Looks like there have been a few threads about car-free incentives and such, but I want to pose the question: Is it at all possible, really, to live without a car Detroit?

I've read that roughly 20-25% of Detroiters do not have access to a car. I assume these are almost all people who are too poor to own a car and would buy one if they could.

But what about a young professional person who could otherwise afford it simply prefers to avoid the hassle and expense of owning a car?

I've lived happily car-free in Boston for the past four years, and now I'm considering moving to Detroit. The biggest downside I can see is not the lack of jobs, but the necessity of buying a car. Is it possible to get away without one? Does anyone do this? It doesn't seem easy, but maybe it's possible to make do with a combination of walking, biking, taxis, and informal car-sharing. Would that be a reasonable challenge, or just miserable?

I'm originally from MI, so I understand it's obviously far more car-centric than Boston. But is there any place for a car-free lifestyle?