Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

mcsdetroitfriend,

Thanks for the nice image!

Has the stonework on the lower levels been power washed, or is that the way it's looked for some time?

It seems awfully bright. I realize that the tower is mainly brickwork... but I've rarely seen images of the lower sides of the complex from this angle, and was wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    mcsdetroitfriend,

Thanks for the nice image!

Has the stonework on the lower levels been power washed, or is that the way it's looked for some time?

It seems awfully bright. I realize that the tower is mainly brickwork... but I've rarely seen images of the lower sides of the complex from this angle, and was wondering?
    I don't believe so. If you look closely you'll notice some discoloration on the main floor around the decorative sculpture over the entrance. The building's placement in this direction does a diservice as you're only going to get sun on the North face around June. It was a very bright sunny day though, and in Michigan those can be rare, so a gloomy building like MCS can look really dreadful or not so bad depending on the light [[funny how limestone can do that).

I'm sure they'll powerwash at some point, once they figure out more things to do, my hope is in getting a new roof they'll repair the balustrades above the main waiting room that've been destroyed over the years. Luckily most of the graffiti and tagging are able to be removed by high pressure washes, if you haven't seen the new Transformers yet you can see what a little high pressure can do for the place. I'll post some screen grabs soon.

Any new news on this guy?!?

Here's an update about work at the MCS by the people doing the abatement work,

http://www.michiganbuildingtrades.or...html#article02

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    Here's an update about work at the MCS by the people doing the abatement work,

http://www.michiganbuildingtrades.or...html#article02
    Thanks for the update!

It's time they also put a cemetery style tall fence around it as well as some lighting or those new windows won't last long. I don't care how much barbed wire you put on top of a fence, chain link is easier to go through with snips than to go over. Let's try a 12' steel fence painted a nice green and light the place up. Razor wire may still be necessary.

Yep, dispense with the pleasantries. Razor wire and high metal fencing... chain like fencing is often 'stolen' as well as breached.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDoyle View Post
    It's time they also put a cemetery style tall fence around it as well as some lighting or those new windows won't last long. I don't care how much barbed wire you put on top of a fence, chain link is easier to go through with snips than to go over. Let's try a 12' steel fence painted a nice green and light the place up. Razor wire may still be necessary.

What I love most about many threads in this place, are the new links one finds from time to time.
    Thanks folks....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep, dispense with the pleasantries. Razor wire and high metal fencing... chain like fencing is often 'stolen' as well as breached.
    I feel like they want to get to the point where they won't NEED a fence anymore and that's why no fence has been erected

Are they working their way up the tower ground up? I was at Slow's tonight and from the restaurant it looked like the lower level and center of the building has had its windows removed. I wold think they would go floor by floor.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Are they working their way up the tower ground up? I was at Slow's tonight and from the restaurant it looked like the lower level and center of the building has had its windows removed. I wold think they would go floor by floor.
    that's the plan...rumor has it the basement is being drained right now

Steve bennet Guest

Alright! This is a good project. Fresh new windows for people to break.

Unfortunately, without a team of security officers patrolling at all hours or a real use for the building to be inhabited, I think a fence will be necessary for some time to come. YES, it will be nice when one day it doesn't need a fence....but I'm sure they don't want to see their investment destroyed by a couple idiots with a pair of wire cutters and a plan for destruction.

If they're smart, they'll spend the bucks and install a fence like this:
    http://www.crewbie.com/designlinestu...rity_fence.jpg

They're much harder to get through than chain link and yes the photographers can still poke their lenses through the slats for photos. Also, assuming they continue their smart-streak, they'll put plexi-glass covers over the lower window panes as a temporary measure, to curtail the damage of any future rock throwers....

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Unfortunately, without a team of security officers patrolling at all hours or a real use for the building to be inhabited, I think a fence will be necessary for some time to come. YES, it will be nice when one day it doesn't need a fence....but I'm sure they don't want to see their investment destroyed by a couple idiots with a pair of wire cutters and a plan for destruction.

If they're smart, they'll spend the bucks and install a fence like this:
    http://www.crewbie.com/designlinestu...rity_fence.jpg

They're much harder to get through than chain link and yes the photographers can still poke their lenses through the slats for photos. Also, assuming they continue their smart-streak, they'll put plexi-glass covers over the lower window panes as a temporary measure, to curtail the damage of any future rock throwers....
    Something like that, except 12' which is what they use at airports. And possibly a low concrete knee wall to prevent people from digging under. As ridiculous as that sounds, people will try.

