Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DetroitPole Guest

Another poster reported shots were fired. Seriously, the fireworks on Monday night? What the fuck are these idiots shooting each other over? Where two or three are gathered in this city, there ends up being a shooting. It is absolutely surreal. Do you think any normal person is going to want to live, work, or play in a city where people are consistently shot at what should be normal, family-friendly events?

I'm not sure what the answer is. But I see too many people who are unfit to be parents. I don't know why they have these fucking kids in the first place, just to let them run absolutely feral their entire lives and murder people.

This city makes me sick to my stomach.

Despite the fact that some buildings were blocking the lower fire-works, we were able to see all the big ones perfectly from our home.

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    A family member of mine works for GM in the Renaissance Center, so I got to visit his office view the fireworks from 200 feet in the air. It was spectacular!
    I work in the ren-cen too and my office faces the river [[Great View). That being said I didnt go down this year. Last year i took my kids and their friends up here for the show. We got here around 6 and decided to walk over to greektown to get some pizza. When we got back to the ren cen it was a mob scene. There were hundreds of teenagers trying to shove their way into the building but they didnt have passes. I truly feared for the safety of my kids at that point. My work wont let me carry my weapon on their property either so i was basically defenseless. I wont put my kids in that position again. Lesson Learned.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    and, to be more specific, a 14 YEAR OLD KID!
    Exactly. A 14 year old boy who reportedly had the gun stuck in his waistband and brought it just to show off to friends. People who ask what's continuing to be wrong not just with our city, but the state of the country in general, there you go.

[[I question how the gun was held in his waistband since it was probably somewhere in the vicinity of his knees, but I digress...)

Does/has anyone gone to Belle Isle to watch the fireworks? My wife and I were saying last night that we should go down with our young son next year, she thought Belle Isle sounded nice you could spread out and relax. I always used to watch from the top of the MichCon parking garage on Congress with my cousins [[next to Millenium garage now), which was great since you could go down at 6:00 and leave 10 minutes after the fireworks were over via the Lodge. I used to go to Belle Isle on a few Friday and Saturday nights and those experiences make me think it might not be the best place to go. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    Does/has anyone gone to Belle Isle to watch the fireworks? My wife and I were saying last night that we should go down with our young son next year, she thought Belle Isle sounded nice you could spread out and relax. I always used to watch from the top of the MichCon parking garage on Congress with my cousins [[next to Millenium garage now), which was great since you could go down at 6:00 and leave 10 minutes after the fireworks were over via the Lodge. I used to go to Belle Isle on a few Friday and Saturday nights and those experiences make me think it might not be the best place to go. Any thoughts?
    The only time we would go to Belle Isle to watch the fireworks was when we were members at the DYC. That was a great spot. Traffic is horrible getting off the island so we would just crash on the boat.

I work in ren cen and can watch from office - but went home to watch on tv so i could see what dumb ass thing carmen was wearing - she never disappoints!!

Traffic is horrible getting off the island so we would just crash on the boat.
    Yeah, people used to be able to camp on the island or sleep in their cars. I don't think they allow either any more.

One of our customers is the Coast Guard Captain of the Bristol Bay, he invited us out on the river for the show. It was amazing, we were anchored just west of the fireworks barges in the restricted part of the river. The only problem is that I don't think I will ever be able to watch them from anywhere else in the future.

I had a pretty decent view from the top deck of the MCC parking garage with a few hundred other viewers on both structures. Got some nice shots from that perspective as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I had a pretty decent view from the top deck of the MCC parking garage with a few hundred other viewers on both structures. Got some nice shots from that perspective as well.
    I was there also. Had a GREAT time. to tell the truth I was actually surprised the youth [[teenagers) were having so much fun. I walked from the building that Zacaro's used to be in all the way to the ren cen and back just to be among all the spectators. I heard a couple of arguments but saw nothing serious. everyone was having fun. On my way down it was a group of teens about 20-40 of them and they were having soooo much fun. they were doing the whole "flash mob" thing. as I approached Jefferson, I saw all of them break out running. I thought to myself Oh Lord somebody shooting. but no one was shooting they was just clowning. they kept asking other teens to join them and bout time I got to the Miller it was @ least 75 of them. they took off going back and forth, respecting those who were not apart of their antics by not running into anyone, that was a shock to me, I thought people would be trampled, the police didnt know what to do. they were on their horses and chased em down and made them stop. I was hillarious. I said wow these kids are having genuine juvenile fun. latter I heard of the asshole who shot himself and shook my head. I thought good thing he shot himself [[sorry about the girl however) and not pull out and start shooting @ the kids running having fun.
    I walked all the way back and I must say I didnt encounter anything more than a couple of drunk arguments that went nowhere. I had a great time

