Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pretty spectacular little park here - another unique attraction in downtown. Anyone go visit besides me? The Arcade Bar, under renovation next door, will reportedly also make use of it for some outdoor seating.

My barber said he was told this was about a $400,000 project. So, how much per tomato does that work out to be? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Pretty spectacular little park here - another unique attraction in downtown. Anyone go visit besides me? The Arcade Bar, under renovation next door, will reportedly also make use of it for some outdoor seating.

My barber said he was told this was about a $400,000 project. So, how much per tomato does that work out to be? :-)
    Yeah, this probably shouldn't be called a "community garden." It's some other species of creature for sure.

A few photos of the garden:

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-01 at 12.30.17 PM.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-01 at 12.30.34 PM.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-01 at 12.30.26 PM.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  44.8 KB

Sheesh. What an eyesore...

Wow! That looks really amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Sheesh. What an eyesore...
    The garden is blocking all the new development! QUICK--somebody declare the garden "structurally unsound"!

GEORGE JACKSON TO BE RAZED
    Crews already at work demolishing longtime DEGC head

DETROIT -- After months of talks on what to do with George Jackson, the now-vacant head of the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, a demolition crew is already at work demolishing the former business leader.
    The problem began several years ago, when the last tenant left George Jackson, leaving the embattled figure badly secured and open to the elements. By this time last year, scrappers had removed much of George Jackson's pipes and metals, and a long hard winter froze water that had collected in George Jackson's basement. Earlier this spring, when a section of George Jackson's face fell onto the street below, it was clear George Jackson was no longer only an eyesore, but a danger as well. After informal investigations showed that George Jackson was "structurally unsound" and "dangerous," city leaders quickly appropriated money for George Jackson to be torn down.
    Adamo Group spokespeople said that, unlike newer buildings that can be imploded easily, George Jackson was built in stages, which requires an old-fashioned demolition by wrecking ball. Earlier today, the first wrecking ball swung, shattering George Jackson's forehead, revealing an empty auditorium. A few sentimental Detroiters stood by and watched as an excavator ripped out bricks around George Jackson's temple, as a misting cannon quieted dust falling from the activity.
    One of the onlookers, 74-year-old Detroit resident Shawna Parker, shook her head watching the longtime development leader come down. "It's a shame," Parker said, "but George Jackson was so old, it was starting to look like an eyesore. I guess it had just outlived its use."
    There are no plans for future development on the site, but some city leaders suggested it could be a site for a park or a flower garden.

SATIRE SATIRE SATIRE SATIRE SATIRE SATIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Adamo Group spokespeople said that, unlike newer buildings that can be imploded easily, George Jackson was built in stages, which requires an old-fashioned demolition by wrecking ball.
    You know, that's pretty damned interesting. Wasn't the Hudson's building constructed in a lot more "stages" than the Lafayette? And wasn't Hudson's imploded in 1998? And wasn't Adamo involved in that gig as well?

"Consistency" is not the strong-suit of the [[quasi)government-demolition industrial complex.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    You know, that's pretty damned interesting. Wasn't the Hudson's building constructed in a lot more "stages" than the Lafayette? And wasn't Hudson's imploded in 1998? And wasn't Adamo involved in that gig as well?
    Huh? Oh, I don't know the engineering of it. I just wanted that image of a wrecking ball shattering his forehead.

At least, unlike Mr. Jackson, I willingly admit I have no engineering background.

I was pretty convinced that you copied a previous article from one of the fishwraps, and merely substituted "George Jackson" for "the Lafayette Building". Hence, my comment.

Haha, no, that's all from scratch. Although it's about as easy as writing an episode of Scooby-Doo thanks to the repetition effect.

Speaking of which, I should write one of those.

SHAGGY: Zoinks! The Demolition Apparition was Old Man Jackson all along!
    JACKSON [[UNMASKED): And I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you MEDDLING KIDS!

