Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    LOL Royal Oak and Ferndale enforce til 10pm 6 nights a week and you can't find a place to park. Just ignore things like that and keep thinking Detroit is the center of the universe
    You can run out of your shitty, Ikea-furnished yuppie bar in Royal Oak or Ferndale to feed a meter and come back to your Appletini. You can't just up and leave Joe Louis, Comerica Park, or Ford Field to do that.

if they are going to do this they should upgrade the parking meter situation. Is there such a thing as a parking meter card system. Put money on the card and slide it at the meter. Pay for the amount of time you plan on staying ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    First of all they aint going to let you leave Comerica Park during the 7th inning to feed the meter.
    Actually, you can leave Comerica Park during the 7th inning. There are certain gates, mostly the ones along Witherell & Montcalm where you can exit & gain re-entry. You MUST have your ticket scanned on the way out, or else you can't get back in. Of course this bears on if you are timing the meter & aren't to wrapped up in the game to remember to feed it. I might to get a ticket if Verlander's pitching a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    You can run out of your shitty, Ikea-furnished yuppie bar in Royal Oak or Ferndale to feed a meter and come back to your Appletini. You can't just up and leave Joe Louis, Comerica Park, or Ford Field to do that.
    Wow. that coming from the one who said:

Nightlife? What nightlife? The Park Bar and then some clubs where there's a shooting every week? I've lived here for years and never experienced anything that passes for a nightlife, except during special events.
    so, you DON'T want a nightlife? or you DO want a nightlife so long as no one is allowed to serve appletinis? and/or keeps it "real" enough for your particular standards.
    Last edited by bailey; June-20-11 at 09:34 AM.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Wow. that coming from the one who said:

so, you DON'T want a nightlife? or you DO want a nightlife so long as no one is allowed to serve appletinis? and/or keeps it "real" enough for your particular standards.
    I'm saying the nightlife in Metro Detroit - city and suburbs - blows compared to real cities, for all the usual reasons. This is just yet another crappy thing to happen.

I'm saying the nightlife in Metro Detroit - city and suburbs - blows compared to real cities, for all the usual reasons. This is just yet another crappy thing to happen.
    on the list of things keeping the area from being a "real city", ticketing until 10 is pretty f'ing far down on the list. Minor annoyance? maybe. reason for not coming down town? only if you're looking for excuses.

Tiger fans don't seem to have a problem finding parking during day games. I'll second bailey this is a minor annoyance at best.

Here's an idea: Park in one of the gazillion dirt-fucking-cheap parking lots or structures throughout downtown Detroit -- it's probably cheaper to do that than feed a meter for the duration of a Tigers game anyway! People complain about the dumbest shit on here sometimes...
    Last edited by iheartthed; June-20-11 at 11:26 AM.

I usually just take the bus in instead. I dont really like to drive anywhere when I dont have to.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Here's an idea: Park in one of the gazillion dirt-fucking-cheap parking lots or structures throughout downtown Detroit -- it's probably cheaper to do that than feed a meter for the duration of a Tigers game anyway! People complain about the dumbest shit on here sometimes...
    Right. One of my buddies from NYC says that yes, there's no place like New York and there is no comparison, but everything "back home" is so freakin' expensive. She and other friends can't believe how cheap the COD is. Recently a buddy from LA was so enthused about how cheap our opera tickets were until they got two for the price of one, and invited me along. It's the same with other friends from alpha cities. If they read this thread about Detroiters being overcharged for parking, they'd laugh their heads off.

Look, folks. I feel your pain. My mantra back in the day was "I do not pay for parking in Detroit." One of my many spots 5-10 years ago was under the People Mover near Library Street. No one seemed to think to park there, and after Compuware was built I never had any problems with smash & go. Now there are meters there. Used to be able to park in Midtown/WSU area all over the place for free. I even figured out how to park for free during Super Bowl. Buddies and sorority sisters called me The Parking Queen throughout my 20s.

Now, not only are things not free, I can't even find parking in a lot of places during times when I'd like to go. This is a new problem for the city, and a good thing. You're not supposed to find free or cheap and easily available parking in the "coolest" spots. Parking and driving is supposed to be a hassle in major cities... and that's why most cities have public transit options.

If paying an extra $2 or $3 to park downtown is going to prevent you from coming downtown, I'm highly doubtful you'd be spending any money in town anyway. And you can find parking for $5 or even less lots of places downtown where you don't have to worry about smash and grabs like you would at a meter. Good luck finding parking in Chicago for $5 for ONE HOUR. The last time I was there, it was $15 an hour.

This is Detroit acting like every other city- if there is enough demand for metered parking until 10 pm that they can charge for it, why shouldn't they?

One you no longer have the option to park on the street for free we will see how long the parking stays dirt cheap.

