Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

if trash were privatized how would that affect the operation of the city Incinerator?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    if trash were privatized how would that affect the operation of the city Incinerator?
    I would assume that the incinerator will continue unless there is a landfill available to put the stuff. The contract and RFP could very well include either the incinerator or a landfill. Its probably too early to be discussing things to that level. Wither way its not a good choice. Pick your poison!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    That's an awfully broad statement. It can of course be true. But sometimes its not true.

I understand that in cities where union employees 'bid' against private contractors, they do win on a regular basis. The best result to me is that the City should always do some part of the work -- so they understand the costs and issues. Enables city to write good specs, and know what things really cost. Stay competent. Keep the subs in line.

This is where Unions can be trouble. It often isn't the wage, but the unwillingness to redraw job descriptions. Things change, but union rules by law allow unions to stymie those changes.
    True, it doesn't apply to all unions, but I feel it applies to quite a few, both inside and outside the government. I have seen unions that were part of the solutions, but I've seen a vast many more that are just there to leech out as much as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    True, it doesn't apply to all unions, but I feel it applies to quite a few, both inside and outside the government. I have seen unions that were part of the solutions, but I've seen a vast many more that are just there to leech out as much as they can.
    In the bad cases, I doubt that the Unions are 'just there to leech'. I think the Union's are simply using the powers granted them by the laws, and of course they are now using their political power to elect friendly 'management'. I don't think you can blame them for doing this. In fact, I think they have an obligation to their members to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I don't understand. You've just said that the services were top-notch. Then you claim that the unionized work force doesn't provide service to residents? I'm getting whiplash ...
    I was referring to the jokers down at city hall, not the garbage collection. More often than I care to admit, I have experienced the problems that I stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Let's all hope the incinerator keeps going. If not, we'll end up with 'Trash Mountains', just like the Suburbs. [[At least we have the space now, so maybe that's an option.)

Trash collection services involve a lot more than just collecting trash. While the consensus seems to be that the actual service is good, there's a lot more to it than that. There are also issues like payroll, accounting, maintenance, management, etc. that the city of Detroit has not proven they can do efficiently. And with less efficiency comes a higher price for the residents. Bids from companies should be allowed; let the public see if Detroit's city collection service can compete with the private sector price-wise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3