Is that metal they're using for the planter boxes? If so, what kind... and how much $ per pound would it be worth as scrap?

I was just there a little while ago. I was pretty sceptical until I got there. It's a really nice space and very peaceful. I think they did a nice job in a lousy situation [[building demoed). I like it and the food is going to Gleaners.

Stromberg2

Though this was taken in my car, in traffic, I must say the garden does look great, very official. A fun little area amongst the concrete.

I like this park, I think it's great. A BIG thanks to Compuware for giving back to the community and city.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Though this was taken in my car, in traffic, I must say the garden does look great, very official. A fun little area amongst the concrete.
    You and I have drastically definitions of the word "fun".

The success of an urban park depends not on the "park" itself, but on what is adjacent to the "park". I see a blank wall, a monstrosity of a parkingplex, Michigan Avenue, and Shelby Street [[which doesn't even have vehicular traffic on it). Those aren't exactly connective elements. I mean, can you see even one person in the garden?

What a waste of space. But I'm sure someone will get the idea that we need to spend millions more dollars to knock down thousands more square feet for more of these pathetic "gardens".

...and then all we have to do is wait for the Renaissance to happen!!!

I love the garden and am happy that something positive is being used with the space. However, I have a growing concern for the poor treatment that residents in the inner city are given with the poor EMS, bus, and police service. Once the city take care of it's residents then more people would want to move to Detroit.

Anybody know the status of that McNamara Jazz Club [[or something along those lines)?

With over 40 Sq. Miles of vacant land in Detroit we tear down a building designed by one of the most signifcant architects of the 20th century for what is at best a unless waste of space.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    With over 40 Sq. Miles of vacant land in Detroit we tear down a building designed by one of the most signifcant architects of the 20th century for what is at best a unless waste of space.
    Nice to see somebody realize the emperor is butt-ass naked.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Yeah, because a big, hulking building rotting for years unable to find a developer was such an excellent use of space.

I hated seeing this building come down. I'm not even crazy about the garden, but to pretend that the site was any better served by a years-vacant high-rise that the city genuinely tried to redevelop than by the site actually being put to some use [[any use, at all), is just a plain stupid, knee-jerk reaction. Sorry to be so blunt, but in a city where it's difficult to redevelop even more significant and intact buildings, I hate this silly knee-jerk reaction where anything torn down is the greatest sin ever committed against and in the city. This wasn't some Madison-Lenox, fly-by-night hit job. This building went through the full process.
    Last edited by Dexlin; October-14-11 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Yeah, because a big, hulking building rotting for years unable to find a developer was such an excellent use of space.

I hated seeing this building come down. I'm not even crazy about the garden, but to pretend that the site was any better served by a years-vacant high-rise that the city genuinely tried to redevelop than by the site actually being put to some use [[any use, at all), is just a plain stupid, knee-jerk reaction. Sorry to be so blunt, but in a city where it's difficult to redevelop even more significant and intact buildings, I hate this silly knee-jerk reaction where anything torn down is the greatest sin ever committed against and in the city. This wasn't some Madison-Lenox, fly-by-night hit job. This building went through the full process.
    You realyl think the city gave the full process? You must be on drugs! I have chatted with 2 well finaced groups who wanted to save the building but were stopped at every corner by inept and very greedy city officials! On top of that I doubt you have a clue to who the building's architect was and his stature worldwide. Although the same arguments were made when Penn Station was torn down in New York, its interesting years later those who called for its demolition are now lamenting its passing.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; October-14-11 at 10:58 PM.

Everybody knows somebody that knows somebody that "tried" to save a Detroit building in its last hours. Peebles couldn't come up with the funds, and Gilbert eventually passed on this, which should tell everybody something. The city had marketed this building since at least 2005, and entertained several serious offers [[as shown above).

BTW, you don't know what I know, or who I am. The architect was the prolific C. Howard Crane, and compared to his other works, this was just okay, at best.
    Last edited by Dexlin; October-14-11 at 11:36 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6