Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Apropos to this, I am reminded of the young man's plaintive remark on this Board that here girls think you are a loser if all you have is a bike to get around on. Need to keep that in mind.
    Any woman who would look upon someone who is doing his own thing as a "loser" isn't worth spending time with in the first place.

I am looking to move back to Detroit very soon. The only reason I am looking to buy a car is that in order to find a job I believe a prospective employer would likely hold prejudice against a possible employee who is without an automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Any woman who would look upon someone who is doing his own thing as a "loser" isn't worth spending time with in the first place.

I am looking to move back to Detroit very soon. The only reason I am looking to buy a car is that in order to find a job I believe a prospective employer would likely hold prejudice against a possible employee who is without an automobile.
    I agree with you!IMO she[[or he)wouldn't be worth the time of day imo.
    As for needing a car for work well I agree with you there too. It's one thing to be without a car[[by choice or by circumstance)here for things non work related. For getting to and from work a car is an absolute neccessity!

A car is a clear advantage if you are thinking of relocating here! You may have to work in the suburbs and even with the Smart bus system many business and institutions in the suburbs are not right on or near these bus lines.

Also, if you live in the city near a DOT bus line they've been cut so an urban-to-suburban work commute can easily add two to three hours average into you work day just commuting. Add even more time for the long winters we have.

I've worked in the suburbs for many years and still do part-time and have had to do the ''bus thing" when my car is down for repairs. Not a good time. And while possibly illegal [[?) I've had temporary agencies ask me if I had a car. I was able to say yes.

They prefer employees that drive as they know the bus situation is poor here.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-12-11 at 08:02 AM.

Yes, with some of the few jobs located in somewhat inconvenient [[non-bus routes) it's just a necessity I don't even think twice about any more. I just drive decent used cars, without car notes. Car insurance is a problem but you deal with it. It's less when you buy used low-profile cars. If you do your research you can find cheaper less "expensive" non-brand name car insurance companies.

I prefer to bike/ cycle at the gym or on bike trails for exercise and relaxation and not for daily transportation due to the danger [[insane drivers) and timeliness factor.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I agree with you!IMO she[[or he)wouldn't be worth the time of day imo.
    As for needing a car for work well I agree with you there too. It's one thing to be without a car[[by choice or by circumstance)here for things non work related. For getting to and from work a car is an absolute neccessity!

^^^Understood&agreed! When I was younger I took a job that required me to take a Smart[[then Semta ) that would go only so far. I'd then have to walk a couple miles the rest of the way. I couldn't afford a car then.As soon as fianaces cleared a bit I bought a dependable used car. I didn't want the note then and don't want the note now. I'm not a Rockerfeller&not yet on skid row lol but to this day don't want to get tied down with a car note. I prefer buying a later model dependable car that will ride me in comfort without a monthly note. I figure the money that'd be spent on a note can go to the repair costs that are sure to pop up. The thing that always bothered me about owning a car in Detroit was the high insurance rates. Even no-fault seem too high imo.I once knew a mechaninc that lived in Macomb Co. His wife was telling my dad that dad,his wife,and I should leave the city&move there. My dad loved Detroit&told her he'd never leave. He complained about the auto insurance&the woman told him the price of insurance for her husband's van&her car combined. The rate was unbelievably low!That was over 15 years ago&the price for insurance in Detroit is still ridiculous imo.
    As for the bike,I'm just getting back into cycling now. I got into it mostly for the exercise but I'm enjoying it so much I may start to do a bit more errand running on the cycle.Maybe I'll start going to the market to pick up a bag or two of groceries&might take advantage of the buses with bike racks so I can ride to the doc/dentist appts too.
    Last edited by trotwood; June-12-11 at 11:24 AM.

^^^^ Yes, it's tough to afford/ maintain a car, but life in the 'D' and getting to the suburbs for work, etc. requires driving and most employers prefer you have a car. It is extremely difficult to do without one.

Some banks and local credit unions offer car insurance referrals to non-brand name insurance companies. These companies have far, FAR lower rates than the ones seen advertising on TV. To advertise on TV etc. the big foot insurers 'must' pass those costs on you. And with the red-lining in Detroit insurance for a new car is astronomical with no-fault for a used car extremely expensive too...

I dispensed with the State Farms, AAA's, and Allstate type insurances well over 15 years ago. I once had a used car insured with Michigan Millers and they were great! I'd never heard of them prior to my bank giving me their contact info. There are many non-brand name insurance companies out there, but they don't heavily advertise.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-12-11 at 06:44 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3