Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Rocko, I have to respectfully disagree... like with the Book Cadillac, I would like to see every last bit of the abandoned past erased... there's enough of it in video already....

Mallory.... LOL.... I have to agree... that guy says that the MCS is beyond gone... I'd love to see him eat his words...

Wow, even the removal of the glass, etc. from the large windows looks good. This will be exciting, it will require a few visits over the summer to check out the changes.

I bet that a fixed up MCS could really have some spectacular lighting at night.

If a new amphitheatre was built in Detroit to regretfully replace Chene Park, I couldn't think of a more spectacular backdrop than an amphitheatre in Roosevelt Park with the MCS lit up behind it...

I was just viewing a concert at an ancient Roman Amphitheatre in Croatia and it kind of gives you an idea of what it would be like...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzB8x...feature=relmfu

Neon and all... the RenCen just couldn't come close as a spectacular backdrop....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Rocko, I have to respectfully disagree... like with the Book Cadillac, I would like to see every last bit of the abandoned past erased... there's enough of it in video already....

Mallory.... LOL.... I have to agree... that guy says that the MCS is beyond gone... I'd love to see him eat his words...
    Erased or passionately restored

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

If a new amphitheatre was built in Detroit to regretfully replace Chene Park, I couldn't think of a more spectacular backdrop than an amphitheatre in Roosevelt Park with the MCS lit up behind it....
    What a great idea.

Phil Cooley as part of his plan for Roosevelt Park wants to include an amphitheater

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Erased or passionately restored
    Passionately restored!!

I ate enough crow from all of the negative comments I made over the years about the Book Cadillac. I walked past that building every day for years and kept thinking what a tragedy it was that it was left standing. Look what happened there, and let's hope [[my fingers are paralyzed from being crossed so much) that Moron comes through with this project in similar fashion.

Work continues

Thanks for the video update.

The concourse 1993...3 years prior to Maroun's purchase of Michigan Central station

Photo credit: Flickr.com user cmmeneghini

I'm stil wondering. Are there already new windows in or is all this a Punch and Judy show and is the remainder of the building going to be boarded up?

Found another old picture on flickr. Again the concourse, now in 2008.

Another picture in that series is this one.How incredibly fitting. Look at the text of that book.

MCS set.

MCS, 1971, [[c) Lindsaybridge

1971, sideview. [[c) Lindsaybridge, Even Roosevelt book depsitory looks nice.

This must be a photoshop job....

[[c) Friend_in_Detroit

And lots of candy to be found in the LOC.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-26-11 at 06:04 PM.

According to http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/asbestos...no.asp?id=8930 they have until the 29th of July to get all the windows out of the first floor

That first Lindsay Bridge photo is so iconic not only of Penn Central's dying passenger rail business, but of the declining era of the MC Station. In the late 70s, an impressive restoration of the depot would pump over a million dollars into repairs and upgrades in amenities, but it would not last. It's a great photo of the old NYC cigar-band E units with PC worms logo half-heartedly hanging on. Thanks for sharing those photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    That first Lindsay Bridge photo is so iconic not only of Penn Central's dying passenger rail business, but of the declining era of the MC Station. In the late 70s, an impressive restoration of the depot would pump over a million dollars into repairs and upgrades in amenities, but it would not last. It's a great photo of the old NYC cigar-band E units with PC worms logo half-heartedly hanging on. Thanks for sharing those photos!
    At least one did survive.

Whitehouse, I've said it before, you find some incredible photos! Thanks!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Whitehouse, I've said it before, you find some incredible photos! Thanks!

Stromberg2
    Hahaha!! I'm the undisputed master of the search filters! Bow down to me!

Meanwhile.
    This link has been posted here before once or twice but I can't get enough of it wondering around the station. And what's going on in the Moroun familiy? Have they been bitten by an early Christmas bug? [[I think Scrooge visited Matty )

Open source design has this idea. It's an idea we've seen before.

Haha Robocop will NOT be going there, it's going in tech town

NYC E8A #4085 also survives, at the National New York Central Railroad Museum in Elkhart, Indiana. This was the last leading locomotive of the famed 20th Century Limited in 1967. The opposite side of the locomotive has some of the side panels replaced with plexiglass so viewers on the freighthouse platform can see into the engine compartment. I volunteered there a few years ago and it's worth a visit if you're interested in such things and are passing through the area.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1261883315.jpg

Has anyone gone to the station to see how they are coming along? I was thinking about going down there to get some pictures and wanted to know if it's worth the time to or not.

Have they moved to other windows in the building? Any roof repair vehicles or what not?

www.woodwardspine.com

I drove by twice in the last ten days or so. There was a bucket crain or two there and some noticeable removal of glass, etc. in the large concourse window frames. I had a couple of friends in the car with me and remarked that even the bare window frames were nice to see after so many years of continual breakage and deterioration of the structure.

What is even more impressive is the planting of grasses, etc. in the island - a bit of Roosevelt Park in front of the building. I personally think it's too much decorative grass - that planting all grasses sort of looks mundane. But it's definitely better than a litter-strewn badly mowed strip of neglected city park. And it does give the impression that efforts are being made to improve the appearance of the area.

Here's an old discussion about the start of the planting process.

And the Transformers crew was there as well last year and back then there was also some work done.

At the run-down Michigan Central Station, which he calls a world-class structure, much effort was devoted to getting it "not to its original glory, but the best we could" for the shoot. Marble floors were polished and some graffiti was removed for a scene set in Chicago. "We went in there and made it look like the place was in use, but since the Decepticons have attacked the city, this was one of the buildings that was hit," Hook said.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-06-11 at 10:40 AM.

Did a drive by on my way to Warped tour and saw this action. Looks like the wind blew in most of the plastic, but this went around most of the Mezzanine A windows on the north east and west faces

Thanks for this update photo. I was just thinking yesterday that they must be done with the arched windows on the facade and be moving on to the sides, but which windows are they doing there? Now I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Thanks for this update photo. I was just thinking yesterday that they must be done with the arched windows on the facade and be moving on to the sides, but which windows are they doing there? Now I know!
    it does look like they're doing some of the side windows but also the inside as well...also it looks like they've removed a very large sheet of plywood that was affixed over what used to be a door or a large window directly behind and underneath the carriage entrance. Makes for a very spooky view of the basement!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast