Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Theory: The governor's office approached Bing and suggested that he take over as EM for DPS. As an incentive they will make him the EM for Detroit and push to change the EFM law so that the mayor could remove the school board and city council thereby giving him sole authority. Bing liked the idea of EM for Detroit but could not come out publicly and say he wanted it because he would be labeled by the citizens as a dictator. He did not want control of the schools because DPS is so broken, it would take a god to fix that mess. Bing offered an alternative: put my man as DPS EM and make me CofD EM.

One thing people have to remember is that Gary Brown was trying to come up with another alternative: give the mayor EM-like powers but keep the council. This would imply that word got out that the mayor was negotiating to become EM and Brown was angling to keep his job.
    That's a very good theory. Once all of the information comes out, your theory will pretty much be a fact. The only difference, in my opinion, is that Bing probably approached Snyder first. But that's neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    That's a very good theory. Once all of the information comes out, your theory will pretty much be a fact. The only difference, in my opinion, is that Bing probably approached Snyder first. But that's neither here nor there.
    I could accept Bing going to the governor pushing his boy for the job. Bing knew the residents wanted the mayor's office take over the schools but Bing per se didn't want the job of managing the schools so he could have suggested Kirk Lewis.

...During the Cockrel mayoral tenure, I remember seeing Dumas on the Spotlight on Detroit talk show on WXYZ.. one comment from her that stuck out that I didn't like was her open dismissal of then-early proposals on urban agriculture, which she openly equated to a "plantation", which to me just contributed to the hyper-emotional, anti-intellectual arguments on that topic..