Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ Exactly . With all of the currant turmoil going on there are more and more standing up in taking pride in their city and starting to have a voice in the direction the city is going in and it shows,there are "outsiders" that have a certain distaste for Detroit and it was based on if the citizens do not care about the future of their city why should anybody else.
    And where were they on this? Did the residents approve of this? Because either they did, or just didn't show up to a meeting. Does the city send out notices to residents when a new business locates within "x" number of feet of their home?

Are you inferring that the loft-dwellers on Woodward, and the retirees living on Washington Boulevard are all convicts-in-training who will need their own personal bail bondsperson in the near future?!

Gilbert & Karmanos didn't want to walk too far from their offices?!

You might be onto something there...

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    It's funny to me how there is such a preponderance of nail salons, bail bonds businesses, and liquor/party stores in our city, yet finding a decent grocery store, bakery, or fruit market is nearly impossible outside of midtown. What is wrong with our city? We value nails, booze, and getting out of jail quick more than eating healthy and having a moderately decent quality of living.
    Gsgeorge,

I think you are being a little over-dramatic. A quick Google search for bail bonds in Detroit returns about 10 of them in the city, mostly located downtown. You seem to think this is because there is something fundamentally wrong with Detroit, or that city residents value bail bonds more than produce, but it seems much more likely that these bail bonds business are located here because downtown Detroit is the regional hub for law enforcement and courts.

Downtown Detroit features the DPD headquarters, Wayne County Sheriffs office, Wayne County Jail, Wayne County Juvenile Detention Center, Michigan FBI HQ, 36th District Court, Frank Murphy Hall of Justice, US District Court, US Bankruptcy Court, Wayne County Friend of the Court, etc. It makes perfect sense that there would be a cluster of Bail Bond services in the same area.

Concerning the ratio of party stores to grocery stores in the city, it varies greatly in different areas of the city, and also the suburbs, for that matter. The downtown, midtown, Mexican town, near east side, and east Jefferson corridor have a pretty good ratio of grocery stores to liquor stores. The ratio isn't as good in many other areas of the city, but the same is true of many suburbs. For example, Hazel Park has a ton of party stores, but only a few grocery stores.

As for the nail salon complaint, I don't understand why you would consider them to be a problem or detriment to a neighborhood. As far as I know, nail salons are not magnets for criminal activity, or prone to engaging in practices and behaviors that negatively impact the surrounding businesses and residents.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    And where were they on this? Did the residents approve of this? Because either they did, or just didn't show up to a meeting. Does the city send out notices to residents when a new business locates within "x" number of feet of their home?
    Good questions,I found this site that covers from 6 mile up but my concern is outer rings eastside so my research is limited when it comes to Woodward

http://www.woodwardavenue.org/index.html

But I can speculate with limited knowledge.

I can see Woodward from 6 Mile to downtown becoming a destination once the rail is implemented,the kind of shops and stores that would probably fit there would be locally owned small businesses such as antique stores or collectables mixed with cafes maybe a cigar bar small business like that .the reason being would be is because as the downtown fills in the the rents will rise to the point it would not be profitable for these small shops to operate also it would give tourists a reason to stop and supplement the income of the shop owners.

City council = Who ever has that district needs to step up to the plate and start helping their constituents help themselves a lot of positive things can happen to better a neighborhood that does not cost anything. Send them emails the have staff that can get the ball rolling even if they do not take an interest.

Chain of command is your council representative then the mayor.

Look at this map and the areas it covers and why only those areas and last updated in 2009? Is it a currant board of directors?

https://www.detroitmi.gov/NextDetroi...1/Default.aspx

Vision
    To transform Detroit neighborhoods into vibrant places for people to live, work, and play.

Mission
    Our mission is to reinforce, revitalize, and redevelop targeted neighborhoods into thriving communities. We address quality of life issues by fostering community engagement and economic development activities, integrating city services that leverage public and private investments, linking people to resources and providing planning and project management solutions.

But it is all part of city planning to set the future, Strip clubs okay they pay taxes so lets set aside a section and they can only establish business in that zone.

Prevents future problems and sets the guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This is another reason why the zoning commision should be brought before the council and raked over the coal on who the commision allow to set up shop in certain locations
    The zoning commission would not even see this. It is a permitted use. I think the biggest outrage should be that the City's main street can only attract bail bondsman. You too can open up a store along Woodward providing that it is a permitted use without getting the ZBA involved.

Maybe Bail Bonds will lead to spin-offs next door, like Pawn Shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Look at this map and the areas it covers and why only those areas and last updated in 2009? Is it a currant board of directors?

https://www.detroitmi.gov/NextDetroi...1/Default.aspx
    Greetings.
    I wanted more information myself on this...and it seems that this is the site that they are using to provide the updated information.

http://www.next-detroit.org/

It is right next to the david whitney building, And downtown detroit dose not need this!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2