But a fence like that is really expensive. Welded mesh fences are cheaper and though they appear easy to cut, they aren't at all, and you can't climb them either. From far away, they tend to look more attractive, but up close your vision is heavily screened, so not good for photo taking.

Though I'd ignore the concerns of appealing to photographers and think more about putting up what's best to protect the building. After all, they can just stand back a bit to get the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Something like that, except 12' which is what they use at airports. And possibly a low concrete knee wall to prevent people from digging under. As ridiculous as that sounds, people will try.

But a fence like that is really expensive. Welded mesh fences are cheaper and though they appear easy to cut, they aren't at all, and you can't climb them either. From far away, they tend to look more attractive, but up close your vision is heavily screened, so not good for photo taking.

Though I'd ignore the concerns of appealing to photographers and think more about putting up what's best to protect the building. After all, they can just stand back a bit to get the photo.
    Also the aluminium fences mentioned are similar to the ones that were at brewster and look at how those fared....once lights and cameras are up itll be nice and we'll see what happens

This thread reminds me of a topic that was on here a few short years ago.

A symbol of decay

The building is known as the Roosevelt Warehouse, once belonging to the Detroit Public Schools as a book repository. Located near 14th Street and Michigan Avenue, the warehouse burned in 1987 and caused something of a scandal as thousands of books, scissors, footballs and crayons were left to rot while Detroit schoolchildren -- some of the poorest children in the country -- went without supplies.

The building was eventually sold to Matty Moroun, the trucking and real estate mogul who is worth billions of dollars and is the largest private property owner in the state of Michigan. Among other properties, Moroun owns the decrepit Michigan Central Rail Depot that squats directly next to the warehouse. The train station has become the symbol of Detroit's decay. Like much of his property in southwestern Detroit, Moroun's warehouse and the train station are gaping sores.

The warehouse is so easily accessible, a person in a wheelchair could get in with little effort. There are holes in the fence and in the side entrance. The elevator shaft is wide open. It appears no one has ever tried to close the bay doors.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20090129/...#ixzz1UDZSOFSc

We're all aware Bigb23 what has happened in the past.... and your point is.....??

When Amtrak took over the private train lines, what lines were there still coming to/from MCS? Was it only the train to Chicago left? Or was it a slow dismantling of other lines until Chicago remained?

Off topic, but what does that star reprisent in the topic title?

I went down to take pictures a couple weekends ago. Finally got my thoughts and pictures together. I also took some of the Broderick Tower that I will put up later this week.

You can check out the pictures here: http://wp.me/p11aZb-q9

Enjoy

woodwardspine.com

Found a neat Shorpy photograph showing the early stages of construction. Check it out here: http://wp.me/p11aZb-ri

If you have time please vote: http://detroit.blogger.cbslocal.com/...oodward-spine/

Train station in 87

"One staggering step at a time, the Michigan Central Station is showing signs of life.
    Fueled by funds from Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Moroun, workers toiling since early spring have removed tons of debris, broken glass, caulking and asbestos from the derelict building.
    While workers do the grunt work, architect and feasibility experts are constantly on-site, evaluating the future of the once-elegant structure off Michigan Avenue in Corktown.
    "Can it be saved? Of course," said Elisabeth E. Knibbe of Ann Arbor-based Quinn Evans Architects.
    "Structurally, the building is very sound. I've seen buildings brought around that were in much worse shape than this. I'm confident it can be saved."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110825/...#ixzz1W5cCO81d

=D

An outstanding article by the Detroit News and some great photos, too. Here is the full text for when the News' online archive period ends and we'd all like to re-read it:

August 25. 2011 4:17PM Dusting off the depot: Moroun making good on cleanup

Tom Greenwood/ The Detroit News

One staggering step at a time, the Michigan Central Station is showing signs of life.

Fueled by funds from Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Moroun, workers toiling since early spring have removed tons of debris, broken glass, caulking and asbestos from the derelict building.

While workers do the grunt work, architect and feasibility experts are constantly on-site, evaluating the future of the once-elegant structure off Michigan Avenue in Corktown.

"Can it be saved? Of course," said Elisabeth E. Knibbe of Ann Arbor-based Quinn Evans Architects.

"Structurally, the building is very sound. I've seen buildings brought around that were in much worse shape than this. I'm confident it can be saved."

But after decades of neglect, why now?

Some suspect it might be a publicity stunt by Moroun to win the public over in his fight with the Michigan Department of Transportation over its plans to build a bridge between Windsor and Detroit.