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I'm not sure what the answer is. But I see too many people who are unfit to be parents. I don't know why they have these fucking kids in the first place, just to let them run absolutely feral their entire lives and murder people.
    Exactly what I said almost to the word--I used feral too. There's no better way to put it. I watched as SOME parents strolled around in various stages of undress, calling their children "motherf**ker" and more. It is no way to raise children but it is what you get when grandma is 35.

I watched it and there were no issues again on the Windsor side.

Great show. In fact I thought it was the best yet!

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    Exactly. A 14 year old boy who reportedly had the gun stuck in his waistband and brought it just to show off to friends. People who ask what's continuing to be wrong not just with our city, but the state of the country in general, there you go.

[[I question how the gun was held in his waistband since it was probably somewhere in the vicinity of his knees, but I digress...)
    Not only that but it was the richot from his shot that hit the 16 year old - so BOTH reported shootings came from his accidental firing. Too bad the scum media saves THAT information for later reports.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Not only that but it was the richot from his shot that hit the 16 year old - so BOTH reported shootings came from his accidental firing. Too bad the scum media saves THAT information for later reports.
    Of course they do, it makes the story boring and realistic! That doesn't sell ad space or get a mention on the O'Reilly ...... hour.

We watched the fireworks from the base of the Dequindre cut, right by the Elevator building- after biking downtown from WSU. Very nice spot, great view, and a great diverse crowd hanging out, grilling, drinking, and just relaxing. The ride back up was quick and easy compared to the car traffic.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Fireworks are Fireworks, I see absolutly no joy in watching them on TV.

Im either going to go see them live, or not see them at all.
    I could not agree more. Great to see them live, but watching them on TV is hardly the same.

Dr. Emil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Of course they do, it makes the story boring and realistic! That doesn't sell ad space or get a mention on the O'Reilly ...... hour.

Yeah it's a media conspiracy. It's not that the police can't confirm that type of information immediately, let alone relay that info to media outlets, or anything like that. The media is purposely withholding that vital information because, well I'm not sure why they would do that but I agree with you that it's bullshit that they don't report unverifiable information.

We went to Historic Fort Wayne to see them. It was relaxed & spacious. However, it was somewhat of an obstructed view as trees & some buildings were blocking it. It was the first time I'd been there & didn't know what to expect. It was a little tough getting out making a left turn though because Fort was all westbound even that far out from downtown.

ferntruth Guest

I can't speak to the other media outlets, but Fox2 reported the story accurately last night - which is really saying something for Fox!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    For those that were there, how would you estimate the crowds? The Freep is saying a million. Considering the census news, I find that a little hard to believe. Could it be true?
    Ummm, Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    For those that were there, how would you estimate the crowds? The Freep is saying a million. Considering the census news, I find that a little hard to believe. Could it be true?
    Absolutely. Many of my friends from the suburbs came down. People will still drive in all the way from Ann Arbor and northern Macomb for this show. It really is top notch.

Many years ago, when the Detroit Electronic Music Festival was still free, the event was a death trap. People got hurt, there were all sorts of problems with crowd control. It was chaos. Now that you actually have to *pay* $30 to get in, you eliminate many of the behavioral issues.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, would it be that big a deal for Hart Plaza and Belle Isle to charge $5 per person? You could even charge $7 per person for people who aren't Detroit residents. Use the money to pay for high level security in those areas.

There are plenty of people who want to come but stay home because of concerns about safety. For every person who was unwilling to pay the $5, I'd bet there are 3 more who'd pay that aren't coming down right now. I'd bet that you'd attract for more people while simultaneously eliminating a lot of the safety issues.

