And with Eastern Market a stones throw away, I doubt there is any need to venture all the way Lafayette Park for groceries.

Downtown may have use for it, but isn't Eastern Market opening up a fresh food market at the old Border's spot in the Compuware building? Regardless, there would still be a need for one in Lafayette Park, and it could serve Downtown residents, especially on the east side. But what Downtown really needs is a major supermarket on the scale of a Kroger, that could serve Downtown as well as surrounding neighborhoods.

I think aldis would do very well. in the Lafayette Park area. There are many, many of us here who would shop there.. I go to one in Cleveland when Im there very often, their products are great. Its not a well kept secret that many of their products are actually packaged by name brands at a greatly reduced price, Their dark chocolate bars [[ product of belgium) at around 1.89 are the absolute best and a steal , my pastry chef partner in Cleveland uses them constantly at their hotel for baking and ofcourse eating.. says they have more cocoa content than the best of chocolate..

Lafayette Park is downtown, just not in the Central Business District.

I had spoken to one of the workers at Sala Thai whom informed me that the new owner of Lafayette Towers Center is planning to raise the rent on the remaining tenants in the mall. Greed will not get him anyway but being the owner of an empty strip mall. Aldi or any other store would not move into the mall unless the owner is reasonable with the cost of rent. I think that a mini police station should be in the mall. Mack and Alter has an Aldi and a mini station in it's strip mall. Lafayette Park could have the same thing if the owner is willing to lower the rent. I know that the mall is not in the business district and is only a mile from the river but it is walking distance to the condo's, townshomes, and apartments that surrounds it. A mini station will help keep crime away from the area. The strip mall was put there to service the people in the community and could still do it if good businesses are encourage to move into the mall.

thanks for all the comments, keep them coming. obviously the rent charged has to be comptetive, companies like Aldi do not sign leases that aren't in line with current market rates [[based on the information they collect and review at the time of the signing). even a greedy property owner knows the supply and demand equation and that rent can only go up when demand out weighs supply. at less than 50% occupied i think its clear. sorry sala thai is feeling things arent properly priced, they should talk to their broker [[or me) to find out if they really are getting a bad deal. i hope to have more information on any traction in the coming month. Stay warm!

Well so much for a once black owned mom and pop supermarket chain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2