Hello fellow Detroit enthusiasts! I am continuing my search for the perfect [[or at least amazing cool) Detroit residence. My home here in South Carolina is now offically on the market [[as of June 7th.) I have focused my search on the East English Village neighborhood...which for many reasons, I believe will be the best fit.
However...the one detraction of that neighborhood is its distance to downtown [[certainly not walkable...and not easily bikeable.) I have been looking at the Corktown and Woodbridge neighborhoods recently, but their entry-level price points are at the upper end of my budgetary "comfort zone."

Recently, I came across a property at the very eastern edge of Hubbard Farms [[right on West grand Blvd.) that has the walkability and bikeability to downtown that is important to me, combined with an EEV price point. The home itself is beautiful. It sits on West Grand Blvd about a block from Lafayette [[I-75 sevice drive) across from the Delray Senior housing.

When I showed my girlfriend the pictures of the house, she kinda freaked out. The home has steel doors front & back. It also has what appears to be a 6' - 8' cyclone fence in front as well as bars over all the rear 1st story windows. Now, she was born and has spent her entire life in a medium size town in South Carolina...so her reaction wasn't totally unexpected. But...
we also haven't seen anywhere near these security features on any other property we have looked at in EEV, Corktown or Woodbridge either!

She reminds me frequently that she is excited and hopeful about moving to Detroit...but dosen't want to get killed in the process...she is kidding...I think.
To satisfy both of our curiositys, can anyone living in or near that area [[or who otherwise might be familiar with it) comment specifically on the crime situation there? All the security measures have us both a little spooked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul & Shannon