I wish that we could enjoy these events and make them free for all. But the reality is that the city doesn't have the funds to make them secure. And frankly, for those who don't have the money to buy Pistons and Tiger Tickets...you watch it on TV.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Many years ago, when the Detroit Electronic Music Festival was still free, the event was a death trap. People got hurt, there were all sorts of problems with crowd control. It was chaos. Now that you actually have to *pay* $30 to get in, you eliminate many of the behavioral issues.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, would it be that big a deal for Hart Plaza and Belle Isle to charge $5 per person? You could even charge $7 per person for people who aren't Detroit residents. Use the money to pay for high level security in those areas.

There are plenty of people who want to come but stay home because of concerns about safety. For every person who was unwilling to pay the $5, I'd bet there are 3 more who'd pay that aren't coming down right now. I'd bet that you'd attract for more people while simultaneously eliminating a lot of the safety issues.

I wish that we could enjoy these events and make them free for all. But the reality is that the city doesn't have the funds to make them secure. And frankly, for those who don't have the money to buy Pistons and Tiger Tickets...you watch it on TV.

Thoughts?
    I agree. I am a proponent of charging for virtually everything, except the things that should obviously be free, like concerts in Campus Martius. IMO, the City should be charging a fee for the following:

• Belle Isle [[$5/vehicle)- this would keep out the clowns who use the island just to drive around blasting music and drinking. Belle Isle is designed to be a serene place for peaceful enjoyment, but I often see the same 20 idiots driving in circles with their stereos at full tilt yelling out the windows. BTW, these idiots come in all shapes and colors.
    • Hoedown [[$20/person)- an entrance fee would keep the majority of trashy, confederate flag-waving, destructive assholes out of downtown. These people are the worst. They destroyed my parking garage for 3 days straight, threw glass bottles off the roof, left garbage everywhere, passed out drunk on the sidewalk, threw up in the elevators, pissed on resident's cars, and spit on my coat.
    • Fireworks [[$5 fee)- an entrance fee for Belle Isle, the Riverwalk, and Hart Plaza would keep the vast majority of freeloading teenagers from coming downtown to fight, stampede, loiter, and shoot each other.

At all other events and parks, the city needs to enforce a curfew for kids under 18-years-old. There's no reason why groups of teens should be hanging around at 1:00 am. They can't patronize bars, they likely don't have money for restaurants, they can't gamble, so what the hell are they doing? I say, if you're 16 and you're not directly leaving an event, leaving a job, or with a parent/guardian, then you get hauled in for delinquency for being out past 10pm. Many cities have these rules, they just need to be enforced. The city only needs to focus enforcement on Friday and Saturday nights; there's rarely ever a problem on other nights. Also, shut down Kingdom nightclub.
    Last edited by BrushStart; June-29-11 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Wow, reading my post, it makes me seem like an Archie Bunker-esq NIMBY when I'm really a progressive mid-20s yuppie! Yikes!

bartock Guest

I don't understand this. Does this somehow excuse what happened, or make people feel safer now that a 14 year old accidentally shot his gun off, and accidentally a bullet hit the 16 year old? And this becomes a media issue again to some...eh, ok.

That "correction" doesn't make me feel better, and, in fact, makes me think that more people could have/would have been shot that night had this "kid" not shot himself first.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I agree. I am a proponent of charging for virtually everything, except the things that should obviously be free, like concerts in Campus Martius. IMO, the City should be charging a fee for the following:

• Belle Isle [[$5/vehicle)- this would keep out the clowns who use the island just to drive around blasting music and drinking. Belle Isle is designed to be a serene place for peaceful enjoyment, but I often see the same 20 idiots driving in circles with their stereos at full tilt yelling out the windows. BTW, these idiots come in all shapes and colors.
    • Hoedown [[$20/person)- an entrance fee would keep the majority of trashy, confederate flag-waving, destructive assholes out of downtown. These people are the worst. They destroyed my parking garage for 3 days straight, threw glass bottles off the roof, left garbage everywhere, passed out drunk on the sidewalk, threw up in the elevators, pissed on resident's cars, and spit on my coat.
    • Fireworks [[$5 fee)- an entrance fee for Belle Isle, the Riverwalk, and Hart Plaza would keep the vast majority of freeloading teenagers from coming downtown to fight, stampede, loiter, and shoot each other.

Totally agreed. We had to pay a fee in my complex for wristbands. This pays for extra security & cleanup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2