Joe Rashid, who lives on 24th Street behind the station, questioned Moroun's motives but is keeping his fingers crossed.

"I guess the true test will be after a vote on the New International Trade Crossing," said Rashid, 30.

"If he continues working on the building after the vote, then I guess he's being genuine for once.

"I love the station and think it can be saved, but how much better off would it be if it hadn't gotten into this condition in the first place?"

Phillip Cooley, owner of the popular Slows Bar BQ, dismissed those rumors.
    "I've heard that talk, and I think the Morouns are smarter than that," Cooley said.

"New windows and a new roof won't do it. I think Nora Moroun [[Matty Moroun's wife) has a real affinity for the building and is also looking at the family's legacy.

"Personally, I'm very excited about what's going on over there."

Preservation plan

The Morouns purchased the 18-story depot in 1996 and have since faced unrelenting criticism for letting it fall into disrepair, even though trains stopped running there in 1988 and it was already in decline.

"We decided that we weren't going to tear it down, instead we were going to preserve it through a multi-level approach," said Matthew Moroun, the son of Matty Moroun.

"In order to preserve it, we have to clean it up, replace the windows and the roof to keep water out of the building. We also intend to secure it to keep people out."

Since the spring, the family said it has spent nearly $1 million on preservation efforts.

"We're closing in on a million pretty fast just for cleanup, removing the broken glass, asbestos and caulking," Matthew Moroun said.

"We expect it will take anywhere from 18 to 24 months to get to the point where we can take a realistic look at what can be done with the building."

Knibbe said there is no set timetable for installation of the new glass and roof.
    "Measurements have to be taken, glass has to be ordered plus we're still clearing debris from the roof," said Knibbe, who helped restore the Fox Theatre, Fort Shelby Hotel and old Wayne County Courthouse.

Majestic concourse

A look inside the depot generates awe paired with a Pompeian sense of history and former grandeur.

The concourse — now marred with graffiti and scarred by vandalism — is vast and majestic. Marble arches support a vaulted ceiling more than 60 feet high before leading to a hall that housed a ticket office and shopping arcade to accommodate as many as 4,000 travelers who once arrived there daily.

Bathed in shades of black, white and gray, the interior is a good 20 degrees cooler than outside and the wind whistles in through hundreds of glassless windows.

The depot, whose construction began in 1913, was modeled after the Roman Baths of Caracalla, circa 212 A.D.

In a case of history repeating itself, those baths were also sacked and destroyed by vandals, but in the year 600 A.D.

The terminal "was designed by the same firms that designed Grand Central Terminal," said Scott Griffin of the New York City firm of Ramscale Inc., which is doing a feasibility study on the use of the train depot.

"This building is the holy grail of those who are devoted to historic preservation."
    Knibbe and Griffin said they see huge potential in the station and in the city.

"Both are a blank canvas," Griffin said. "For decades New York was the center of creativity, but New York is over.

"Real estate there is so expensive that it's impossible to take risks, so it has become a place that just sells things, like Singapore."

Griffin said Detroit has the infrastructure, the work force and a low cost of living.
    "I believe Detroit will be the next New York," Griffin said.

In the long run, Griffin and Knibbe said they see artists, businesses and perhaps even residents occupying the building.

"The view from the upper floors, including the roof, is spectacular," Knibbe said.

"You can see all of Detroit, the Ambassador Bridge, the river and Canada. It's unbelievable."

'Encouraging step'

Dan Lijana, spokesman for Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, said upgrades at the terminal are "an encouraging step."

"The city needs all property owners to be a partner in eliminating blight and revitalizing neighborhoods," Lijana said.

One longtime Moroun critic, state Rep. Rashida Tlaib — who represents southwest Detroit where the station is located — said she welcomes efforts to revive the building.

"I, along with a lot of residents, have been longing for something like this to be done with the building," Tlaib said.

"Residents have complained that blight brought crime into the area and has made Roosevelt Park, which is right in front of the building, unsafe sometimes. While we welcome redevelopment, I'm just sad that it took years of screaming to do it."

Tlaib said she hopes the Morouns will institute neighborhood meetings to garner ideas for the building from residents.

"I would urge them to also work with local artists to renovate the building," Tlaib said. "And I hope they focus on local help to renovate the building."

Matthew Moroun said repairing the building will be a long and costly process.
    "There's no silver bullet for the building," Moroun said. "That's a dream."

Amid all the graffiti in the concourse, one faded graphic did express a dream.

It said: "SAVE DETROIT."

tgreenwood@detnews.com

Any updates on what is going on?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast