Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/...3423196.0.html

Catholic Charities, Vincent de Paul Society Supporting Abortion-providing Health
    [I had heard somewhere that Catholic charities admitted they would not be able to help all the new babies if abortion were made illegal.]

The Catholic Church has long extolled the virtue of large families.
    http://aer.sagepub.com/content/13/3/217.abstract
    "...It was found after controlling for IQ that small family boys tended to have better grades than did large family boys. First born girls had higher academic achievement than did latter born girls..."
    Last edited by maxx; June-14-11 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Holy Redeemer is probably largest parish in Detroit. I imagine St. Hugo in Bloomfield is largest in suburbs. Shrine is huge facility but declining attendance.
    St. Andrew in Rochester has the largest number of registered families, while Shrine has the largest number of attendees on average.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    St. Andrew in Rochester has the largest number of registered families, while Shrine has the largest number of attendees on average.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but where did you read that?

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    My problems with our local Archdioscese is illustrated in part by 1 - the closing of Notre Dame High School in Harper Woods.
    The Archdiocese had nothing to due with the closing of Notre Dame. The Marist Brothers opened Notre Dame Prep in Pontiac and poached much of the best staff for that facility. After a year or so they closed the Harper Woods location, supposedly because the bulk of the students were going to Pontiac. It was a more subtle way of moving to the outer suburbs than Catholic Central, but the end result was the same.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    The Archdiocese had nothing to due with the closing of Notre Dame. The Marist Brothers opened Notre Dame Prep in Pontiac and poached much of the best staff for that facility. After a year or so they closed the Harper Woods location, supposedly because the bulk of the students were going to Pontiac. It was a more subtle way of moving to the outer suburbs than Catholic Central, but the end result was the same.
    The Archdiocese closed Notre Dame along with 15 other schools at the time. The enrollment was down, and while there may be some truth to the poaching, The Marist Brothers are part of the Archdiocese. Notre Dame actually sued the Archdiocese to stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    ... Close a Catholic School, while parishes like St. Joe's, Sacred Heart, Josephat, etc., etc., are slowly dying...

Being a Roman Catholic does not mean you have to support those who run the Roman Catholic Church.
    Sacred Heart? If you mean the parish on Mack north of Eastern Market, then I have to disagree in regard to its viability. That place is usually packed and the choir is a force of nature.

I do 100 percent agree with the second comment. And that applies whether you consider yourself "orthodox", "progressive", or somewhere in the muddled middle.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    Sacred Heart? If you mean the parish on Mack north of Eastern Market, then I have to disagree in regard to its viability. That place is usually packed and the choir is a force of nature.

I do 100 percent agree with the second comment. And that applies whether you consider yourself "orthodox", "progressive", or somewhere in the muddled middle.
    Sweetest Heart of Mary, sorry! But I thought the three parishes have sort of pooled resources in an effort to keep all three open.

... has michael Voris and his real Catholic TV news covered this?

The Marists are not "part of the Archdiocese." They are not tied to the Archdiocese. They receive permission to work here, but are not ordained for this diocese like, for example, Fr. Norm Thomas, at Sacred Heart.

The Marists let their Harper Woods property run itself down. They borroweed money from AoD regularly for few upgrades such as a new parking lot. But they did not repay. They agreed to let the AoD have the plant as debt payment when it closed. Their leaving was from a push from the AoD - that is true. It was a money pit for the AoD and no hope of getting paid back.

The problem with Catholicism is that a slowly drawing away from Three Blessed Trinities and relying a iconoclasts [[the new form of idol worship). This lead a question is Catholicism part of the Christianity, or is it a cult using a mixture of Pagan and Christian beliefs for their own dogmas? I see that the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrement debating whether their " Church" needs to reform from having priests marrying women, to cover up the sex scandals. I want to see the Catholicism reform back to the 'way' of Christ just like the ancient days of Jesus to Apostle Paul. I want Catholicism stop worshiping iconoclasts like St. Peter, St Andrew, Our Lady of Grace ect... This is developed in the zealot like dogmas and other new Christian reformations. Let the Catholic Church focus only the Blessed Trinities [[ The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit). Let it be reform by winning souls by spreading the Gospels all over the world. The Catholic Church doesn't have to be in political power of world governments to mediate God and goverments. I'm sick and tired of seeing more break ups and declining members of Catholic Church. I do want to see them reform bt the power of Jesus Christ.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

