By now, most Detroiters have read the New York Times piece published this Sunday by Jennifer Conlin highlighting Detroit as the TriBeCa of the Midwest. Writers at the NYT have covered Detroit many times in recent history and have consistently offered a positive take on our town. The same can be said for the New York Post, which published "The new Detroit cool" by Nicole Rupersburg last month. Additionally, NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg offered suggestions on how to improve Detroit and has publicly supported Mayor Dave Bing. I've read comments to online articles about Detroit and New Yokers have defended rebukes against Detroit by adverse posters. On the streets and in the bars of Detroit, I have personally had New Yorkers tell me how much they love and appreciate Detroit. Some of them have even moved here while other New Yorkers come to visit. In this way, New York seems to have embraced Detroit. Many New Yorkers obviously see the potential of our city, and importantly, they harbor no animus towards us.

Likewise, it seems that most Detroiters have a deep respect and admiration for New York. Perhaps we see New York both as a model for successful urbanism and also find hope in the fact that New York overcame its own issues of urban decline. New York is definitely a beacon of inspiration for Detroit as we attempt to rally.

However, I think there must be more to the NYC-Detroit relationship than token well-wishes between cities. I say this because Detroit is outright loathed by so many people. It's a cold day in hell when you'll hear a kind word spoken about Detroit in most other cities, outside of New York, that is.

I don't know precisely why New York looks out for Detroit, or why New Yorkers have led the charge helping Detroit rebuild its reputation in the eyes of the world. I also can't speak for all Detroiters when I say this, but New York should know that many Detroiters appreciate what you're doing. It's nice to know we have the 'Big Apple' backing us up. As far as I'm concerned, you folks are always welcome in Motown.