Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    This is the information from the 1967 Birmingham phone directory. The street numbers on Woodward must have been modified between now and then because 1775 Woodward on Google maps is at the intersection of Old Woodward and Landon. I passed the station many times between 1967 and 1969 driving a 1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 with the Royal Bobcat package and I believe it was on the North corner.
    Attachment 10180
    The problem with Google Street View is that the numbers are often way off. When you look at 1775 Woodward and Google some of the businesses you see the real numbers are closer to 400. So, 1775 S Old Woodward might be the intersection of Taunton. That address has a business called The Brake Shop according to some Google links but maybe it has changed to Valvoline Quick Lube recently? They list the address as 33300 Woodward though. Anyone have an insight on the street numbering system regarding Woodward/Old Woodward? If your recollection about it being on the north corner of Woodward and Taunton it would indeed be the same location as my initial Google Street View link.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33300+...=12,43.91,,0,0

Uhh, realized that the even/uneven numbers don't work out...why was the address of the Sunoco Station listed as the intersection of Woodward and Taunton if it actually was on the other side of Woodward and the cross street on that side is Smith Avenue? Or Davis further north? Tuffy Service Center would be possible but it is quite a bit off from Taunton? I should probably let someone with more knowledge take over these speculations....

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33300+...,237.5,,0,-2.8

Anyone here remember the next location, a Shell station just a few blocks away at 14 Mile and Eton? Was it where this parking lot is now?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14+Mil...12,330.99,,0,0

Default 14Mile Shell

The same 1967 phone directory show this location for the Shell station.
    Name:  14 Mile Shell.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  7.0 KB

Hey, that's cool! I wonder if the buildings in my link could be old gas station structures? Here's a good read for Silver Bullet fans;

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/woodw...et-last-words/

BTW, those old phone books are a great source for info! Looked for some 60:s Detroit area ones but couldn't find any at least a few months ago.

Default Silver Bullet

This artist’s recreation image I foundshows Addison’s Sunoco station on the north corner of Taunton and Woodward.
    Name:  Silver Bullet.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  14.5 KB

After reading these posts,I cruised past the the site of the old Sunoco station on Woodward last night.As I rolled by in my 1967 Olds 442,I gave a little gas peddle salute to Jimmy A.,Ted and the Siver Bullet.I remember seeing the beast parked out front back in the day....

Quote Originally Posted by Forwardlook View Post
    Forward Look shot glasses, awesome. I have seen photos of them!

I asked about it in the car dealership thread already but could you verify if the U-Haul/self storage business is the old Taylor's Motor Sales Dodge dealership that later became Northwestern Dodge? The building definitely looks like an old car dealership with the showroom windows covered up. I have tried to find old pics of it but no luck.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=19711+...27.86,,0,16.16

Race Edsel on 22525 Woodward is torn down and a McDonalds is on the property? It was a C-P dealership before Edsel?

http://edsel.net/dealer/edselrace.jpg

I have to see if I can figure out what I was wondering regarding Hodges locations, my memory isn't the best...have to look for those vintage photos.

Negative feelings of Village C-P or? Sorry, you made me curious...
    That Livernois location, U-Haul, is definitely where Northwestern Dodge was located. We lived in Sherwood Forest in the 60's - 70's. I used to walk by it taking my son to Pasteur School.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    That Livernois location, U-Haul, is definitely where Northwestern Dodge was located. We lived in Sherwood Forest in the 60's - 70's. I used to walk by it taking my son to Pasteur School.
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it! That sure looks like a huge dealership! Do you remember when Taylor's became Northwestern and was the building modified at that time? When did Northwestern move from this location?

This artist’s recreation image I foundshows Addison’s Sunoco station on the north corner of Taunton and Woodward.
    Name:  Silver Bullet.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  14.5 KB
    I always wondered how much artistic freedom was in that painting...it seems that the actual building is quite realistic and maybe it was that close to the street since the lot is quite small? Here is a poor photo of the real deal. Name:  Sunoco on Woodward.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  5.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    After reading these posts,I cruised past the the site of the old Sunoco station on Woodward last night.As I rolled by in my 1967 Olds 442,I gave a little gas peddle salute to Jimmy A.,Ted and the Siver Bullet.I remember seeing the beast parked out front back in the day....
    I like your style Sir! Any stories you might want to share from back in the day?

I like your style Sir! Any stories you might want to share from back in the day?
    No stories,as I don't want to bore everyone.Just a lot of great memories of the end of an era when "Woodwarding " died out.This would have been 1973-1975.The last of the muscle cars,SD-455 Trans -Ams,rolled out of the factories.The Oil Crunch 1 had jacked up gas and had us waiting in lines.Us gearheads on Woodward,Telegraph and Gratiot were a dying breed.My 1st 1967 Olds 442 got sold off for $300.00,and I went into the USAF.While stationed in NorCal,I found out that cruising and souped up cars were still going strong!I'll always be a gearhead,and I'm glad I live where I do.
    Last edited by luckycar; July-19-11 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    No stories,as I don't want to bore everyone.Just a lot of great memories of the end of an era when "Woodwarding " died out.This would have been 1973-1975.The last of the muscle cars,SD-455 Trans -Ams,rolled out of the factories.The Oil Crunch 1 had jacked up gas and had us waiting in lines.Us gearheads on Woodward,Telegraph and Gratiot were a dying breed.My 1st 1967 Olds 442 got sold off for $300.00,and I went into the USAF.While stationed in NorCal,I found out that cruising and souped up cars we still going strong!I'll always be a gearhead,and I'm glad I live where I do.
    What you call boring might be fascinating for many! Thanks for the memories!

This thread started with a focus on the Ramchargers, Chrysler dealerships, moved to the Sunoco station and other cruising Woodward memories. A main purpose of cruising was to impress others especially the girls and if you were very lucky even pick one up. Where were your favorite parking places? I remember fondly the Oak Drive-in, Trowbridge Road and Vernor Manor. I also seem to remember many people painting the railroad bridge near Kensington Road.

Could you do me a big favor and maybe post a pic of car dealership addresses?

Could you do me a big favor and maybe post a pic of car dealership addresses?
    Check these first:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1155609947

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/77971.html

Thank you, but I have to admit that I have seen them...was a bit greedy and wanted to find even more I'll spend a few hours on Google street view as I try to figure stuff out...looks like there isn't anywhere near enough time for me in Detroit and even the pre-trip planning time is running out lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2