All in all this will end up being much ado about nothing. I believe there always has technically been some sort of Saturday enforcement and every once in a while they write tickets and everyone gets upset. In particular I am thinking of a Wings game where they wrote tickets outside of the normal hours of enforcement and everyone whined and cried. Over the long term I can't really see them adding 30+ more hours a week of enforcement once the majority of people start parking in lots. The program will be unsustainable. They will probably use this to enforce during select events or for a couple of hours after 6pm Tu - F on occasion. That sort of makes it worse since it will appear to be arbitrary.

This is a crazy complaint. Parking costs money. A ticket because you let your meter expire is not a slap in the face. It's simple law enforcement. And we need more of it.

And complaining about expired meters during sporting events is ridiculous. There's are not 17000 street meters within walking distance of Joe Louis. Or 40000 near Ford Field. That's why we have structures and lots. And that why the people mover is packed before and after games.

If you're bitching about not being able to park at a meter for a game, you're a cheapskate. And I seriously doubt you're going to many games and buying 9 dollar beers. Oh that's right - you're probably paying 7.50 a beer and not tipping.

This isn't about who is cheap. This is about what's practical. The city has, for as long as I can remember, never enforced meters in the evenings and on Saturdays. Yes, the city is in dire straits and needs all the cash it can muster. But how is this going to generate any reasonable amount of money? As has been pointed out, it will be nearly impossible to park at a meter during a sporting event. So, the majority of street spots will probably stay empty. Again, I wonder if this will be well publicized and will signs be prominently placed on all meters so people unaccustomed to the change in policy will be aware of it before they get a ticket?

Then there are the scores of bars and other businesses that struggle to stay open at night on non-event days. Many people won't care at all about plugging a meter with a few quarters while they grab a pop at their favorite pub. But I'm betting the extra hassle will tip a few more away from a spontaneous stop on the way home. The city won't benefit that much, because the private company that runs the parking dept will get their hefty cut. But the parking lots around the CoPa and JLA certainly will [[read: Ilitich).

In all the years I've lived downtown, I've heard every ridiculous excuse for not coming here. Do you really think people won't add this one to the list?

Ok, I am down for that, and fo' sho' Chi-town is higher... Go that... but I resent the coy "got cha" thing of a zillion 1 hour meters at venues which by definition require more time... that's not getting the city anywhere. I pay to park and park to pay but I am not doing a one hour parking meter for a an event lasting three and whoa to the person who does.

And many of these so called pay or 'monitored' free event parking lots public and private are not SAFE> AS I said elsewhere, I was at Chene Park recently and a friends Chrysler product was vandalized along with several others during an extended event...

Perhaps it's just best to catch the bus downtown and call it a day... LOL! No driving is preferred even with the parking issues and storm-trooper meter folks eyeballing the meters......
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    If paying an extra $2 or $3 to park downtown is going to prevent you from coming downtown, I'm highly doubtful you'd be spending any money in town anyway. And you can find parking for $5 or even less lots of places downtown where you don't have to worry about smash and grabs like you would at a meter. Good luck finding parking in Chicago for $5 for ONE HOUR. The last time I was there, it was $15 an hour.

This is Detroit acting like every other city- if there is enough demand for metered parking until 10 pm that they can charge for it, why shouldn't they?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-21-11 at 07:45 AM.

The fix is in... keeping it on the 'low-low' for a while will generate a sweep of violations especially upon the 'suburbanites' who will park and not put in any coins unaware of the new D-troit meter monitoring policy. They along with Detroiters will pay their first round of ticket generating some fast revenue [[or pocket lining), then other choices will be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    This isn't about who is cheap. This is about what's practical. The city has, for as long as I can remember, never enforced meters in the evenings and on Saturdays. Yes, the city is in dire straits and needs all the cash it can muster ...I wonder if this will be well publicized and will signs be prominently placed on all meters so people unaccustomed to the change in policy will be aware of it before they get a ticket?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-21-11 at 07:47 AM.

sorry folks...go to any major city and try to find any person coming into the that city to enjoy a nite or day in that city for a long period of time and pay street parking for their
    3 or 4 hours of fun, does not happen,,,they pay long term at lots.
    street parking is for short term only!
    party store, deli, pick-up something!!!
    visit the east coast cities!

I would without hesitation pay the $15 to park in downtown NYC because as a destination it would be worth it and even if I was to cheap to actually buy anything at the very minimum I would be one more warm body with a set of eyes that would deter those who wish make it difficult for others enjoying what the city has to offer.

But it is typical,instead of the city fixing the currant system and knowing where the problems are it is better to bring in more funds to throw at something so eventually it will get to the point where the incoming is more then the waste.

In theory you could put toll plazas coming into the city and say if you are to cheap to pay,lets just say $20, then you do not to enter the city.

People are not "bitching" it is a valid issue that is brought up in every city and it is kinda along the lines of adding taxes,a penny here a penny there and at the end of the year it adds to the cost of living and what is received in return for those costs and is the city worth living in comparatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I would without hesitation pay the $15 to park in downtown NYC because as a destination it would be worth it and even if I was to cheap to actually buy anything at the very minimum I would be one more warm body with a set of eyes that would deter those who wish make it difficult for others enjoying what the city has to offer.