As more churches being built all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The problem with Catholicism is that a slowly drawing away from Three Blessed Trinities and relying a iconoclasts [[the new form of idol worship). This lead a question is Catholicism part of the Christianity, or is it a cult using a mixture of Pagan and Christian beliefs for their own dogmas? I see that the Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrement debating whether their " Church" needs to reform from having priests marrying women, to cover up the sex scandals. I want to see the Catholicism reform back to the 'way' of Christ just like the ancient days of Jesus to Apostle Paul. I want Catholicism stop worshiping iconoclasts like St. Peter, St Andrew, Our Lady of Grace ect... This is developed in the zealot like dogmas and other new Christian reformations. Let the Catholic Church focus only the Blessed Trinities [[ The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit). Let it be reform by winning souls by spreading the Gospels all over the world. The Catholic Church doesn't have to be in political power of world governments to mediate God and goverments. I'm sick and tired of seeing more break ups and declining members of Catholic Church. I do want to see them reform bt the power of Jesus Christ.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

As more churches being built all over the world.
    A.) The church follows one Trinity, not three.

B.) There's difference between honoring a saint and worship
    Last edited by SaintMe; June-15-11 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but where did you read that?
    I'm from a Shrine family, but my father works for St. Andrew and is well connected with the AOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I want Catholicism stop worshiping iconoclasts like St. Peter, St Andrew, Our Lady of Grace ect...
    Catholics do not worship saints, we only worship God. Whoever told you that really has no clue what they are talking about, but that doesn't surprise me because there is a lot of misconceptions about the Catholic Faith.

Vox Guest

Catholics do not worship saints, we only worship God. Whoever told you that really has no clue what they are talking about, but that doesn't surprise me because there is a lot of misconceptions about the Catholic Faith.
    Well I suppose that praying to a saint to intercede with God doesn't count?

Have you never stood at the grave of someone you love, drawn there maybe in trouble or sadness, and asked [[hoping they can hear you) he or she now with God, to speak to God on your behalf? Its a normal human thing to do, whether in fervent belief or half-believing.

Catholic people do it with in communion with the saints in heaven. "Praying" as in worshiping isn't involved. Its an ancient custom dating from the earliest days of the Christian martyrs. It is a simple and lovely thing to admire and remember those who have gone before us in Faith. It is not idolotry - although to suspicious outsiders it may appear so.

In emotional cultures there may be a tendency sometimes to go a little astray with following some saints - but in time it all comes around to right worship.

...along with the other fun misconception that Catholics aren't Christians.

Sounds like Danny needs to study the Catechism before he posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    ...along with the other fun misconception that Catholics aren't Christians.

Sounds like Danny needs to study the Catechism before he posts.
    Not to mention a dictionary. An iconoclast isn't a saint or an idol; it's a destroy of icons
    i·con·o·clast   
    [ahy-kon-uh-klast] Show IPA
    –noun
    a breaker or destroyer of images, especially those set up for religious veneration.
    a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Have you never stood at the grave of someone you love, drawn there maybe in trouble or sadness, and asked [[hoping they can hear you) he or she now with God, to speak to God on your behalf? Its a normal human thing to do, whether in fervent belief or half-believing.

Catholic people do it with in communion with the saints in heaven. "Praying" as in worshiping isn't involved. Its an ancient custom dating from the earliest days of the Christian martyrs. It is a simple and lovely thing to admire and remember those who have gone before us in Faith. It is not idolotry - although to suspicious outsiders it may appear so.

In emotional cultures there may be a tendency sometimes to go a little astray with following some saints - but in time it all comes around to right worship.
    I do not talk to the graves of the dead, they aren't there. Implying that they hang around to watch their body decay is rather ghoulish, dont you think?

While praying may be a simple and lovely thing, prayer to God is more appropriate. Intersession would imply that God could not handle the job, perhaps? And I'm no "outsider" either, although now I would be considered so.

