I am not drunk and not overly emotional, in fact I am not a big fan of outward displays of emotion, but I really enjoy this forum because most of you give yourself time to research and debate the fine points about your city in a cordial way. So what if sometimes folks get pissed off. It is cool to imagine individual contributors' personalities via their writings. Lowell's DetroitYes is a very important landmark in the city's history it seems to me, there is an allegiance to Detroit from far and wide and ideas flow from the people who experience Detroit from times past and from their daily interactions with the city. The proof that Detroit can overcome its problems is in the affection and even in the anger that is regularly displayed here. I am just stating this because it is important to see that talk is not as cheap as some think.

Detroit has had some serious issues, but if you think about it, there are a lot of people living in the city and metro, and if the same ecumenical feel happens in committees and associations across town, there will undoubtedly arise a new type of city, with a very upbeat people. The folks who remain loyal to the D are in for an agreeable turnaround. Hope may not be sufficient, but enthusiasm will help the good things that steer this big ship on a good course. Gilbert and Bing are doing good stuff for the city, and they need support the way charities and sports figures need applause and congratulations. I also am looking forward to Obama's response to Bing's comment aboout the feds giving major atention to the city. There is also the city's new plan for action which has not been revealed apart form the cursory announcements on demolitions. The metro region needs consolidation, and that may happen if politicians open their minds and hearts but also if metro Detroiters demand change in this direction.

Detroit's imminent transformation will not only be good for its citizens but for your country and for Canada as well. If my hunch is right, Obama will get the urban planning smart set to devise an extraordinary plan for Detroit. The time for spending futile amounts of money and energy on foreign wars is nearing an end and coincides with caring for the homeland and the people. OK I had a coupla beer in my irish french-canadian self as I wrote this but hey...