But it is typical,instead of the city fixing the currant system and knowing where the problems are it is better to bring in more funds to throw at something so eventually it will get to the point where the incoming is more then the waste.

In theory you could put toll plazas coming into the city and say if you are to cheap to pay,lets just say $20, then you do not to enter the city.

People are not "bitching" it is a valid issue that is brought up in every city and it is kinda along the lines of adding taxes,a penny here a penny there and at the end of the year it adds to the cost of living and what is received in return for those costs and is the city worth living in comparatively.
    Just a guess... But maybe the city increased the hours of parking enforcement because they do not want street parking spaces downtown to be used for long term parking? That's the point of having metered parking with time limits. If people are coming in and hogging spaces for 5 or 6 hours to go to a Tigers games then that's a parking spot that someone coming in for a 2 hour dinner cannot use. So from the perspective of the city, it's probably not so much a cash grab as they probably just prefer that you park in the garage if you plan to stay long term.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    This isn't about who is cheap. This is about what's practical. The city has, for as long as I can remember, never enforced meters in the evenings and on Saturdays. Yes, the city is in dire straits and needs all the cash it can muster. But how is this going to generate any reasonable amount of money? As has been pointed out, it will be nearly impossible to park at a meter during a sporting event. So, the majority of street spots will probably stay empty. Again, I wonder if this will be well publicized and will signs be prominently placed on all meters so people unaccustomed to the change in policy will be aware of it before they get a ticket?

Then there are the scores of bars and other businesses that struggle to stay open at night on non-event days. Many people won't care at all about plugging a meter with a few quarters while they grab a pop at their favorite pub. But I'm betting the extra hassle will tip a few more away from a spontaneous stop on the way home. The city won't benefit that much, because the private company that runs the parking dept will get their hefty cut. But the parking lots around the CoPa and JLA certainly will [[read: Ilitich).

In all the years I've lived downtown, I've heard every ridiculous excuse for not coming here. Do you really think people won't add this one to the list?
    lol as a former bartender. NO ONE has one or two drinks. OK maybe a person or two. Drunk driving anyone?

Give me a break. Everyone drives drunk.

Detroit has set itself up for drunk driving and so has 95% of America.

How boring a life. Can't even go have a few beers because you will be drunk driving out of the bar.

Meter costs are not the issue here. How many lives are endangered by irresponsible people and bars and drinking? About everyone that goes into a bar.

You can make it all cute that as a responsible citizen you go in for a drink then non-alcholic smoothies for chit chat there. Yeah right!
    Last edited by runnerXT; June-21-11 at 10:14 PM.

Just a guess... But maybe the city increased the hours of parking enforcement because they do not want street parking spaces downtown to be used for long term parking?
    Absolutely. Street parking is limited. If you expect to park in the street for a 3-hour+ game, you're expectations are ridiculous. Parking costs money in all cities. In Dearborn, in the west entertainment district, they charge to park till 2:00 am on Friday night/Saturday morning. In today's world, charging till 10:00 is not unreasonable. The city owns the streets. Why should it provide free parking during the prime hours of 6 to 10? It doesn't matter that Detroit has never done it before. The city is finally catching up to the rest of the region. Isn't that progress?

Well that's a point. We'll just have to adjust. I just hope people find out about it soon. Old habits are hard to break for those anticipating the 6 PM cutoff for the meter folks... I don't do baseball or sports downtown anyhow so that will be a non-issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    sorry folks...go to any major city and try to find any person coming into the that city to enjoy a nite or day in that city for a long period of time and pay street parking for their
    3 or 4 hours of fun, does not happen,,,they pay long term at lots.
    street parking is for short term only!
    party store, deli, pick-up something!!!
    visit the east coast cities!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That is pure fantasy, darlin', but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

It is MUCH more likely that they'd learn to look at meters paid up for a full four hours and KNOW for certain their owners weren't going to be back anytime soon.

Until the Meter Monsters are paid incentive to watch for crime, they will be blind to it. It is simply not their yob, meng.

It is time to republicize the parking department, anyways...bring that shit back into the realm of the police department, exactly SO these folks can become eyes and ears to bring police response where they see a need.

As long as it remains privatized, and some entity is allowed to skim profits off the top of all this, we will continue to have troubles. I am quite suspect there is a feedback loop that keeps this status quo empowered...some policital donation tool which funds those who promise to keep it in place. Too much money being made by a company that is doing the work of the city government.

Cheers and more,
    John
    ..the parking dept. is privatized?

anyway.. i just found out that the city's annual "amnesty" is going on now through July 1st.. people can pay their parking tickets for 50% off..

If you pay the ticket within 10 days, isn't it only a $10 ticket? Seems alot cheaper than the $20 parking signs surrounding the stadiums. Also it would be interesting to offer people who have tickets to major events downtown 50 cent bus rides in and out of the city to see if it helps the parking situtation considering that more than a quarter of downtown has been turned into a parking lot to satisfy the stadiums infrequent parking demands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2