Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This is a part of the non forward thinking that the leaders of detroit are guilty of. This will cancel some of the nightlif
    LOL Royal Oak and Ferndale enforce til 10pm 6 nights a week and you can't find a place to park. Just ignore things like that and keep thinking Detroit is the center of the universe

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    LOL Royal Oak and Ferndale enforce til 10pm 6 nights a week and you can't find a place to park. Just ignore things like that and keep thinking Detroit is the center of the universe
    You can run out of your shitty, Ikea-furnished yuppie bar in Royal Oak or Ferndale to feed a meter and come back to your Appletini. You can't just up and leave Joe Louis, Comerica Park, or Ford Field to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    You can run out of your shitty, Ikea-furnished yuppie bar in Royal Oak or Ferndale to feed a meter and come back to your Appletini. You can't just up and leave Joe Louis, Comerica Park, or Ford Field to do that.
    Wow. that coming from the one who said:

Nightlife? What nightlife? The Park Bar and then some clubs where there's a shooting every week? I've lived here for years and never experienced anything that passes for a nightlife, except during special events.
    so, you DON'T want a nightlife? or you DO want a nightlife so long as no one is allowed to serve appletinis? and/or keeps it "real" enough for your particular standards.
    Last edited by bailey; June-20-11 at 09:34 AM.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Wow. that coming from the one who said:

so, you DON'T want a nightlife? or you DO want a nightlife so long as no one is allowed to serve appletinis? and/or keeps it "real" enough for your particular standards.
    I'm saying the nightlife in Metro Detroit - city and suburbs - blows compared to real cities, for all the usual reasons. This is just yet another crappy thing to happen.

I'm saying the nightlife in Metro Detroit - city and suburbs - blows compared to real cities, for all the usual reasons. This is just yet another crappy thing to happen.
    on the list of things keeping the area from being a "real city", ticketing until 10 is pretty f'ing far down on the list. Minor annoyance? maybe. reason for not coming down town? only if you're looking for excuses.

Tiger fans don't seem to have a problem finding parking during day games. I'll second bailey this is a minor annoyance at best.

Here's an idea: Park in one of the gazillion dirt-fucking-cheap parking lots or structures throughout downtown Detroit -- it's probably cheaper to do that than feed a meter for the duration of a Tigers game anyway! People complain about the dumbest shit on here sometimes...
    Last edited by iheartthed; June-20-11 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Here's an idea: Park in one of the gazillion dirt-fucking-cheap parking lots or structures throughout downtown Detroit -- it's probably cheaper to do that than feed a meter for the duration of a Tigers game anyway! People complain about the dumbest shit on here sometimes...
    Right. One of my buddies from NYC says that yes, there's no place like New York and there is no comparison, but everything "back home" is so freakin' expensive. She and other friends can't believe how cheap the COD is. Recently a buddy from LA was so enthused about how cheap our opera tickets were until they got two for the price of one, and invited me along. It's the same with other friends from alpha cities. If they read this thread about Detroiters being overcharged for parking, they'd laugh their heads off.

Look, folks. I feel your pain. My mantra back in the day was "I do not pay for parking in Detroit." One of my many spots 5-10 years ago was under the People Mover near Library Street. No one seemed to think to park there, and after Compuware was built I never had any problems with smash & go. Now there are meters there. Used to be able to park in Midtown/WSU area all over the place for free. I even figured out how to park for free during Super Bowl. Buddies and sorority sisters called me The Parking Queen throughout my 20s.

Now, not only are things not free, I can't even find parking in a lot of places during times when I'd like to go. This is a new problem for the city, and a good thing. You're not supposed to find free or cheap and easily available parking in the "coolest" spots. Parking and driving is supposed to be a hassle in major cities... and that's why most cities have public transit options.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    One you no longer have the option to park on the street for free we will see how long the parking stays dirt cheap.

All in all this will end up being much ado about nothing. I believe there always has technically been some sort of Saturday enforcement and every once in a while they write tickets and everyone gets upset. In particular I am thinking of a Wings game where they wrote tickets outside of the normal hours of enforcement and everyone whined and cried. Over the long term I can't really see them adding 30+ more hours a week of enforcement once the majority of people start parking in lots. The program will be unsustainable. They will probably use this to enforce during select events or for a couple of hours after 6pm Tu - F on occasion. That sort of makes it worse since it will appear to be arbitrary.