Whenever the church comes around to "right" worship, please let me know.
    Last edited by Vox; June-15-11 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    While praying may be a simple and lovely thing, prayer to God is more appropriate. Intersession would imply that God could not handle the job, perhaps? And I'm no "outsider" either, although now I would be considered so.

Well that's your personal opinion, isn't it?

Prayer to saints for intercession is one of the factors that distinguishes Catholicism from the secessionist Protestant faiths. You don't have to agree with it or even like it, but who are you to insist that the Church change its belief system to suit you? If that's how you feel, you might be more at home in a church where some random preacher teaches whatever he thinks is appropriate.

Vox Guest

Well that's your personal opinion, isn't it?

Prayer to saints for intercession is one of the factors that distinguishes Catholicism from the secessionist Protestant faiths. You don't have to agree with it or even like it, but who are you to insist that the Church change its belief system to suit you? If that's how you feel, you might be more at home in a church where some random preacher teaches whatever he thinks is appropriate.
    The mainstream Protestant religions preach the same religion that Catholics do, minus the veneration of the saints, and other practices meant to bring in the pagans into the fold centuries ago.

Let's face facts. The church is dying off. Ask yourself why that is, why the lack of priests, why a lot of things like this conference. Give it time on this course, soon there won't be any church left.

Let's face facts. The church is dying off. Ask yourself why that is, why the lack of priests, why a lot of things like this conference. Give it time on this course, soon there won't be any church left.
    You might want to check your facts. The Church may be dying off in Europe and here, but it is growing steady in South America and Africa.

The mainstream Protestant religions preach the same religion that Catholics do, minus the veneration of the saints, and other practices meant to bring in the pagans into the fold centuries ago.

Horseshit. The only thing that's similar is a belief in Jesus. NONE of the Protestant faiths teach the importance of Good Works--they all seem to think you can just say "Yay Jesus", and suddenly you're "saved".

With a membership of over 1 billion, I'd say the Church is doing quite okay. In the United States, 22 percent of the population is Catholic--the single largest religious denomination in the country. Not too shabby when you consider the religious history of the US.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; June-16-11 at 08:12 AM.

I do not talk to the graves of the dead, they aren't there. Implying that they hang around to watch their body decay is rather ghoulish, dont you think?

Omgosh...ok....so we pray to saints to ask them if they could pray to God on our behalf. We don't pray to them so that they can heal us, we pray to them so that they can pray for us to God, for Him to heal us, or help us, or whatever it is we are praying for. Catholics are not discouraged from praying directly to God, but we have another way of asking God for help, through saints.

Praying to a saint is not worship. Our worships are both correct, there is no wrong way to worship God.

Vox Guest

Horseshit. The only thing that's similar is a belief in Jesus. NONE of the Protestant faiths teach the importance of Good Works--they all seem to think you can just say "Yay Jesus", and suddenly you're "saved".

With a membership of over 1 billion, I'd say the Church is doing quite okay. In the United States, 22 percent of the population is Catholic--the single largest religious denomination in the country. Not too shabby when you consider the religious history of the US.
    Now that's not a good Catholic response. Be nice.

I like the way that you capitalize Good Works. Surprised that you didnt throw a © in there, as in Good Works © . How provincial to think that a religion has the franchise on charity. Come to think of it, all of the so called charitable organizations affiliated with the church are relics of the Church when it actually STOOD for something. What is now left is a shell of it's former self [[see below)

22 Percent of the population is CONSIDERED catholic, you mean. Where do you get that figure? The church? Please. Gannon is considered Catholic, as am I. However neither of us attend church as a normal rule, save for special events. It's pretty easy to boost your membership when you baptize at birth and use that for your membership. Try ATTENDING Catholics.

Try this study from Georgetown University. Facts always are better than Horseshit.
    http://cara.georgetown.edu/CARAServi...urchstats.html

Yes, all those statues in catholic churches, the huge celebration of Mary, even the titles bestowed on her, are hold-overs from co-opted pagan religions. So it's understandable that non-catholics would see them as a form of idolatry. BTW, Paul, the guy who turned a simple rabbi into the sacrificial lamb of god, came from Tarsus, the center of first century mystery religions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast