Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Hey Richard, one of those "underlying realities" is how Detroit is unattractive for recent in-state college graduates. I don't think his vision is as short-sighted as yours.

I understand his vision clearly as it is well published,rebuild Detroit with 20 somethings going the tech route,and Detroit is going to be the next Silicone valley.

So if one looks at that aspect what percentage of recent graduates are going to come up with the next popular Iphone app and make millions.

With MI divided up into sections of maybe 4 at the most of first stage funding aspects maybe 1% will acquire funding at best what about the rest? Where are they going to work? Maybe California where all you need to do is have a tech idea and you have first stage funders tripping over each other.

If one keeps up with the tech aspect it is clear that a bubble is there,what happens then when it bursts? You have a city built on tech all you are doing is replacing the automotive aspect with tech which is just as subsectable to the ebbs and flows.

In my opinion Detroit and the surrounding neighborhoods/suburbs already has in place what at this time is this countries greatest asset which is the combined experienced knowledge of what it takes to move this country and all of that is being kicked to the curb,such a waste. China is closing its doors to the outside manufacturing aspect and in the end we all are going to be sitting on the curb collecting unemployment and playing games on our Iphones watching the world pass us by.

There is no brain drain happening in Detroit and surrounding but there is a serious lack of utilizing the existing brain power to benefit the public good for all for the benefit of a specific few chosen ones according to plan.

I guess the real test for a 20 something would be to pick a vacant building,come up with a rehab plan and a business plan and present that to Mr Gilbert and see where it goes in regards to funding.

But hey its just my personal opinion based on my personal experience and research and the realities of why one city choses not to embrace what other cities would welcome.

But I am "old" so I guess I would be considered not Detroit potential

No disrespect is intended to anybody no matter what age group it is all just a personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So if one looks at that aspect what percentage of recent graduates are going to come up with the next popular Iphone app and make millions.
    In the early 20th century would you have said investing in the auto industry would be a bad move because what percent of the population will be the next Henry Ford and invent a Model T? Not every one has to be the great inventor or visionary.

With MI divided up into sections of maybe 4 at the most of first stage funding aspects maybe 1% will acquire funding at best what about the rest? Where are they going to work? Maybe California where all you need to do is have a tech idea and you have first stage funders tripping over each other.
    So we shouldn't create tech jobs or venture capital firms that specialize in tech firms, because we don't have them [[it isn't true, but I'll play along), they're all in California. Instead of trying to change that we should give up and tell people to move West?

If one keeps up with the tech aspect it is clear that a bubble is there,what happens then when it bursts? You have a city built on tech all you are doing is replacing the automotive aspect with tech which is just as subsectable to the ebbs and flows.
    This makes no sense. You're saying that we shouldn't try to have technology jobs because the industry will have ebbs and flows? What industry doesn't! And no one is saying we should replace the automotive industry that we still have... it would compliment it [[as well as all of the other industries in the area). What is so terrible about diversifying the economy? In fact it would help us survive those ebbs and flows you mentioned so much more easily if we had a few more viable industries.

There is no brain drain happening in Detroit and surrounding but there is a serious lack of utilizing the existing brain power to benefit the public good for all for the benefit of a specific few chosen ones according to plan.
    No brain drain? Check the thread about how many people left Michigan last year.

I see a lot of stuff on this message board that I disagree with, but typically I can understand the other person's view points and see why they might think that way. This is not one of those times. The only way I can rationalize these thoughts is to think that maybe you're old and think that tech jobs are a bunch of nonsense because you simply don't understand what it is.

detmsp

I would love to continue this discussion but at the risk of either a thread jack or boring everybody else I will leave it at that.