Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    If you have any council people living in PW then they should be investigated, because based on a council salary they shouldn't be able to afford living in PW
    I don't even know how to respond to this. Who do you think you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oh, sure. It's only the richest part of Detroit, where most of the City Council lives. Common knowledge. Your idea that anybody on a message board should keep comments to theirself is as ridiculous as it is hilarious. Go jump in a lake.
    If you were asking a question it would be legitimate. But you made a statement and you have know idea what your talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    I don't even know how to respond to this. Who do you think you are?
    Why do you say that.? I guess because your handle is strathcona you know everything about PW.

Historically you don't have career councilpeople living in PW. However as I failed to mention if there is a working spouse, or a special case like Gary Brown, or a foreclosure deal then I could see a council person living in PW.

However based on what they make, yeah it would raise a red flag if they were living in PW.

You can respond to it any way you like.
    Last edited by firstandten; June-08-11 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    Why would it raise a red flag?
    With Detroit's history of corruption and pay to play with its politicans I would be suspicious of any politican who seemed to be living beyond their means. In all likely-hood a councilperson living in PW absence other income that could be validated would raise a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I still am in awe that this attitude exists today that some Detroiters are somehow more authentic than other Detroiters. That somehow you must live in some bohemian collective or the ultra-ghetto to really be Detroit. Really, at this stage of the game we are still splitting hairs? I live in a modest old bungalow, but if you live in the City of Detroit and take care of your shit and respect your neighbors you are kin to me.
    Thank you. That's all most decent folks care about.

This argument is idiotic and is showing the ignorance and hatred that is so rampant in the city and why it struggles so much to improve itself. Yes Palmer Woods is a nice neighborhood and the homes are big, but no that does not mean people who live there are fabulously wealthy. There are almost 300 homes in the neighborhood and I can count on one hand the number of people I would classify as being "rich". I have lived there for 20 years and in that time not one council member has lived in the neighborhood. Inner city people might look at PW as being where rich Detroiters live so they don't have to really be in the city because it is so close to the burbs. Well here is a little history fact for you. The neighborhood is at this location because it was close to the car factories built in Highland park and it is where many of the plant managers and other executives chose to live. The people who have and do live in Palmer Woods are people who have worked hard to get to where they are in life and if they want to spend that hard earned money on a nice home then why should anyone come down on them for that? Unlike many places in the city Palmer Woods is a community with diversity in its residents and has people who give a damn about their neighborhood and work hard at keeping it a nice place to live. Yes Recon security is a bit over the top but it is better to have that than to have a truck driving around with a flashing light burning gas and doing diddly squat about crime occurring. Many of our residents are busy people who work long hours and simply do not have the time to have a neighborhood patrol. I very much doubt that anyone on here who has attacked Palmer Woods or the other neighborhoods around us have even set foot here let alone spoken with any of the people who live there. I would also like to ask this question, why would someone who is really as rich as you think we are chose to live in Detroit when they could easily buy a similar home in the burbs where taxes would be lower, crime lower, have better city services. We live here because we care about the city and we work to make it a better place, if we need to hire a private security company to patrol our streets because the DPD cannot stop crime then that is our right and I have a hard time imagining anyone else who would do otherwise. Also FYI Recon is very affordable and the cost was substantially less than any other company and we get a whole lot more service than we ever got before, so it is not like it is some big extravagant expenditure either.

Yeah, but Recon are still a bunch of fascist brownshirts. Of all the private security companies in the city I would be worried about them the most.

Why would you call them a bunch of facist brownshirts? They are polite, hard working, and good at what they do. Sure they may be a bit overbearing and maybe a bit too agressive, but in this day and age in Detroit I think that is what is called for. It is better to have them question everyone at least once in order to get a feel for the neighborhood and its residents and then know who belongs and who doesnt than to let the criminal element run amok and wreck the place. I was one of the residents who first suggested using them and conducted some of the interviews with them to see how they would fit in the neighborhood. At first I thought wow these guys are taking this thing a bit too far and it is kind of insane, but after seeing them operate I am happy to have them around. Earlier this year we had a squatter take over a home that was vacant and for sale. He turned out to be one of those whacko soverign citizens and he believed it was his right to simply take over this home. He even started to build a huge privacy fence around the sides and back of the home, on the neighbors property no less. Recon was instrumental in getting him out, and I am thankful for that because I was there when the police arrested him and he turned out to be heavily armed. Had it been neighbors going after him I hate to think of what might have happened. I think the dpd could learn a lot from Recon in terms of being much more cost effective and how to better police the city, and if they were more like Recon then we would not have to hire private security in the first place.

Well said ragnarok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2