Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I could have swore I saw a 2009 date in the original post's article.

Gosh darn it, some people just love to bump old threads.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-21-10 at 04:01 PM.

The plan is probably going though the political red tape as other plans of building a mall in detroit goes through. The neighboring suburbs probably want to profit from the piece of the action

That's kind of unhelpful. I mean, that's the deal with boundaries, they're defining. Kinda of like the way you can't drink the day before you turn 21.

I want to know what the heck is with the "shoppes". Can't we spell things according to the norms of this century? Or do we think spelling it "shoppes" will make it somehow more suburban??

bartock Guest

http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...text|FRONTPAGE

Pardon my cynicism, but gee, where have we heard this before?

hopefully if this finally happens, there will be a unique restaurant to set up there.. the article mentions McDonald's, but, well, that's not unique..

Why would a unique restaurant want to be in a glorified high-rent strip mall?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Why would a unique restaurant want to be in a glorified high-rent strip mall?
    Unless by "unique" you mean applebees haha

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...text|FRONTPAGE

Pardon my cynicism, but gee, where have we heard this before?
    Pardon my cynicism, but wasn't this project intended to be more upscale than a meijer, marshalls, and mcdonalds. It was open knowledge that the developer wanted to have a few chain restaurants at least. This went from being a regional destination to just another huge parking lot with a few big box stores... Very disappointed that a bunch of tax credits and such were used for such a mediocre project.

why can't a slow's bbq or Fishbone's type place set up there?

Nothing against restaurants, but I'd rather have a restaurant someplace where it would improve the street life than in what [[if it happens) is almost certainly going to be a shopping center surrounded by a sea of parking. The location is rather pedestrian-unfriendly even if they designed the center itself not to be, which I expect they won't.

As far as the people who were expecting something more upscale, this doesn't really fit in with Meijer's as the anchor tenant. Meijer's is fine, but it doesn't scream "haute cuisine" or even "fine dining". More the "family dining" kind of vibe, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Pardon my cynicism, but wasn't this project intended to be more upscale than a meijer, marshalls, and mcdonalds. It was open knowledge that the developer wanted to have a few chain restaurants at least. This went from being a regional destination to just another huge parking lot with a few big box stores... Very disappointed that a bunch of tax credits and such were used for such a mediocre project.
    I'm not disappointed at all - any kind of decent retail in that area sounds fantastic to me. If I see another party store / wig store / hair braiding place / nail salon I'll throw up.

I don't know what kind of regional destination you expected, like a Great Lakes Crossing South or something?

New retail is good. We cant be so picky here. The jobs would be great and if light rail gets built, this would be right next to the park and ride location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2