Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Gannon starts a thread about feeling threatened while downtown and the whole world has to jump on the bandwagon.

Statistically speaking, downtown is one of the safest places to be.
    "Crime is unevenly distributed throughout the city. A 2006 study showed crime in downtown Detroit [[CBD) is much lower than national, state and metro averages." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Detroit,_Michigan

So after reading 2 pages of responses the common denominator seems to be "my quick response to said perps, and looking him / them in the eyes scared him off". Not much in the way of any actual or attempted crimes. I contend most people out to forceably relieve you of your money, watch, phone, car, etc will not be deterred just because you looked at them.

People have a perception of thieves and thugs wandering the streets of Detroit and immediately associate that thought to any interaction they encounter.
    Thus the point of my post. In other communities people will look at the exact same scenerio quite differently. Race wasn't brought up, so I am hesitant to do so but the reality of life is that many people will eye a group of black teens diffently than a group of similar aged, similarly dressed white teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Statistically speaking, downtown is one of the safest places to be. "Crime is unevenly distributed throughout the city. A 2006 study showed crime in downtown Detroit [[CBD) is much lower than national, state and metro averages." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Detroit,_Michigan
    Have anything more recent than 2006? A bit long in the tooth for a crime report.

There's also a certain fudge factor involved. My cousin was shot while walking to her car on the west side of Detroit, once in the shoulder and once in the neck. She survived, but the cops put the incident down as "aggravated assault" instead of attempted homicide, or assault with intent to kill. Apparently there was a loony shooting people for no reason in that part of town, and a spike in attempted homicides would have looked bad in their precinct.

I contend most people out to forceably relieve you of your money, watch, phone, car, etc will not be deterred just because you looked at them.
    Not so. Most criminals look for soft targets. They don't want a fight - they want to snatch your purse or deck you in the back of the head and grab your wallet, and run. Why fight someone when you can just smash and grab?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Somehow I hadn't heard anything about this. Can anyone provide information or a link? Thank you!
    There were two shootings on the riverwalk on Sunday May 22. One at Riopelle and one right where the sprinklers are in front of the Ren Cen. I don't know the details about the Riopelle incident, I think it happened around 8:00. Both shootings were non-fatal. The one by the sprinklers happened at 8:50. The walk was packed and there were still families with children hanging around. A 16-year-old boy fought with an 18-year-old. The 16-year-old pulled a gun and fired three rounds. He hit the other boy in the shoulder. There was a brief news story on ch. 7, but I couldn't find it just now.

I'm really sorry to hear this since I am in the area a lot and usually walking. I've never seen anyone do that but your story made me realize I need to pay more attention. It's a shame that this is going on. Sorry but these punks have no right to live in this society. If they are waiting to rob the right person the deserve to be killed.

I don't really need a report to tell me that Downtown is very safe compared to other areas of Detroit and even many suburbs. If you walk around a few neighborhoods in NW Detroit that used to be family-oriented,you can see what an absolute lack of security looks like. The shooting at the Riverwalk stands out and keeps coming up because it was a rare example, that and worse have become the norm in other areas of the city.

I'm a person who is comfortable being hyper-vigilant as I grew up in Detroit and recognize that some people were not raised to appreciate living good lives let alone living the good life. What I find in being hyper-vigilant is that criminals don't like being observed. It doesn't take page after page on this forum to make that point. As a benefit, I get to know my neighbors because I ask questions when things are different or out of place and I observe everything from the guy who's watching a stranger's purse too closely to the stray kitten hiding in a bush across the street. I'm glad to see that Gannon and other folks are starting to see that there are predators and prey out there but it is sort of sad that this is being presented as novel or local phenomenon. What keeps crime low where density is high is a bunch of 'sheepdogs' blending in with the sheep but keeping their senses attune and their fangs sharp. BE A SHEEPDOG. Observe the wolves, let them know you see them and neutralize them if you must. I hope that everyone who's commented here can get over waiting for DPD to get their act together and go out and stare would-be criminals in the face because in most cases that's all it takes--just be prepared if it takes more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Gannon starts a thread about feeling threatened while downtown and the whole world has to jump on the bandwagon.

Statistically speaking, downtown is one of the safest places to be.
    "Crime is unevenly distributed throughout the city. A 2006 study showed crime in downtown Detroit [[CBD) is much lower than national, state and metro averages." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Detroit,_Michigan

So after reading 2 pages of responses the common denominator seems to be "my quick response to said perps, and looking him / them in the eyes scared him off". Not much in the way of any actual or attempted crimes. I contend most people out to forceably relieve you of your money, watch, phone, car, etc will not be deterred just because you looked at them.

People have a perception of thieves and thugs wandering the streets of Detroit and immediately associate that thought to any interaction they encounter.
    Thus the point of my post. In other communities people will look at the exact same scenerio quite differently. Race wasn't brought up, so I am hesitant to do so but the reality of life is that many people will eye a group of black teens diffently than a group of similar aged, similarly dressed white teens.
    Ditto. The challenge is getting to where we are vigilant when the criminals aren't as obvious or easily deterred.

Anecdote from the '70s that still tickles me. A coworker told me he and a friend were on their way to a Red Wings game at Olympia Stadium one winter day when they were confronted by a fella with a knife that demanded their wallets. My coworker said to his surprise, his buddy pulled out a pistol and shot the thug in the leg. They then walked off to enjoy the game. After the game, they noticed a blood trail in the snow.

Of course, they did not report the incident to the hospital. I wonder how many people go to a hospital with a gunshot or other wounds as the result of a hold up and claim that they were set upon by criminals. More than a few, is my guess.

When I asked my coworker if I knew the fella that pulled out a gun on the hold up man, he said maybe, but that he couldn't tell me his name. I always suspected that he was the shooter.

Well stated. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    ...I hope that everyone who's commented here can get over waiting for DPD to get their act together and go out and stare would-be criminals in the face because in most cases that's all it takes--just be prepared if it takes more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3