Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    sorry about the link-Attachment 10070
    awesome !!!

From the Onion:

http://youtu.be/5Eke1AVqHkU

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    Op here. Sorry for the drunk rant.

Sorry???Don't be.It was the best laugh I had yesterday lol. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Wholl Parkins is the WORST!!!!!!
    I agree,I think

lol "bullshit news". good one pam

I agree, Fox news is awful. Weekdays, they are the only local station, I thought, so I would sit and suffer through all that goofy chit chat, no news, commercials- and one morning after listening to Charlie Langton scream, I found WWJ news on my channel 5 - one person giving local news, weather, few commercials. Got what I needed to know without getting so aggravated. The 9:00AM, Big Brown Couch session has to be the most ridiculous use of broadcasting time ever. Even more inane than Alan Lee and the Love Doctor. I'm starting to gag just writing this.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    The thing is - they flipped a switch last January and they are gone from my over the air DTV. But I'll give them the best news team award. That's all we want is news. Not fluff from the internut played out for several hours.
    Perhaps the homebrew antenna you built doesnt pick up the lower channel range? I would try a dollar store pair of rabbit ears, especially if you are local.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. On any given day, you can read the News or Free Press and come across errors that make you shake your head. Don't they employ any copy editors any more?
    I worry about the younger generation reading the paper and seeing the many mistakes it contains. Then I stop and think it's probably a moot point anyway since that group doesn't seem to read anything, much less the local newspapers.
    In the interest of suggesting ways to improve accuracy, can you caring complainers cough up some specific examples of errors and omissions?
    Unclear if the above post is directed at News/Freep websites or print, or both. Because I work for The News I know a boatload of people there who do care very deeply about the cred of news reports. Every day, as necessary, there is a place for corrections on page 2A.
    It used to be said that newspapers are the first draft of history. In that context there are going to be mistakes because, er, we are human. These days, posting to the web quickly with news is a priority. Sometimes there are holes in reports. Often, if it is a developing story, the reporter comes back around and updates and errors are caught and fixed.
    In case you have not noticed, threads on this site are often kickstarted by a News or Free Press story in print or online. Want to help make the news reports more accurate? Point out the errors to editors who publish them. Journalism is a participatory sport. I'm no mouthpiece for the papers, but I know your input is welcome, even essential to keeping what's left of democracy alive.
    General complainers are invited to take up competitive extreme planking as an alternative leisure activity.

Great Post, Lt. Dan... Its so easy to tear down someone else's work. The papers are far from perfect. But we'd be far worse off without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    Just watch "American Dad" on the Cartoon Network instead!
    Nope, gotta watch my Sunday animations & Judge Judy.

And speaking of that, it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say part of the reason Fox 2 has good ratings [[and thus are considered the "most watched") is because of their lead-ins. Judge Judy is the highest rated daytime show in America and I'm sure their Animation Block on Sunday is also the highest rated in its time slots. Then during the week they have American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. This is in contrast WDIV and WXYZ, both of which have pretty awful lead ins from NBC and ABC.

its even worse today. So many problems. i wont go into details, but the main camera in the newsroom just broke live on tv. I feel bad for anyone that works there.

Is it Fox2 that you find horrible or just Fox2 News?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    One thing I can't understand is the tag-team reading of a story on-air. You have two anchors, usually one male and one female. During every story, one will read one sentence, the other reads the next; back and forth, back and forth almost like a tennis match. Not alternating between stories or even paragraphs, but individual sentences.

I heard it has to do with the vanity of the 'talent'. One doesn't want to get less on screen time than the other and since one story might have more words than the next they're unwilling to alternate stories and let the other anchor get more screen time.

I can only imagine their reaction during my first [[imaginary) day as news director. I'd tell them that I knew they were anticipating some changes with new management. I'd reassure them that there would not be 'some' changes. Then I'd ruin their day by telling them that almost everything would change from the ground up, the entire format. Some staff would be retained, some would not. Those that wanted to go would be released from their contracts. Those that wanted to stay and work for a news station would be welcome.

I agree, tag team reading is just plain goofy.
    My theory is they do it because the attention span of sheeple is so short these days they can't stay focused on one reader for longer than two sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Is it Fox2 that you find horrible or just Fox2 News?

Not sure who you were addressing but for me it's just Fox2 news [[as it is currently).
    Last edited by trotwood; July-04-11 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Not sure who you were addressing but for me it's just Fox2 news [[as it is currently).
    Same here.

I can't stand any of our local news anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Fox 2 is horrible. I could rant about a thousand things on there, but one thing that drives me nuts [[i.e. I want to punch the TV screen) is when Huel and Monica just start chit chatting with their opinions after a story. It's awkward, contrived and poor journalism.
    Totally agree.

Where's Dick Westerkamp or Jac LeGoff when ya really need him?

Any station that would employ Chuckles LeDuff is pretty lousy in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I was addressing the originator of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    In the interest of suggesting ways to improve accuracy, can you caring complainers cough up some specific examples of errors and omissions?
    Unclear if the above post is directed at News/Freep websites or print, or both. Because I work for The News I know a boatload of people there who do care very deeply about the cred of news reports. Every day, as necessary, there is a place for corrections on page 2A.
    It used to be said that newspapers are the first draft of history. In that context there are going to be mistakes because, er, we are human. These days, posting to the web quickly with news is a priority. Sometimes there are holes in reports. Often, if it is a developing story, the reporter comes back around and updates and errors are caught and fixed.
    In case you have not noticed, threads on this site are often kickstarted by a News or Free Press story in print or online. Want to help make the news reports more accurate? Point out the errors to editors who publish them. Journalism is a participatory sport. I'm no mouthpiece for the papers, but I know your input is welcome, even essential to keeping what's left of democracy alive.
    General complainers are invited to take up competitive extreme planking as an alternative leisure activity.
    Wow, touched a nerve there, eh? My post was directed at the News and the Free Press; both online and print media. Specific examples? Really? On any given day, I can find errors and yes, I do report them though it seems, even my small complaint on this board elicits defensiveness and is not taken as constructive criticism.

What do threads on DY being started from an article in the Detroit News or Free Press have to do with anything?

I am not disrespecting the many competent people who work for either paper; I enjoy M.L. Elrick, Stephen Henderson, and many other people's work. I am just disappointed in the sloppiness that seems to be quite prevalent in the presentation of such work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    I am just disappointed in the sloppiness that seems to be quite prevalent in the presentation of such work.
    In this day and age of when everyone is trying to be the very first to launch a story- it's not uncommon to have those sort of silly errors. It just has to do with our society wanting instant gratification.

Think about back twenty five years- you wanted music? You hauled your butt down to the neighborhood Harmony House or Sam's Jams and actually had to paw through a box of music to get your tunes. Wanted a weather forecast? Want news? Wait until 6:00 for Bill Bonds or Jerry Hodak to deliver it- and more than likely, that news was filtered through some sort of check and balance system by editors whose job was to make sure it was accurate.

Nowadays it's downloading music instantaneously, going to CNN or going to the web to get the latest greatest. And people are disappointed if they can't get it right that very second. It's almost a game of oneupsmanship being played constantly.

So errors are bound to be made in this age of immediacy.

Fox 2 news [[ just like any another local stations) are fine. It's juts culturally BIASED! Always more BAD NEWS!

Well, they [[Fox 2) did wish Elizibeth Edwards a happy birthday the other morning, even though she died.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast